Author Topic: P.D.James  (Read 541 times)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
P.D.James
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »
Has anyone read this English crime authors novels?

I'm part way through my first of hers, and it won't be the last. It's called "Devices and Desires".

I have very rarely come across a new author I have warmed to so quickly. Her ability to immerse me into the plot and characters is amazing. And I so far haven't even the slightest clue of "whodunnit"

Hightly recommend.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: P.D.James
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 10:19:25 AM »
I haven't read any but I do enjoy mysteries. I'll have to check them out. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
I am now onto a second P.D James novel, called The Black Tower. She composes her sentences so well that I often re-read them in admiration. This means it takes a while to get through a novel.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 07:57:05 AM »
Never actually read her novels, but saw the film for Children of Men, which is a fantastic film if you ever get the chance to watch it. A friend loves PD James' novels so I should probably pick one up, though I'm not really a fan of crime novels.

Also I saw PD James doing book signings at the Cambridge Word Fest last year, I would have bought Children of Men and got it signed, but sadly I was already spent on the books I did buy and some of the workshops and seminars at the fest weren't exactly cheap either. I probably should have seized the opportunity to talk to her and tell her how much I loved the movie Children of Men.  :P
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:05:54 AM »
worth the effort. I can't afford to buy books, we have great libraries close by. I'll look out for the film, thanks