Author Topic: For the 1000th Time: What do you think the true purpose of the Bible is?  (Read 1389 times)

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: For the 1000th Time: What do you think the true purpose of the Bible is?
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 04:35:14 PM »
What is the "true" purpose of any colletion of folklore? of Mythology? There isn't any. The Bible has served many purposes over the years; propaganda for the tribes of Isreal, a way of maintaining tribe unity of a dispossessed people, a way of maintaining law for the gullible masses, a justification for war, a justification for slavery, a justification for prejudice, a way of getting gullible people to go not question their rulers, a way for the literate to get out of doing real work, the primary vehicle for maintaining the feudal system, a guidebook of revolution against the old tyrants(so new ones can be installed), a justication for not having to think about long term environmental consequences in order to maximize profit.

The purpose of the Bible always depends on what people are using it for, nothing "true" about it, in more ways than one.
disagree hatter,

look at it this way. When you were in school you had to do research papers, correct? When doing a research paper you had to use different sources. The sources you used were supposed to support your final conclusion. Your conclusion was the purpose of the paper even if the sources you used didnt necessarily have that purpose. For example, as Devil's Advocate stated, we on WWGHA use the bible to disporve the bible even though that wasnt/isnt its purpose.

The actual books in the bible would be considered the sources you used. The bible itself would be considered your research paper. Where YOUR research paper differs from the bible, I'm sure, is that you more than likely were taught to show differing opinions/theories/ideas/POV's and then to refute them. Its the only right thing to do in Academia where sound reasoning is supreme. The bible, however, does not do that because its not interested in helping you determine the truth, or give you opposing views, its concerned with dictating to you what to believe without question.

Why would that be helpful to the RCC?
You aren't understanding...I'm not talking about how the RCC has had various purposes for the Bible, yes. I mentioned some.

I'm stating the Bible is a collection of Mythology, and as such doesn't have a purpose...other than if you think of it in a meta way to document that mythology. The Bible has no more "true" purpose than a lump of iron ore, or prehaps better stated a grasshopper....if you only think of the purpose of a grasshopper is to make more grasshoppers.
except the things you mentioned are naturally occurring: iron and grasshoppers werent painstakingly created by men. They simply exist. Yes the bible is a collection of mythology, but it was collected for a reason. In the same way that a gold smith collects gold to make stuff... for a purpose.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 06:03:15 PM »
Hence the problem... the "purpose" gets to change to suit whatever agenda anyone deems appropriate.
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 10:01:28 AM »
Hence the problem... the "purpose" gets to change to suit whatever agenda anyone deems appropriate.

My point exactly.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 03:14:51 PM »

My point exactly.
No, the USE changes. The purpose is whatever purpose the people who made it gave it. If I use Diet coke to dissolve the corrosion on my car battery it doesnt change the purpose of Diet Coke from quenching thirst to corrosion dissolver...

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »

My point exactly.
No, the USE changes. The purpose is whatever purpose the people who made it gave it. If I use Diet coke to dissolve the corrosion on my car battery it doesnt change the purpose of Diet Coke from quenching thirst to corrosion dissolver...

You are thinking the BIble as if it was some sort of monolith created in full form. That isn't the case. It is a Frankenstein's monster of mythological folk tales, platonic cosmology, welded onto the frame of a Jewish heresy. The original Jewish Bible is a multiply edited added to and expunged(just look up Ashera....the wife of Yahweh) mythological history of the Jewish people. That's why I used the grasshopper analogy because the Bible developed organicly: It wasn't the tale of one con man like Scientology or Mormonism.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 08:14:16 AM »

My point exactly.

You are thinking the BIble as if it was some sort of monolith created in full form. That isn't the case. It is a Frankenstein's monster of mythological folk tales, platonic cosmology, welded onto the frame of a Jewish heresy. The original Jewish Bible is a multiply edited added to and expunged(just look up Ashera....the wife of Yahweh) mythological history of the Jewish people. That's why I used the grasshopper analogy because the Bible developed organicly: It wasn't the tale of one con man like Scientology or Mormonism.
Youre separating the individual writings from the entire work, at which point you'd be correct. However, the individual books themselves ARE NOT the bible. The bible is the collection of those books (writings). The question here is: Why did they (RCC) collect those writings and compile the ones they wanted to? To find the answer, just look at what they did with it. There is your purpose.

Again, if someone else finds another use for it then so be it. It doesnt change the purpose that the compilers gave it.