Author Topic: Evolution  (Read 2493 times)

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Evolution
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
Unfortunately, it's things like that (hyenas being feline in genus but canine in form; convergent evolution) that give creationists some of their ammunition.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2011, 02:23:17 AM »
Unfortunately, it's things like that (hyenas being feline in genus but canine in form; convergent evolution) that give creationists some of their ammunition.

Since their 'science' book tells them bats are birds, that's no real surprise :)

Looking at that collection of animals, it seems that the family of the suborder feliformia we're most familiar with (ie the cats) are the odd one out wrt facial features. All the others have more dog-like snouts.
I wonder, does that mean that cats split off from the other members of the feliformia first?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 02:25:21 AM by Fiji »
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
I'd guess that has to do with both selective breeding and natural evolution...The other cats look a lot more like domestic kitties in their infancy, so the early domestic cats which kept the most of those characteristics into adulthood probably elicited the most nurturing response=most food and protection from the humans...who then went on to select for even more exaggerated features like those of the Persian cats.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +223/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2011, 03:18:21 AM »
never would have guessed that hyenas would have been in the cat group. They look much more canine to my eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine

Australian marsupial beast that grew to look like a wolf.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
never would have guessed that hyenas would have been in the cat group. They look much more canine to my eye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thylacine

Australian marsupial beast that grew to look like a wolf.

Wow. The video footage of the extinct thylacine gave me chills. Somebody needs to show this to one of our anti-evolution posters and ask if it is a cat "kind" or a dog "kind" of "not a transitional species".....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2012, 11:38:10 AM »
To the opening post, there is a wonderful book that will explain all. There is no purpose or goal to evolution. A summary of the Neil Shubin Inner Fish book is found on page 183. School biology explains anatomy. This is actually more developmental biology: