Author Topic: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »

The bible is NOT fiction and has predicted and will continue to predict ACCURATELY into the future.

We are still waiting for you to provide proof of the assertion.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2012, 01:09:11 AM »
I ___________strongly___________ suggest you "convert" back to being a Christian. Heaven and hell are BOTH free.

It is not free if it is coerced under threat of eternal torture.

Jesus paid the price on the cross for your sins.

And I do not consent to having someone else pay My debts.  I pay My own.

Jesus cannot change you from the outside but when you ask Him into your heart(soul) then will you be fit to be in heaven.

If heaven and hell exist, I have no interest in being in heaven if even one individual is being tormented in hell.

I choose hell, because I consider it immoral to choose heaven.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2012, 01:42:21 AM »
^^ makes a perfectly honest and pure point on your religious fallacies and monstrocities..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »

The bible is NOT fiction and has predicted and will continue to predict ACCURATELY into the future. I can tell you with certainty
according to KJV bible that everyone will be forced(or offered) to take the mark of the beast which will be on either your right hand or forehead. No one will buy, sell or trade without this mark. Also, look for the antichrist to sign a seven year peace treaty with Israel. Keep in mind these biblical predictions have been known for thousands of years!

BTW, the Obamacare crap program was scheduled to have US citizens implanted with a RFID chip on March 23,2013.

Baloney.  The bible is incredibly devoid of any practical information, were one to assume it was the word of an all-knowing entity.  Jesus himself couldn't even make an accurate prediction.  You're making blatant yet typical errors in thought.  The bible is no more accurate than Nostradamus, or the tea leaf reader down the street.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »
CG your story is compelling. Your former church must have been a really hardshelled outfit steeped in ignorance and chauvinism.  Decent people should not have to endure that kind of evil. And evil it is when a  human being is forced into subservience, fear, and emotional stress by dint of ill concieved, superstitious, ignorance.

Grandfather Poseidon hopes that you will succeed in addressing the certainty that we are mere mortals and that life will eventually end. And that is all there is. That is not so bad to contemplate is it? Life is good, go out and look at a beautiful sunrise or sunset, enjoy the gratification of motherhood, the wonders of nature, the comany of true and caring friends, and the marvelous bounty of the earth. We live and eventually we die and that is the sum total of existence. The notion of the hereafter is for weak people. Because you are here we can not count you as one of the weak ones. Embrace the last two lines from William Henly's poem, Invictus;
 I am master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2012, 08:54:28 AM »
CG, I should add I'm glad you developed in a positive way and the manner in which you disbelieved in god is part of that development.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2012, 01:16:05 PM »
I have to say. Atheism has helped me greatly as well.

Ever since I let go of my religion, which of course being indoctrinated to me in my youth, I somehow gained lots of motivation to learn more about multiple different subjects because I realize that I don't really know much of anything.

Geology, Geography, history ( yup, even theology history ), Antrophology, a little bit about philosopy, debating techniques, medical knowledge, technology, its scientific discovery and advancement, and so many other knowledge that I wouldn't even have an inkling of interest had I stayed religious since I will always think that I already have all the answers.

Humans have so many hidden potential when their mind is freed. I would know, since that's exactly what happened to me.

It's a little depressing seeing my religious families, relatives and friends being oblivious of this reality :(
But hey, that's why I have you guys here in this nice forum :)
If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
Ever since I let go of my religion, which of course being indoctrinated to me in my youth, I somehow gained lots of motivation to learn more about multiple different subjects because I realize that I don't really know much of anything.
<snip>
Me too!  I instantly gained motivation to learn as much about the generics of science, without diving into a lot of detail, as soon as I started to even question religion (this happened years ago).  My conclusion was hanging on a thread, until I came to this site.  Then the last remaining part of religion was torn to shreds for me.  It was wonderful - I felt liberated - like a free man, finally. 

It didn't change my activism, though - because I was already an activist.  It just changed the scope and manner of that activism.  But yeah - entirely motivating and reinforcing to become an atheist, er, rationalist...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #95 on: May 28, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
I have to say. Atheism has helped me greatly as well.

Geology, Geography, history ( yup, even theology history ), Antrophology, a little bit about philosopy, debating techniques, medical knowledge, technology, its scientific discovery and advancement, and so many other knowledge that I wouldn't even have an inkling of interest had I stayed religious since I will always think that I already have all the answers.

Humans have so many hidden potential when their mind is freed. I would know, since that's exactly what happened to me.

It's a little depressing seeing my religious families, relatives and friends being oblivious of this reality :(
But hey, that's why I have you guys here in this nice forum :)

So you are claiming your religious relatives believe they have all the answers snd that none of them has any deep knowledge of science, history, etc, etc?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »

So you are claiming your religious relatives believe they have all the answers snd that none of them has any deep knowledge of science, history, etc, etc?

Yes, that's what I said. I'm sure I know my families and relatives much better than anyone else, since I spend so much time in my youth with them. None of them encouraged me to pursue further knowledges beyond their religious belief. They kept telling me how this world started and what will happen when we die. All of them only contributed in my basic educations, that's all.

All my schools are Christian schools, starting from kindergarden all the way though college. Christianity WAS the only truth known to me in my youth, everything else is false. My parents and relatives confirmed all those when I asked them. So in that kind of environment, I have no motivation to learn anything more beyond practical skills and knowledge to earn a living. If this isn't indoctrination, I don't know what is.

I'm not 100% sure if any of my families and relatives have more knowlede than me regarding science, history, etc. But I do know one thing for sure, ALL their answers are always so heavilly influenced by Christianity. Whenever they can't answer my questions, they always resorted to " Human can plan but it's God who decides " or " It will happen if it's God's will/plan " or something else along those lines of thinking.
So, yes Ricky. I can say that I have more technical knowledge regarding science and history than them because my mom/dad don't even know how or when Christianity started or that Christianity have more than 33.000 different denominations and still counting.

My cousins don't even know the meaning of "Jehovah", so there, even among their own religious knowledge, they're ignorant or maybe don't even care to pursue more knowledge, just BELIEVE.

I'm sure you have a point when asking me this. So, what's your point ?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 08:53:49 AM by Aceluffy »
If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
Science tackles lots of questions unrelated to religion.

What do your parents do for a living?

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2012, 01:45:00 AM »
I may have a strong opinion, but I'm not trying to make others feel like their experiences are invalid.
You may be one of the younger people on this forum but your statement above is one of the most mature statements I have read.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline willwgp86

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »
I don't know where the adventure goes from here but I'm glad you've come so far in your journey!

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
I'm thankful to all of you for the positive comments, as well as the interesting discussions that this thread sparked.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan