Author Topic: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly  (Read 7990 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »
what is "immoral", Monica?

You don't have to write that, Monica. I can see that you do make up your own interpretations.  Each theist does and looks for something that agrees with what they have declared themselves as the "real point".  Fred Phelps (the God hates fags guy)  is just as sure as yuo are that he has the "real point" of what your bible says. 

and which "literal translation" do you use, Monica?  There are quite a few bibles that claim that their way is the only "literal translation". 

and yes, hatter, I know I wrote that wrong.  Atheism, which I found through skeptical reasoning, is just a thing, but it keeps me on the straight and narrow because it shows me that I was so wrong before in my religious days.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline MonicaLynn

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2012, 09:43:58 AM »
I get the translations from language interpretation resources. Not bibles.
Only here to befriend and exchange ideas. I do believe in God, but i don't think you're going to hell.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2012, 09:49:29 AM »
I get the translations from language interpretation resources. Not bibles.

I assume you've read the bible.  Which one do you use?  and it seems that you are trying to claim that you go back to the earliest copies of the bible books that we have?  Do you?  Andwhat resources are these?  Do you mean to say that you read Aramaic and Hebrew?

what's "immoral" Monica?  I've asked you a question. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline qwan_lee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2012, 09:09:18 PM »
You greatly belittle the LIFE CHANGING event of NDE. You make it sound like they got knocked out like a boxer. These peoples
lives where changed forever! What happens to these people after they visit hell? They accept the free gift of salvation Jesus
provides to those who ask for foregiveness.

How do these people know that they are dying? That sounds like a simplistic question, but follow this. People know that they are cold by neurons from their extremities sending a signal to the brain. The brain is the sensing center of the body, (not the Heart, sorry mr. bible), so when the brain is malfunctioning about monitoring and controlling the body, how could it work perfectly to follow and relay a video message from the other side?

You know LSD and other drugs can modify the brains logic at will, so how can you assume that the NDE message is clear when the brain is dying? It makes no sense.

Tell me why these people with NDE's afterwards undergo dramatic life changing commitment to Jesus? Please point me to where LSD or other hallucinogens does this?

[I edited my prior comment.It was inflammatory..sorry.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 09:35:59 PM by qwan_lee »

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2012, 09:29:45 PM »
Tell me why these people with NDE's afterwards undergo dramatic life changing commitment to Jesus? Please point me to where LSD or other hallucinogens does this. CMON, I mean dude step back into reality. It's as if I am arguing with children.

Calm down. 

People who undergo dramatic life changes do so apart from conversion to Christianity.  It is clear the religion isn't the variable at work here, it is simply one motivation by which people can be inspired to behave. 

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »
Tell me why these people with NDE's afterwards undergo dramatic life changing commitment to Jesus? Please point me to where LSD or other hallucinogens does this. CMON, I mean dude step back into reality. It's as if I am arguing with children.

Hi Qwan, please to meet you.

1. They cause people to change because the people experiencing them feel subjectively that they are real. This doens't mean the NDE's are real or that they really "go to heaven or hell or whatever". It just means they think they do
2. I met a former alcoholic who firmly believed his saw Jesus and Jesus talked to him. My suspicion is, he experienced the DTs.
3. There are many documented cases of people who firmly believe they were abducted by UFOs. These halicinations were life changing experiences for some.\

As for your assertion that you are "arguing with children", perhaps you should consider taking children more seriously.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline qwan_lee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »

*** Moderator Notice ***

The use of nested quotes clutters threads and is seldom necessary. Please adhere to quoting guidelines in the future.

Guidelines --> Nested Quoting Notice

*** Moderator Notice ***

The bible is NOT fiction and has predicted and will continue to predict ACCURATELY into the future. I can tell you with certainty
according to KJV bible that everyone will be forced(or offered) to take the mark of the beast which will be on either your right hand or forehead. No one will buy, sell or trade without this mark. Also, look for the antichrist to sign a seven year peace treaty with Israel. Keep in mind these biblical predictions have been known for thousands of years!

BTW, the Obamacare crap program was scheduled to have US citizens implanted with a RFID chip on March 23,2013.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:26:18 AM by HAL »

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »
Tell me why these people with NDE's afterwards undergo dramatic life changing commitment to Jesus? Please point me to where LSD or other hallucinogens does this?

There were lots of them in the 1960s who declared they had a life changing revelation under LSD. 

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2012, 10:08:39 PM »
The bible is NOT fiction and has predicted and will continue to predict ACCURATELY into the future.

Ok. I'll bite because I could use the amusement. Name one accurate prediction made by the bible.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2012, 10:22:45 PM »
Ok. I'll bite because I could use the amusement. Name one accurate prediction made by the bible.

Alzael, I'll wager 50 quatloos qwan mentions the Euphrates river drying up.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2012, 10:26:50 PM »

Alzael, I'll wager 50 quatloos qwan mentions the Euphrates river drying up.

You're on.

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »
Also, look for the antichrist to sign a seven year peace treaty with Israel. Keep in mind these biblical predictions have been known for thousands of years!

Let me see if I got this straight.  The bad guy in the story signs a peace treaty.

