Author Topic: Whitney Houston dead  (Read 1296 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Whitney Houston dead
« on: February 11, 2012, 11:58:59 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/11/showbiz/whitney-houston-dead/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
  We were watching Jeopardy and were amazed (well not really) that ABC news broke in to announce her death. This definitely didn't happen when Lynn Margulis died recently.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +72/-23
Re: Whitney Houston dead
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:07:34 AM »
Lynn Margulis died recently.

Who's that? *rimshot*

edit to add rimshot

It is kinda sad that entertainers are held in higher esteem publicly than people who contribute knowledge to humanity. Generally speaking of course. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 12:29:26 AM by jaybwell32 »
"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline kindred

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-5
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 03:55:57 AM »
Lynn Margulis died recently.

Who's that? *rimshot*

edit to add rimshot

It is kinda sad that entertainers are held in higher esteem publicly than people who contribute knowledge to humanity. Generally speaking of course.

Most people find it harder to empathize with people smarter than them. Not to mention, that you have to acknowledge their superiority to give them the their proper dues. Why would you positively affirm geniuses and highlight your own mediocrity in comparison to them.

It would be easier to relate to celebs that are mediocre and famous. So they get all the attention. 

"Keep calm and carry on"

"I trust you are not in too much distress"

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 05:38:42 AM »
We could do an experiment: You shoot Britney Spears and I'll poison Stephen Hawking, then we'll compare the press response.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 07:07:17 AM »
Part of an entertainer's job is to make you get to know them.

Decades ago Science Digest did an article on the side studies and hobbies of important scientists, especially the ones who made the atom bomb.   It was the kind of gossip you find about entertainers. 

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +116/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »
Part of an entertainer's job is to make you get to know them.

The amount of news coverage for your death is directly proportional to how many people knew you (or knew of you) and might give a damn.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
^^Rudolph Valentino had one heck of a funeral.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
I see no issue with acknowledging Whitney's death. I mean, her voice is/was one of those things that leave one in awe much like looking at the vastness of space or the functioning of evolution.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +643/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »
The important thing here is not that her death is news, but why it is news. The entertainment industry takes away enough of our time already, but then the entertainment news industry tries to take away more. And does a pretty good job. It is so bad that my stepmother watches "Entertainment Tonight" every evening even though she never goes to movies, never buys or downloads music, never goes to concerts, etc. She watches TV but mostly reruns of Murder She Wrote.

So she is entertained by the news of those that entertain without bothering to be entertained.

And now you're reading about that, which just makes it worse  ;D

I assume that within the next decade there will be an effort to make a constitution amendment that protects our right to be entertained. It will fail though, because nobody being entertained will notice.
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +28/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
I see no issue with acknowledging Whitney's death. I mean, her voice is/was one of those things that leave one in awe much like looking at the vastness of space or the functioning of evolution.
    Acknowledging her death halfway through a national news broadcast is one thing but breaking in to an ongoing program just seems way over the top. Last May when programming was interrupted for coverage of Bin Ladens death, that I found appropriate. She had a great voice but for me it wasn't even close to awe inspiring.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +643/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 12:23:24 PM »
But it's gonna get worse. Sometime soon they will break into programming to announce "This just in! Nobody famous has died in the last fifteen minutes. Stay tuned for further updates. Details at eleven".
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »
I have no comment about how it was announced. I'm just really sad she's gone. I loved her voice. I loved the movie The Bodyguard. And she's way too young to be dead.  :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
    Acknowledging her death halfway through a national news broadcast is one thing but breaking in to an ongoing program just seems way over the top. Last May when programming was interrupted for coverage of Bin Ladens death, that I found appropriate. She had a great voice but for me it wasn't even close to awe inspiring.
Really?

Bin Laden's death more appropriate to break into your programming? I mean a face attributed with but not responsible for a handful of atrocities vs someone who touched the "soul" (for lack of a better term, I think we both know what I mean by soul here) of millions of people (even though you did not find it awe inspiring, I feel you are probably in the minority). If there is/was an awe inspiring voice I'd think it'd have to be Whitney's.

Give me the positive person any day of the week.

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
I can see why it might be a big deal, especially for people in their 30s, 40s or 50s. I mean, she was more than a Madonna or a Britney, she was once one of those entertainers who was widely beloved, maybe like Bing Crosby was in an earlier generation. She was someone you and your grandparents could both like, a woman who turned "The Star-Spangled Banner" into a Top Ten hit...

What's tragic is that she destroyed her voice, her image and her career long before last night...

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +116/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 04:44:23 PM »
I think Whitney Houston had one of the best voices in the music industry (pre-vocal cord damage). She sang smoothly, effortlessly, it was never a struggle to tackle the range she could cover, nor to belt out sound at maximum volume. That kind of voice doesn't occur often. If she hadn't gotten mixed up in drugs, she would likely still be with us today. A female singer from the previous generation who had a fantastic voice and who could also belt out a tune effortlessly was Cass Elliot, but because she came in a weightier package she didn't carry the instant sex appeal. She, too, died prematurely. So, while Whitney had a great voice, she wasn't the only one in history to have a great voice.

With that being said, one of the worst concerts I ever attended was a Whitney Houston concert -- around 1986 or 1987, can't remember the year for sure. I have been to many concerts by performers of various genres in some of the worst venues (rainy day on the track at a state fair), and my reaction has always been that I got as much or more out of the concert as the ticket price I paid, but not with Whitney on that particular night. She was scat-singing a lot of songs (almost all), not to any particular tempo or phrasing, to the point where we thought she was high. I would have asked for my money back, but if the performer shows up and performs for the stipulated time, you can't get your money back. I have never owned any albums from Whitney Houston, but she was undeniably good at what she did -- just not while she was drunk or scoring coke. It didn't surprise me at all to later learn that she was using drugs.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 05:41:22 PM »
It's news worthy of a mention, but mostly it's Soap Opera for the masses. The fact is that the networks know covering it will garner lots of viewers, just like the SoCal car chases. Therefore, if one network covered it and the others didn't, that network would have a massive audience. All the networks know this, so they all cover it, so viewers don't switch channels to fine it elsewhere. All this coverage makes it seems more newsworthy than it should be, just like the car chases.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »
We could do an experiment: You shoot Britney Spears and I'll poison Stephen Hawking, then we'll compare the press response.

Hmmmmm. Are people still speculating about the death of Elvis Presley? I guess not.  &) 

Well, in certain circles they are still talking about the death of pop singer Selena (I know, who's she?) Perez. Stephen Jay Gould? Not so much.

Whitney Houston had a great voice, but considering her life in recent years, it's a wonder she lived this long.  :(

ps Don't you dare get anywhere near Stephen Hawking. Do whatever you want with Britney.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +116/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
Whitney Houston had a great voice, but considering her life in recent years, it's a wonder she lived this long.  :(

precisely

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 10:35:08 PM »
Chalk one up for 12 steps and that higher power thingy..
I could care less to be honest.. As soon as some uber-rich entertainer drops by my place to show they so much as give a rats ass if I so much as breath I MIGHT begin caring about their lives or deaths.. Till then they're just so much worm food leaving money behind to be fought tooth and nail over.
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +164/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 10:44:16 PM »
Chalk one up for 12 steps and that higher power thingy..
I could care less to be honest.. As soon as some uber-rich entertainer drops by my place to show they so much as give a rats ass if I so much as breath I MIGHT begin caring about their lives or deaths.. Till then they're just so much worm food leaving money behind to be fought tooth and nail over.

Welcome to the forum.  Not a fan, I take it?  LOL

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +220/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 10:52:17 PM »
I'm going to make a rather inflammatory confession here:  When I saw the news, I had a reaction that startled even Me:

"Good riddance."

I've never harboured ill will against Whitney as a person, although I wasn't a fan of either her vocal style or her musical genre.  I had, however, just come back from the supermarket and seen tabloid covers exploiting her personal problems yet again.  It actually came as a sense of relief:  Once the usual postmortem sensationalism has died down, that's one less celebrity train wreck for the check-out counter crowd to gawk at.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +164/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 10:59:44 PM »
Astreja - you're not too far off the mark.  Celebrities tend to take us away from our own lives, but they also get caught up in stuff they probably never imagined when they started.  She was talented, and the system swallowed her up and spit her out.  History shows over and over how celebrities are not on the pedestals we place them on.

It's a shame, really.  Maybe she wanted to go?

