Author Topic: P.D.James  (Read 666 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +205/-81
P.D.James
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »
Has anyone read this English crime authors novels?

I'm part way through my first of hers, and it won't be the last. It's called "Devices and Desires".

I have very rarely come across a new author I have warmed to so quickly. Her ability to immerse me into the plot and characters is amazing. And I so far haven't even the slightest clue of "whodunnit"

Hightly recommend.
Because the sinless Saviour died, my sinful soul is counted free. For God the just is satisfied, to look on Him and pardon me.

- Charitie Lees Smith

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: P.D.James
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »
I haven't read any but I do enjoy mysteries. I'll have to check them out. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +205/-81
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
I am now onto a second P.D James novel, called The Black Tower. She composes her sentences so well that I often re-read them in admiration. This means it takes a while to get through a novel.
Because the sinless Saviour died, my sinful soul is counted free. For God the just is satisfied, to look on Him and pardon me.

- Charitie Lees Smith

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:57:05 AM »
Never actually read her novels, but saw the film for Children of Men, which is a fantastic film if you ever get the chance to watch it. A friend loves PD James' novels so I should probably pick one up, though I'm not really a fan of crime novels.

Also I saw PD James doing book signings at the Cambridge Word Fest last year, I would have bought Children of Men and got it signed, but sadly I was already spent on the books I did buy and some of the workshops and seminars at the fest weren't exactly cheap either. I probably should have seized the opportunity to talk to her and tell her how much I loved the movie Children of Men.  :P
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +205/-81
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »
worth the effort. I can't afford to buy books, we have great libraries close by. I'll look out for the film, thanks

- Charitie Lees Smith