Author Topic: Darwin Day  (Read 244 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +120/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Darwin Day
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:36:50 PM »
A close relative of mine who is a professor at a Christian college down in South Carolina just posted onto Facebook that today is Darwin Day as sponsored by the American Humanist Association. (Actually, it appears to be that tomorrow is the designated day.)

While Christian celebrations are being marginalized, secular humanist celebrations such as the one for today are receiving Congressional support because of the Humanist agenda.

along with links for these ...

Humanist Manifesto I

An Evaluation of the Myth That “Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution”

*SIGH*  I had no idea it was Darwin Day, and it matters to me not that it might be. Isn't every day Dawin Day? Anyway, I often think the human race is doomed if otherwise educated people with excellent communication skills still invest their time and energies into invisible boogeymen.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
Re: Darwin Day
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
An Evaluation of the Myth That “Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution”

The arguments presented in this link don't actually address the point the article is contesting, although at first glance it seems like it does.  Nor does the article address the context of the statement “Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution”, which is that the Big Picture™ is explained by Evolution, the taxonomic tree, the genetic relationships between species, the fossil record, the agreement with the geological record, agreement with physics and even cosmology and on and on....

At the high-school and even college level, of course evolution isn't given extensive treatment, because it IS irrelevant to the problems being studied!  Relativistic corrections aren't given extensive treatment even in third semester college physics classes either, even though "Nothing in Cosmology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Relativity"......because at the scale (size and speed) of the objects in the students coursework, relativistic corrections are negligible.  You simply don't need to complicate the coursework with relativistic corrections when you're computing F=ma by using a baseball and radar gun.  And despite this, it is still true that "Nothing in Cosmology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Relativity".

The same is true for Quantum Mechanics.  A student in Electrical Engineering would, of course, be taught Maxwell's Equations.  This would include application, implications, and derivations.  Yet how many EE students are introduced to the quantized versions of Maxwell's Equations?  How many are given application coursework, or asked to discuss the implications (and there are implications) of the quantized versions?  NONE.  It's unlikely those equation forms are even in their textbooks, at best their professor wrote it on the board one day as an aside.  This is because you (probably) don't need to apply this degree of detail to the problem at hand.

Nor do you need to correct for the curvature of the Earth when you drive to work....it's irrelevant at your scale.
(I mean seriously, when was the last time you heard of a Driving Instructor teaching about "Round Earth Theory", it's all obviously a big lie.  The Earth is flat.)

Likewise, one doesn't need to know Evolutionary Theory at all to study genetic sequencing, cellular membrane permeability, ATP synthesis, or protein chirality etc...  It simply isn't applicable at that scale.  Nevertheless, it is still true that overall, at the largest scales, “Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution”.

Soon we will judge angels.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Darwin Day
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 10:42:02 PM »
Cyberia covered it. I have little to add.

But I did like it when the author said: "A veterinarian does not need to know how the horse’s hoof evolved in order to treat an injury or infection." Sounds like he agrees that evolution occurs, whether he knows it or not.

Wonder why he didn't mention that you don't need to know jack sh*t about creationism to do good science either.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.