Author Topic: Glow In The Dark Age  (Read 340 times)

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
Glow In The Dark Age
« on: February 10, 2012, 01:40:57 AM »
I am officially coining a new term: The Glow In The Dark Age

Many religious people pine for the 'good old days'.  To them, history and learning stopped around 100AD, when the buybull authors quit making up more fairy tales (unless the later editors added some, too).

Back at the time, the Roman Empire was busy destroying any surrounding civilization it could, to loot gold to fund their own collapsing mess of militarized ignorance and bureaucracy, which later turned into a theocratic dictatorship, the Holy Roman Empire, before that disintegrated as a political power, and became better known as 'The Church'.

And a period, known as the 'Dark Age' ensued.

Fast forward a few centuries, and we have the United States of America.  Outsourcing everything.  Bombing other nations to keep oil flowing to its self.  And we have religious idiots who want to make America into a Holy States of America.

Of course, when they try to spread their 'Christian Enlightenment', it can't be helped that this will be backed by nuclear arsenals, and defended against with other nuclear arsenals.

And thereafter, we will have the 'Glow In The Dark Age'.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
Re: Glow In The Dark Age
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 05:10:51 AM »
Considering the Dominionist penetration of the USAF, this seems possible.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
You are right...they want the "good old days" back.  I always thought that meant the 1950s for most American Republicans(religious nuts).  You know a time when the father went to work (in proper attire) and mom stayed home with kids/housework waiting to greet hard working dad when he got home.  And people (not white) knew their place and did not cause trouble.  Teenagers just held hands on dates and looked up to their parents.  They still have the mind set that they can drag us back to that and make us like it.  That is the American "Dark Age" mentality.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
sadly, you seem right, ping.   For awhile, I thought my generation would be the last to deal with threat of humanity's annihilation but that doesnt' seem to be the case anymore.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 10:39:56 AM »
As is often said the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, Roman, or an empire. It is also not the same thing as the Church, but your point is well made nonetheless.

The Glow In The Dark Age, I like it. 
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +601/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 10:40:28 AM »
This is among the most simplified depictions of history I've ever seen.

However, it isn't especially correct.  The Roman Empire conquered large surrounding areas, but not to simply pillage them in order to support their military and bureaucracy. These conquests were for the glory of the Roman Empire and to increase the standard of living for their citizens, as much as anything.  The Roman Empire was permanently divided shortly before the fall of Rome in the early fifth century, and the Eastern Roman Empire lived on as the Byzantine Empire.  The Holy Roman Empire was a religious invention (it came from the tradition of the Pope declaring a European ruler as King of the Romans), but it was actually centered on Germany and its surrounding areas.  The Byzantine Empire collapsed after the Fourth Crusade sacked Constantinople.

Also, the so-called Dark Ages (the Middle Ages, from 500 ad to 1500 ad) were primarily centered on Europe.  The Byzantine Empire survived and flourished until the aforementioned sack, which weakened it too much to be able to withstand the Ottoman Empire.

So, yes, religion can largely be blamed for all of this, but it's more effective when you have an accurate idea of what really happened.

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 10:09:14 PM »
Well, technically, the earth doesn't have to glow in the dark for it to be completely uninhabitable, either.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 10:31:40 PM »
This is among the most simplified depictions of history I've ever seen.

I'm sure you didn't take it completely seriously either, right?  I do like reading your reply though, because I learned from it, but I don't think pingnak was attempting to depict history critically, because it was somewhat sarcastic as I read it (correct me if I'm wrong, pingnak).

I feel that it would benefit me in some way to do more research on the Roman Empire.  If only I had more time!

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:07:08 AM »
I know everything from watching TV!  It's SO edumacational!

Everything I Know About Rome...

Everything I Know About The Crusades...

Everything I Know About Modern Politics
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-power-of-nightmares/

Everything I Know About Modern Religion
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/jesus-camp/
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/religulous/

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +601/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 02:09:10 AM »
I'm sure you didn't take it completely seriously either, right?  I do like reading your reply though, because I learned from it, but I don't think pingnak was attempting to depict history critically, because it was somewhat sarcastic as I read it (correct me if I'm wrong, pingnak).

I feel that it would benefit me in some way to do more research on the Roman Empire.  If only I had more time!
My sarcasm detector was actually working this time, yes.  He did a fairly good impression of the...ahh....straightforward view of history espoused by the kind of people who like easy answers.