yes, discovering that religion in false was a deep revelation
12 (32.4%)
I'm a bit embarassed to have been a believer in the past
7 (18.9%)
proud? WTF. Nothing to be proud about.
8 (21.6%)
WTF
2 (5.4%)
I'm a believer and I'm praying every day that the members here will find salvation.
0 (0%)
other
8 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Are you proud to be an atheist?  (Read 849 times)

Offline rickymooston

Are you proud to be an atheist?
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
I sometimes get the feeling disbelief is represented like an entry criterion into an exclusive club like MENSA. You feel that by disbelieving in God, people actually claim to have some positive knowledge.

I think perhaps some people may have gone through vast emotional struggles to deconvert but for me at least the question isn't why you disbelieve but why you used to believe.

I could discuss my former belief. I was vulnerable and she was attractive. She invited me to church shortly after my mother died. I had been bullied and I felt a sense of belonging. I've always been naturally spiritual and the new testament was really inspiring. The sense of sharing with those fellowship members was really awesome.

My conversion wasn't a logical thing but an emotional one. A deep connection I felt combined eventually with a sense of remorse about the pending damnation of the unsaved and a sense of guilt at being unable to give them the "good news".  :police:
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Are you proud to be an atheist?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
You should learn how to properly create polls. I could vote on up to five options. There are five options in total, most of which are contradictory.
You should also take polls a little more seriously, unless they're in the "Chatter" section.
EDIT: As for your question, I voted on the first option, since there wasn't an "Other" option. I am proud to be an atheist, not (only) because it is the truth, but because it is who I am.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 09:56:36 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
I do not really need to deal with religion and the scolding father figures. For my social issues I deal with people directly. No middleman needed.

So pride does not enter into it. Do I feel superior? Maybe, more annoyed at how stupid people generally are. I have dealt with clever people who catch on riight away, but religion is not involved in my work issues.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:00:02 AM by Tero »

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
Lucifer:About the same, so I took WTF as the same as other.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:00:51 AM by Tero »

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
I voted yes, but the pride I feel is akin to the pride I might feel if I got an A on a test instead of a D.  It's like the pride you might have for understanding something to a fuller extent than you did in the past.   I was never a believer, so I don't have any idea what it would be like to shed that belief in the first place.

Also, since I believe organized religion is an awful thing for the world, I feel some sense of pride that I am trying to speak out against it... meager as my efforts may be.   
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +685/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »
Nah, I'm proud not to be a believer. My atheism is a frickin' bonus.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »
You should learn how to properly create polls. I could vote on up to five options. There are five options in total, most of which are contradictory.

You would be surprised how often people want to say "both" for options that appear contradictory.

You should also take polls a little more seriously, unless they're in the "Chatter" section.

I take them seriously enough given the givens of a relatively small forum but the interpretation of the poll requires some thought

From a point of view of statistical analysis, the number of respondants to a poll is typically small. The max would be around 50 votes. A typical poll has far fewer.

At some point, it would be interesting to have the forum software deal with multiple options in the analysis as well; e.g., how many people chose option "X" given that they chose option "Y".

The discussions around the polls are often more interesting. Some peope just respond to the polls but many explain why they chose a given option.

EDIT: As for your question, I voted on the first option, since there wasn't an "Other" option. I am proud to be an atheist, not (only) because it is the truth, but because it is who I am.

I usually include the other option. Sorry for the oversight.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:22:15 AM »
I am proud to be an atheist, not (only) because it is the truth, but because it is who I am.

Do you mean, you'd rather be sincere with people and express your disbelief than stay in the "closet" about it? I'm not sure if I understand your meaning here when you refer to "who I am".

I do not really need to deal with religion and the scolding father figures. For my social issues I deal with people directly. No middleman needed.

So pride does not enter into it. Do I feel superior? Maybe, more annoyed at how stupid people generally are. I have dealt with clever people who catch on riight away, but religion is not involved in my work issues.

Stupid in what sense? Have you not also met intelligent people who believe and stupid people who disbelieve? I've met several genius level people who believed and indeed some of their beliefs were quite far fetched. I worked with a guy who believed the end of the world was coming but at work he was one of the most brilliant software developers I've ever met.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:25:31 AM by rickymooston »

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
You don't have an option for those of us who have never believed in god.

As for pride, there are many definitions. I agree that I feel this kind of pride in being a nonbeliever, from http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pride ...

pride  (pra?d)
— n

1. a feeling of honour and self-respect; a sense of personal worth

That sense of pride comes from feeling that I'm not gullible to ancient stories and superstitions. That I don't buy into a patriarchal system. And that I, as a woman, am as valuable as any man (see patriarchal system above).
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 12:44:49 PM »
No I meant just stupid in general. We had a strike at work and had to work packaging a highly regulated product. In place of the strikers. It was sometimes hard to tell, but some people took weeks to catch on. To some, every problem was solved once and memorized. Faith or no faith had nothing to do with.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 02:38:01 PM »
I am proud to be an atheist, not (only) because it is the truth, but because it is who I am.

Do you mean, you'd rather be sincere with people and express your disbelief than stay in the "closet" about it? I'm not sure if I understand your meaning here when you refer to "who I am".

I would prefer to be sincere with people about everything, but there are things that they're not ready to know, and/or I'm not ready to reveal, but this has nothing to do with that.
I'm proud to be who I am simply because it is who I am. That is what I wrote and it is what I meant.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »
I'm proud of my disbelief. I am proud that I got away from my homophobic, fundie past. I am ashamed that I used to think of homosexuals as something lower than me, simple because I had a belief in a personal god, and because I found their actions and lifestyle repulsive in my god's eyes. I am proud I no longer feel this way.[1] Reflecting on my religious past I used to belief in 'pray the gay away' and other bullshit. But now I am proud I don't, only because of my disbelief in a god, and realizing that my belief in a god was poisoning my mind, was causing me to think lowly of others who didn't share the same belief I had.

I currently live in NY and in a community where people really don't care what your belief is. Sure, there are a few fundies around, but overall the population keeps their head out of other peoples' lives. There is no need for me to broadcast my disbelief and wear it like a badge of honor because no one really cares. When I got to where I grew up, Nashville, Tennessee, there are fundies running amok, and I am more proud to express my disbelief in their god when in their presence, because they are expressing their belief in god more rampantly.

I guess for me it all comes down to who I am surrounded by. I am proud to openly say in Nashville that I don't have a belief in god, while surrounded by that specific god's believers. I guess for me it all comes down to if someone informs me that they are proud to belief in god, I will openly inform them that I am proud I don't believe in god. But when I go out into a society that doesn't display their beliefs I don't even think about my disbelief because there's no reason to.
 1. It wasn't just the homosexuals, but other people who didn't fit into my religious criteria of being saved. That criteria being 'sinners' who will not repent.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 01:42:48 AM »
I would prefer to be sincere with people about everything, but there are things that they're not ready to know, and/or I'm not ready to reveal, but this has nothing to do with that.

Well each to her own time on that one. We each have a right to our own privacy.

I'm proud to be who I am simply because it is who I am. That is what I wrote and it is what I meant.

I see. I think

I am ashamed that I used to think of homosexuals as something lower than me, simple because I had a belief in a personal god, and because I found their actions and lifestyle repulsive in my god's eyes. I am proud I no longer feel this way.[1] Reflecting on my religious past I used to belief in 'pray the gay away' and other bullshit. But now I am proud I don't, only because of my disbelief in a god, and realizing that my belief in a god was poisoning my mind, was causing me to think lowly of others who didn't share the same belief I had.

I currently live in NY and in a community where people really don't care what your belief is. Sure, there are a few fundies around, but overall the population keeps their head out of other peoples' lives. There is no need for me to broadcast my disbelief and wear it like a badge of honor because no one really cares. When I got to where I grew up, Nashville, Tennessee, there are fundies running amok, and I am more proud to express my disbelief in their god when in their presence, because they are expressing their belief in god more rampantly.

I guess for me it all comes down to who I am surrounded by. I am proud to openly say in Nashville that I don't have a belief in god, while surrounded by that specific god's believers. I guess for me it all comes down to if someone informs me that they are proud to belief in god, I will openly inform them that I am proud I don't believe in god. But when I go out into a society that doesn't display their beliefs I don't even think about my disbelief because there's no reason to.
 1. It wasn't just the homosexuals, but other people who didn't fit into my religious criteria of being saved. That criteria being 'sinners' who will not repent.

Nice answer.

In terms of my attitude towards homosexuals, it wasn't religion that made it bad but peer pressure and ignorance. Gays were in the closet then. You can't understand what you aren't exposed to.

In terms of feeling people are unsaved, that certainly was an issue with me when I was a Christian. I mean, I knew nice people and it bugged me to think they were in danger because of the non-christ  thing.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:45:05 AM by rickymooston »

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 02:05:58 AM »
I'm proud of forming some of the beliefs I do hold, but atheism itself is trivial.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 02:10:19 AM »
Not so much proud as relieved. Since this is the only life I'll ever get, it's my sole opportunity to define, receive and give things of value. And I'm so much freer, especially of the concept of hell, which used to terrify me when I was a believer.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 03:20:58 AM »
Chose the first option because that was the closest to what I feel. TBH, would have appreciated it is a little more thought was given to the options available. Being an atheist is one of the things I am proud of. And option #1 brands all religion with the same characteristics. That need not always be true, there are religions that are not harmful or illogical (on the lighter side, Kophimism for example)

When I last checked the poll stats looked a bit confusing. I counted 19 votes but there was this statement that 17 members voted. Is it open to everyone?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 03:57:30 AM »
Almost forgot about this.

You would be surprised how often people want to say "both" for options that appear contradictory.

And why would one vote on any of the first three options and vote for the fifth if the first three say that the voter is an atheist while the fifth says that the voter is a theist?

I take them seriously enough given the givens of a relatively small forum but the interpretation of the poll requires some thought
<snip>

"WTF" doesn't sound that serious to me.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 10:22:03 AM »
WTF sounds good to me. The dogma is false in any case. And I don't think atheism itself is the approach to oppose fundies. We wont think in your church if you dont pray in our schools.

It says Atheist on my facebook, but not to the public. It would if I lived in Europe.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 10:23:54 AM »
I don't think atheism itself is the approach to oppose fundies.

Atheism is non-belief in deities.  How is that or isn't that an "approach" to a social issue?  I think you mean something other than "atheism" here when you say "atheism".

It says Atheist on my facebook, but not to the public. It would if I lived in Europe.

Wouldn't want to humanize the atheist image, would we?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
I don't believe in the tooth fairy, but I feel no great sense of accomplishment for that intellectual leap and not believing in deities sorta woks along the same lines. I probably take more pride that I shower more than once a year. Tomorrow is my semi-annual scrubbing. ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:27:53 AM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 10:28:09 AM »
WTF sounds good to me.

WTF as an option? In the context of the question, what does it even mean?
We choose our own gods.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
WTF means he couldn't think of a legit option so WTF was that alternate.. kinda like Ochocinco going to the probowl year after year.. Just speculation.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
WTF means he couldn't think of a legit option so WTF was that alternate.. kinda like Ochocinco going to the probowl year after year.. Just speculation.

Ergo, it's not a legitimate option and was meant as a joke.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 11:28:51 AM »

So true. Selling Lottery tickets come with 25 annual payments or Cash value option which is one lump sum of 1/2 of the prize amount.

Clerk : "Would you like Cash Value Option or 25 Annual Payments?
Customer: Yes.
Clerk: (facefaults)

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »
Ok..well, I voted for blue.   :P

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 11:45:47 AM »
WTF is a logical answer. Pride honor etc control many fundamentalists.  Pride is not really an intellectual activity.

I am proud of my kids and their achievements. Again, people are involved. Me being an atheist? Who gives a shit, not me. No pride.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 11:49:17 AM »
WTF is a logical answer.

"Are you proud to be an atheist?"
"WTF"

^Does not sound logical. In fact, it sounds utterly stupid, specially given the fact that there's an option just above it that says "proud? WTF. Nothing to be proud about."
Once again, the "WTF" is meant as a joke, which I think is bad, unless the OP's purpose was to have people perceive this thread as a joke in the first place.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 12:32:19 PM »
And WTF is a ridiculous answer to a ridiculous question. I can't answer it seriously. I tried to explain but done with that too. My wife just gives me the look: discussion is over.

Why did I answer? Because I have wondered about pride and honor many a time. The words are interesting. In the context of immigrants, Europeam states today, etc.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 12:53:04 PM »
I don't think atheism itself is the approach to oppose fundies.

Atheism is non-belief in deities.  How is that or isn't that an "approach" to a social issue?  I think you mean something other than "atheism" here when you say "atheism".

Wouldn't want to humanize the atheist image, would we?