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 11:21:09 PM »
There are 1000s of celebs with new ones tossed at us daily.. WH is just one of 100s of 1000s.. She had talents to burn, but picked the wrong path.. I won't miss her one iota, but if I find any of it remotely disturbing it's her substance abuse problems. I fought that mess for years myself, but I didn't have millions to pay doctors to put me back together again. I did it in a public funded rehab.. I cam empathize, but only to a limited degree.
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 08:17:24 AM »
Astreja, then it seems as if your issue is with the media that puts these celebrities and all their business in the public eye, not Whitney herself. What I see in this thread, and its disturbing, is people deflecting the issue (at least the issue as I see it). The issue, to me, is that on of the most beautiful voices recorded has been silenced. Not the drug use, not the celebrity, not the weird marriages or relationships, none of that has an affect on me. The music did.

Now some may not be WH fans, thats understandable, some arent into the genre, again understandable. We all have different tastes. I for one was never into grunge alternative. However, when Kurt Cobain committed suicide I could certainly sympathise with those that were touched by his music and understand why they'd be sad. I certainly didnt harp on any personal "demons" he may have had. Its just not my place. My place is with the music and that alone.

I mean, when Christopher Hitchens died I wasnt concerned with the drinking and smoking, I was just upset that we lost someone as bright and eloquent as him earlier than I would hope. Its not my place to sit back and shake my head at whatever vices that may have caused his demise.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +559/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 10:50:48 AM »

her voice left me wishing either she or I were in the vastness of space.  Remember the Alien tagline?  "In space, no one can hear you scream."  Which I think is a fair description of her singing.  "Piercing" also comes to mind.  For my money, she ruined Dolly Parton's song.   

I loathed her shitty music almost as much as I loathed her shitty diva attitude.  In the Bodyguard, when she got the katana out, I was hoping she'd trip and impale herself on it.  Or Costner would finally do something right and stab her with it.

My only regret about her death is that starting yesterday it was "All Whitney, All Day" on a lot of radio stations. 

If she hadn't gotten mixed up in drugs Bobby Brown, she would likely still be with us today.

If you listened to Howard Stern, he likened their relationship as kind of like him being an out of control, coked out 4 year old, and she being his mother.  Apparently that was an illusion.

With that being said, one of the worst concerts I ever attended was a Whitney Houston concert -- around 1986 or 1987, can't remember the year for sure.

A friend of mine said the same thing about a concert of hers in 1986-87.  He said Whitney just stood there and screeched for a while.  Tina Turner was also part of the show - I don't know if she was opening or head lining.  Tina blew her doors off, running around the stage nonstop for about an hour.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
her voice left me wishing either she or I were in the vastness of space.  Remember the Alien tagline?  "In space, no one can hear you scream."  Which I think is a fair description of her singing.  "Piercing" also comes to mind. 

Me either. Her voice is horrible to my ears. It's irritating, just awful- I can't stand hearing that kind of singing, it makes me want to listen to my lawnmower or vacuum cleaner.

Anyway, the whole thing just goes to show you - money, fame, marriage, children, none of that can make you truly happy. That's been shown time after time.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 01:34:12 PM »
her voice left me wishing either she or I were in the vastness of space.  Remember the Alien tagline?  "In space, no one can hear you scream."  Which I think is a fair description of her singing.  "Piercing" also comes to mind. 

Me either. Her voice is horrible to my ears. It's irritating, just awful- I can't stand hearing that kind of singing, it makes me want to listen to my lawnmower or vacuum cleaner.

Anyway, the whole thing just goes to show you - money, fame, marriage, children, none of that can make you truly happy. That's been shown time after time.

Are we from the same planet guys? Are you serious? Really? For real, really?
I find these sentiments a bit shocking guys. Wow..........

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »
Are we from the same planet guys?

Yes I think so, but there are claims of aliens visiting Earth and I haven't seen what you look like.

Are you serious? Really? For real, really?

Absolutely. Almost anything is better than that police siren. I'm not joking when I say her voice (to me) is horrible screaming noise. I'd take Ozzy's singing over her's any time.

I find these sentiments a bit shocking guys. Wow..........

Shocking is part of what we do here.  :)

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 03:04:02 PM »

Couldn't agree more. All that power ballad bellowing. It's just earache. Give me Adele. Now there's a voice and she writes her own songs as well.

What really got me was the decision to have a prayer to the god that killed her and even though she was an alchoholic and drug abuser apparently she's up in showbiz heaven and not in hell getting a red hot poker shoved where the sun don't shine.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".