This is a Bad Thing... how?

BTW, the Obamacare crap program was scheduled to have US citizens implanted with a RFID chip on March 23,2013.

*citation needed*
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2012, 11:11:21 PM »
The bible is NOT fiction and has predicted and will continue to predict ACCURATELY into the future. I can tell you with certainty
according to KJV bible that everyone will be forced(or offered) to take the mark of the beast which will be on either your right hand or forehead. No one will buy, sell or trade without this mark. Also, look for the antichrist to sign a seven year peace treaty with Israel. Keep in mind these biblical predictions have been known for thousands of years!

Fiction.   
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
  • What is in the bottle? No it's water
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2012, 02:57:20 AM »
I know that I have not been posting on here as much as I did last year, so I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you on how becoming an atheist has truly had a positive impact on my life.

When I first came to this forum last summer, I was in crisis. Due to my deconversion, I found myself in the middle of a deep depression where I would drag myself through my day, and I had such a hard time getting much sleep. You guys were here for me. The members of my (former) megachurch had convinced me that life away from Christ was desolate, empty agony. I even believed at one point that I would rather die than give up God. However, upon conversing with some of you, I realized that it was possible to live a fulfilling life without any kind of god at the center of it.

Today, I am a much healthier person, physically and psychologically. I lost 10 lbs (yay!) because I was able to stop abusing my body from eating too much junk food (as a Christian I had thought that only the afterlife truly matters). I was able to deal with my depression and anxiety (runs in my family, and was triggered by childhood abuse that I suffered) without any medication anymore by taking control of my own life. No longer did I have to deal with the intense pressures and worries of trying to fit into the mold of "God's plan" or "God's will," so I was able to just be myself and figure out how to be comfortable in my own skin. I realized that although I love taking care of my husband and son at home, that I did not have to limit myself just because I am female, so I went back to school.

In retrospect, I realize how much Christianity truly hurt me throughout my childhood and early adulthood.  It limits your potential to grow emotionally, intellectually and socially as a human being due to its prejudices and traditions. Atheism did not turn me into a devil-worshipping, baby-eating witch. Honestly, I have more mental clarity as an atheist than I ever did as a Christian.

I think the world would be a much more loving and fair place if there were less Christians in it. Although I have reached a point where I am not angry at Christians or threatened by them unless they get in my face, I do think that, ironically, the words of Jesus actually apply to them: "they know not what they do." A Christian has to cherry-pick Bible verses and be (at least somewhat willfully) ignorant of ones that do not make sense in the real world. That being said, I do generally have compassion for them (unless they pick a fight or do something outrageous or unfair) because they are like fearful children clinging to their belief in Santa Claus. I do not say that in spite, because I feel a great sense of peace regarding my deconversion, and my bitterness toward Christians has faded.
Can't say anything else, except Hats off to you. It takes courage to do what you did. My respects.
I will, however, express my disgust for that fictional character called "God"

If by "God", you mean the Christian god or Islam god, I'm okay with that.
But by "God", if you mean every imaginable/unimaginable concept of God ever created/not created by humans, then sorry, I am not quite okay with that.

Anyway, enjoy your life anyway and have fun.  :)

Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2012, 03:04:03 AM »
But by "God", if you mean every imaginable/unimaginable concept of God ever created/not created by humans, then sorry, I am not quite okay with that.

What is the difference Orpat? What makes the trinity and the singularity acceptable and all others not okay?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2012, 07:14:39 AM »
The bible is NOT fiction and has predicted and will continue to predict ACCURATELY into the future.

Name three accurate specific predictions it made accurately. No you may not use it predicting itself. Until you do so, you statements are absolutely indistinguishable from the ranting of any lunatic.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:58 AM »
What is the difference Orpat? What makes the trinity and the singularity acceptable and all others not okay?

I think you misinterpreted/misunderstood/misread/mistook/misquoted my earlier comment.

Or did I miss something?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:36:23 AM by orpat »
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »
yawn, more lies from Christians.  How many times has it been now that some idiot has said "it'll happen *this* time, trust me" and who has failed.  Qwan lee, you are ridiculous.  and such amusing inept lies about other people and the health care program.  It's so nice to see Christians demonstrate that even they don't really believe since they have no problem telling such petty lies and thus putting their supposed immortal souls in danger if their magic book is true.  Poor things, what will happen to these Christians who masturbate so hard to their fantasies of harm to those who dare disagree with them when their fantasies don't come true? 

and Orpat, tell us what you did mean.  It seems that you are are okay with the delusions about a trinity or a singularity but no other similarly ridiculous claim.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »

Fair enough that you feel that way.

However, any god that exists is, at the very least, guilty of doing nothing while great evil and atrocities are committed that it could very easily prevent. Many of them in the name of god/gods. So any existing god is powerless to stop such things, wants them, or doesn't care. If such a god is powerless then you wouldn't really call it god, would you? So that leaves us with any existing god either wanting such things or not caring. Either way, the god is disgusting.

