Author Topic: "Praise him...you waters above the heavens!"  (Read 909 times)

Offline theFLEW

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • Ron Paul for President
"Praise him...you waters above the heavens!"
« on: February 11, 2012, 07:18:01 PM »
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2011-223

Interesting scientific discovery to pair with Psalms 148:3-4
"...and how much naivety, venerable, childlike and boundlessly stupid naivety there is in the scholar's belief in his superiority, in the good conscience of his tolerance, in the simply unsuspecting certainty with which his instinct treats the religious man as an inferior..." - F. Nietzsche

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
Re: "Praise him...you waters above the heavens!"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »

Hmm, interesting.  So you're "pairing" a scriptural reference to a press release from NASA?  Have you spoken to anyone at NASA about your thoughts on this matter?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 07:58:45 PM »
You mean free hydrogen and oxygen can pair with each other to form water in space?  What an astounding insight you've provided us.  I never would have been able to guess that something like this could possibly happen.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 08:04:19 PM »
But maybe it's surprising that the writer of Psalms had such an insight into that,
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
But maybe it's surprising that the writer of Psalms had such an insight into that,
And yet they thought the Earth was flat and was the center of the universe.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »
Did they?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 10:25:13 PM »
Thought you guys used that stuff up to cause the flood.

But it is quite a coincidence. All water on earth came from external sources. The bible said there is water in the skies. Hey, I'm convinced. How could they have known in such detail without a god mentioning it? I'm sure just plain old rain had nothing to do with it. They would have known about that water in the skies and this god guy wouldn't have had to mention it.

I assume (I dunno, I'm not a christian) he also mentioned germ theory, accurately described the number of legs on insects, knew the difference between a bird and a bat, and was quite clear on the diet of snakes. Because I'm pretty sure he had more to say about science than just the water thingy. Oh oh, and how to cure leprosy and how to get a stripped goat. He had to know how to tell folks how to do those things. He was a science teacher, after all.

Please tell me I'm right...

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:31:23 PM »
According to the Book of Job God draws on a supply of water to make the rain and has a treasury room of snow and a storehouse of hail.

Do you have any quotes from NASA discovering those storerooms, one for snow and one for hail?  They must be up there; the Bible tells me so.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »
Galileo once argued that the Earth could be moving and we yet perceive the skies and planets to be moving by quoting some ancient poetry.  He chose the Aeneid.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 11:39:52 PM »
The Elder Edda starts off with a description of the Ice Age.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »
The worst part of this whole thing is the the OP'er just now discovered that there is water out there. Science has known that for a long, long time. It's not just way, way out there, either. They have found it on Mars and on the Moon. And Saturn's moon Enceladus sprays the stuff into space all the time via ice volcanos. So getting all "he told you so" over a science article that doesn't begin to cover the full extent of what we know about extraterrestrial water is like a first grader discovering hamburger doesn't come from a store.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »

ah the desperation of a Christian to make up anything to support his supposed "faith".

1 Praise the LORD. Praise the LORD from the heavens;  praise him in the heights above. 2 Praise him, all his angels;
   praise him, all his heavenly hosts. 3 Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars. 4 Praise him, you highest heavens and you waters above the skies.

funny how this says nothing about what's in space but continues the ignorance of primitiave man that rain comes from god, hail is in warehouses, etc. 

and yes, MM, they thought the earth was the center of the universe.  Your religion harmed people in order to preserve that little lie.   Sad for you, but that's quite well documented, as has been that the bible only speaks of a flat earth.  Your bible is one more primitive collection of stories that Christians have to desperately retcon to excuse their god's ignorance.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline theFLEW

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • Ron Paul for President
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
Point taken, but the Hebrew word here shamayim can mean "visible heavens, sky as in either the abode of the stars or the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc".  Not saying it is or it isn't, just saying I see an interesting correlation.  Furthermore, it's interesting that the author first indicates the highest heavens, and then the water above those heavens (you see, the Hebrew word shamayim is used in both cases).
"...and how much naivety, venerable, childlike and boundlessly stupid naivety there is in the scholar's belief in his superiority, in the good conscience of his tolerance, in the simply unsuspecting certainty with which his instinct treats the religious man as an inferior..." - F. Nietzsche

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »

But it is quite a coincidence. All water on earth came from external sources. The bible said there is water in the skies. Hey, I'm convinced. How could they have known in such detail without a god mentioning it? I'm sure just plain old rain had nothing to do with it. They would have known about that water in the skies and this god guy wouldn't have had to mention it.

