Author Topic: Woman's persistence pays off in regenerated fingertip  (Read 1176 times)

Offline DavidQ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Question authority!
Woman's persistence pays off in regenerated fingertip
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:00:52 PM »
Woman's persistence pays off in regenerated fingertip
By Elizabeth Cohen, CNN Senior Medical Correspondent
September 9, 2010 4:51 p.m. EDT
http://cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/09/09/pinky.regeneration.surgery/

I think this case qualifies as a minor amputation. Plus there is the example of the liver regenerating from a lobe. So I think there is precedence for healing an amputation. (In another thread, which I've alas lost track of, someone posited that perhaps a god can't heal amputees because that was never part of the natural order that "he" created.

Why won't god heal amputees? I think it's because he's too busy creating misery all over the world.

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +405/-13
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Woman's persistence pays off in regenerated fingertip
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:46:53 PM »
A quote from the site,
"Even now it's not perfect. It's shorter than the other pinky, ...
If it wasn't perfect, it wasn't God. I suspect this is the work of Satan and she should be burnt as a witch.

More seriously, regeneration of the tip of the finger is quite common - somewhere amongst my posts, I have a medical report from approx 1930.

Have a look at http://gerad.s3.amazonaws.com/hand_0.jpg (The image is too big to link) This isn't the best example, but you can see that there is an area of flesh above the bone on each finger. As long as the bone is not taken, the finger tip stands a good chance of regeneration.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 07:48:41 PM by Graybeard »
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Brad the Bold

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
They show the finger next to a ruler at the time of injury, but not after the "regeneration" occurred. How much length grew back?

A side by side MRI would put to rest wether she regenerated normal tissue or just laid down a wad of scar tissue.

To their credit they don't put it down to a miracle. But they need to do better controls and documentation if they are trying to validate a novel therapudic method.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:41 AM »
If I had a nickel for every fingertip of mine that was shredded or burned off then grew back I could purchase god and use him as an ornament in my fish tank. In fact, if they didn't grow back I'd be typing with my elbow stumps. Now if Father PerfectTM can make my teeth grow back...well I might jolly well let him out of the fish tank for awhile.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:31:17 AM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!