Do you have an alternative god to posit that would not be considered objectionable or disgusting? Because as it stands your implied contention that there is such a thing as a god that isn't disgusting stands very much in doubt.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2012, 09:12:06 AM »
I think you misinterpreted/misunderstood/misread/mistook/misquoted my earlier comment.

Or did I miss something?

I thought it was so obvious.

Trinity = Christian God
Singularity = Islamic God.

That was what you wrote, I don't think I misinterpreted/misunderstood/misread/mistook/misquoted your earlier comment. The question is why? Why you are okay with two fairy tales and dismiss the other 4 million[1]

As of now you are 99.999% atheist!

1. Random estimate, need not be accurate

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:22 AM »
I thought it was so obvious.

Trinity = Christian God
Singularity = Islamic God.

That was what you wrote, I don't think I misinterpreted/misunderstood/misread/mistook/misquoted your earlier comment. The question is why? Why you are okay with two fairy tales and dismiss the other 4 million[1]

As of now you are 99.999% atheist!
 1. Random estimate, need not be accurate

I am not quite sure what you are questioning me about.

Are you questioning me why i accept the holy trinity or the singularity as the truth

or why i am okay with her being disgusted with the god of the bible or the quran?

Are you questioning me why i am dismissing the others as false

or why i am not quite okay with her being disgusted with the other random  4 million[2]?

How am i 99.999% atheist?

2. As you stated
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2012, 05:49:42 AM »
Fair enough that you feel that way.

However, any god that exists is, at the very least, guilty of doing nothing while great evil and atrocities are committed that it could very easily prevent.

Lots of questions. What is absolute good or evil? What is great evil and atrocity? How do you distinguish between good and evil? How do you know one act is absolutely good or absolutely evil?
Does good or evil even exist?
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2012, 06:17:40 AM »

I had expected that you would be capable of understanding the question the first time. If two detailed clarifications are not helpful, then I presume that you dont want to answer the question. Not surprising.

About the 99.999%: We atheists deny the existence of all deities. You are pretty much the same, deny all deities except two (trinity and allah). Do the math, you will find that you are 99.999% similar to an atheist, definitely more if you can actually count the total number of gods people believe in.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2012, 06:27:08 AM »
Lots of questions. What is absolute good or evil? What is great evil and atrocity? How do you distinguish between good and evil? How do you know one act is absolutely good or absolutely evil?

There is a point when hinding under the skirts of dull wordplay loses the charm, Orpat. This happened in another thread. Quit it, terribly boring. You have been given excellent answers, if you cant comprehend what was conveyed, I would suggest you try something more suitable for your intellect, like following bread crumbs or fetching the ball.

Asking the same question again and again doesn't present a formidable argument. It just shows the depths of ludicrousness.

Yeah, ask again, "What is good and evil"?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 06:28:41 AM by sun_king »

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2012, 06:29:47 AM »

I had expected that you would be capable of understanding the question the first time. If two detailed clarifications are not helpful, then I presume that you dont want to answer the question. Not surprising.

About the 99.999%: We atheists deny the existence of all deities. You are pretty much the same, deny all deities except two (trinity and allah). Do the math, you will find that you are 99.999% similar to an atheist, definitely more if you can actually count the total number of gods people believe in.

I won't blame you. You obviously lack reading ability. Your inability to understand my point is beyond belief. Now go.
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2012, 06:34:05 AM »

There is a point when hinding under the skirts of dull wordplay loses the charm, Orpat. This happened in another thread. Quit it, terribly boring. You have been given excellent answers, if you cant comprehend what was conveyed, I would suggest you try something more suitable for your intellect, like following bread crumbs or fetching the ball.

Asking the same question again and again doesn't present a formidable argument. It just shows the depths of ludicrousness.

Yeah, ask again, "What is good and evil"?

If we can't/don't come to a conclusion of what  exactly is good and evil, how could we point upwards and ask why someone is not doing anything to stop that?
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:17 AM »
I will, however, express my disgust for that fictional character called "God"

Anyway, enjoy your life anyway and have fun.  :)

Guys, I think I may be able to explain the misunderstanding to which orpat keeps referring. When I read the above quotes, I understood it to mean he agrees that the xtian or muslim god is fiction, but he's not so sure about other concepts of god. Please clarify if this is incorrect, orpat. Of course, you could have provided clarity as soon as the misunderstanding became apparent instead of becoming combative, but c'est la vie.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline orpat

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-8
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2012, 08:38:41 AM »

Guys, I think I may be able to explain the misunderstanding to which orpat keeps referring. When I read the above quotes, I understood it to mean he agrees that the xtian or muslim god is fiction, but he's not so sure about other concepts of god. Please clarify if this is incorrect, orpat. Of course, you could have provided clarity as soon as the misunderstanding became apparent instead of becoming combative, but c'est la vie.

You got that right  and alzael got that perfectly right too. And it's because you just took the time to read it. It's simple.
Hello Homo Sapiens

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2012, 10:19:42 AM »

None of those questions are actually relevant to what was asked. You were asked to posit a god that could not be considered disgusting given the obvious state of the universe and its obvious unlimited power to fix the problems of said universe.

Questions of good and evil need not filter into it. So I'm waiting for you to posit such a god.