I assume (I dunno, I'm not a christian) he also mentioned germ theory, accurately described the number of legs on insects, knew the difference between a bird and a bat, and was quite clear on the diet of snakes. Because I'm pretty sure he had more to say about science than just the water thingy. Oh oh, and how to cure leprosy and how to get a stripped goat. He had to know how to tell folks how to do those things. He was a science teacher, after all.

I was just reading the germ theory stuff in Deuteronomy the other night.  It is really good stuff!

For the bacteria shall dwell upon thy skin, inside of thy orifices, and shall reside in the interior of thy body and aid in thy digestion.  And thou shalt wash thy hands before eating because it pleases the Lord, and cleanliness is next to Godliness.  But thou shalt not eat unrefrigerated flesh of fish or fowl or mammary beast after a day or two, for it is an abomination and the bacteria are not welcome in thy body, which is thy temple.   

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »
The best part of that, Quesi, is that he gave the desert dwellers the ability to refrigerate their food. Of course only an unloving god would have done otherwise.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 09:51:47 PM »
The best part of that, Quesi, is that he gave the desert dwellers the ability to refrigerate their food. Of course only an unloving god would have done otherwise.

/Nodding enthusiastically.

What more proof do you need?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 10:55:24 PM »

I was just reading the germ theory stuff in Deuteronomy the other night.  It is really good stuff!

For the bacteria shall dwell upon thy skin, inside of thy orifices, and shall reside in the interior of thy body and aid in thy digestion.  And thou shalt wash thy hands before eating because it pleases the Lord, and cleanliness is next to Godliness.  But thou shalt not eat unrefrigerated flesh of fish or fowl or mammary beast after a day or two, for it is an abomination and the bacteria are not welcome in thy body, which is thy temple.   

If only.

Can you imagine how much suffering could have been prevented with one little paragraph like that? You would think any god worth the title could have managed it. But none did. I mean, somebody named Quesi just did it in a few seconds. All hail Quesi, we sing thy praises for thou art wiser even than the gods of old. Even though it ain't that hard... &)

None of the gods of old knew about germs.

None of the gods of old:
Banned slavery;[1]
Knew that the sun was a star and that there were other solar systems;
Ordered that men and women be treated equally and be given equal rights;
Knew that there were other continents and people across the distant oceans;
Eliminated warfare.

Basically, none of the gods of old knew anything that humans did not know or did anything that humans could not do. Funny, that. And funny how with science we humans now can do more than the gods ever could.

Still working on that war thingy. :?
 1. Yeah, slavery was different back then, and all that, but you are still talking about buying, selling and owning another human being. Wrong, wrong, wrong. We don't think that is okay. All the gods thought it was fine.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:38 AM »
Point taken, but the Hebrew word here shamayim can mean "visible heavens, sky as in either the abode of the stars or the visible universe, the sky, atmosphere, etc".  Not saying it is or it isn't, just saying I see an interesting correlation.  Furthermore, it's interesting that the author first indicates the highest heavens, and then the water above those heavens (you see, the Hebrew word shamayim is used in both cases).

BS, NTS. You *are* trying to say that your bible predicted soemthign that it did not, your usual tactic to try to see if anyone believes the shit you throw at the wall. 

Your protestations that you are "not saying it is or isn't" is so transparent.  Again, you want to say things but not take responsiblity for them and think that we are too stupid to notice your little game.   Your supposed "correlation" has been shown to be garbage.  The bible was talking about what the authors could see as "visible", not what we can see with CCDs and computers.  such a shame that you have to lie and claim that they knew soemthign they didn't.  These very ignorant people thought that water was stored in warehouses and that's where water precipitation came from.  As has been noted, this ignorant nonsense has already been used to "explain" how the mythical flood happend.  As usual, Christians contradict each other in their baseless claims.  It's so fun to watch. 

And it's funny how you try to repeatedly claim that the "highest heavens" is 12 billion LY away, but funny how there's evidently a lot more space beyond that.  Will anything beyond that be the "higher highest, you know, really high, more than what I called the highest before" heavens?   ;D 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »

Why would anyone interpret vague metaphor to have anything to do with science?

Why not do the same with the Dr Suess book Green Eggs and Ham?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline theFLEW

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • Ron Paul for President
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »
Or he was referring to Genesis 1:6-7

A vault (i.e. heavens, sky) to separate the two waters. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 03:12:02 PM »
Or he was referring to Genesis 1:6-7

A vault (i.e. heavens, sky) to separate the two waters.

and no evidence of any being seperating anything from anything.   &)