Author Topic: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly  (Read 6252 times)

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
Re: How Atheism Has Helped Me Greatly
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
Anyway, I respect your opinions. However, I am confused as to whether you are being inquisitive or contrary. I mean no offense with that comment. However, I am trying to figure out exactly where this conversation is going

Don't feel bad, I wonder this about nearly every one of Ricky's posts.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
  • Absence of evidence is not evidence of existence.
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
I can completely relate to where you are coming from. I too experienced a deep depression once lack of evidence shattered the fundamentalist Christian beliefs I had clung to for 18 years. Ultimately, I realized that the Christian beliefs had done more harm than good, because the Christian faith teaches that an individual is completely worthless all because some guy allegedly ate a piece of fruit from the wrong tree. I came to believe so blindly that I was nothing more than a worthless, filthy sinner in God's eyes and that the only since of worth I could ever possibly have could come only from trusting in some guy who offered a human sacrifice to appease this God that my entire sense of self-worth and independence became almost entirely replaced by a total dependence on the crutch of Christianity. While I was a Christian, I thought that I was totally at peace, that Jesus had "made me worthy", etc. After my crisis of faith, I came to realize that I have worth on my own, apart from what some imaginary deity might think of me and that I do not need belief in said imaginary deity to have peace.

I am totally and completely at peace with where I am now and have no desire whatsoever to go back to Christianity.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" (Christopher Hitchens).

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
welcome to the forum GodlessHeathen.   :)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 04:38:12 PM »
Thanks, velkyn!  :)
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" (Christopher Hitchens).

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 03:03:51 PM »
Ricky, as I mentioned earlier, "I had been so brainwashed as a Christian that I still thought that being a subservient housewife was the best thing in God's eyes."

But you concede, had you remained a Christian, you could just as easily have met liberal minded working Christian women and been converted to changing your mind on that without disbelieving in God ...?

That is, it sounds like your path to disbelief lead to your path to no longer being a housewife but that may say a lot more about you than it does about Christianity per se.  :o

Imagine if, I took a course in automechanics and hated it so much that I became a chef. I could make a post against automechanics leading to cooking. Now, its true automechanics are often viewed as "he men" (and tough women) where cooking isn't always associated with the profession but I'm sure a careful investifagation would reveal that many automechanics in fact cook and enjoy cooking.

However, I am confused as to whether you are being inquisitive or contrary.

That would have to be taken on a point by point basis. We come from different backgrounds and are engaging in a dialog.

Without the conversation being complete, its rather hard to know where it may lead.

[/quote]
 I mean no offense with that comment. However, I am trying to figure out exactly where this conversation is going.  :)
[/quote]

No offense has been yet taken.

"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:17 PM »
To answer your question, Ricky, there were definitely liberal-minded working women at my church. However, as I mentioned earlier, those were typically the ones who did not want to get married or else they would have felt compelled to obey their husbands/be subservient. Since I was already married, I subscribed to the church's idea (which they repeated over and over again during church services) that a woman must serve her husband like she serves the Lord. A woman was supposed to have these as her top priorities, according to my church: God, her husband, and her child(ren). Women who had kids were considered more blessed somehow by God, and work or school was considered something more worldly. So I don't think I could have thought more liberally without my deconversion, since I had heard that sort of stuff since I was a little kid.

I think that what I experienced says a lot about my church's brand of Christianity. Different churches have different interpretations of scripture, and what I mentioned earlier is what they taught me. Some churches ignore scripture, and end up using their own SPAG (rather than the SPAG of Biblical authors) to guide them. I feel that any type of SPAG is potentially dangerous because it is simply a person's way of justifying doing whatever they please. For example, in the OT, a father is to be payed in silver shekels if his virgin daughter is raped, and she must marry her rapist. That sounds to me as if the Biblical authors wanted women to be treated as property, so they hid behind the "authority" of their God to justify that.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »
Welcome, GodlessHeathen! And good for you for realizing your own self-worth!  :)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2012, 05:31:04 PM »
Welcome, GodlessHeathen! And good for you for realizing your own self-worth!  :)

Thanks! Glad to be here!

Offline aspiringAnimator

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »
I see where you are coming from. I had always been taught to follow this god, but without any proof of him, their words had become increasingly hollow. I'm glad you had been getting better from that depression, though! Times like that are hard.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:21 AM »
Fair point about yiur church and thanks for it. The churches that I went to were perhaps lot less conservative than yours.

Even the Chinese church I went to while conservaticve in many ways had married women working ...

I believe the wife of billy graham in fact had a job for example. Could be wrong.

Some churches ignore scripture, and end up using their own SPAG (rather than the SPAG of Biblical authors) to guide them. I feel that any type of SPAG is potentially dangerous because it is simply a person's way of justifying doing whatever they please.

That is the theory yes. I'm unconvinced that its totally true. Certainly rhere is some truth to it.

Putting things in perspective, in theory atheists, not being bound by scripture can be morally bound to whatever they please. So once the churches have left the SPAG of the biblical authors, they are. O more or less scary than atheists.

For example, in the OT, a father is to be payed in silver shekels if his virgin daughter is raped, and she must marry her rapist. That sounds to me as if the Biblical authors wanted women to be treated as property, so they hid behind the "authority" of their God to justify that.

Certainly this sort of thing is played out in Muslim  countries sometimes. I think most modern countries would reject this as not being in spirit of what Jesus was conveying.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:23:55 AM by rickymooston »
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline qwan_lee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »
I know that I have not been posting on here as much as I did last year, so I wanted to share some of my thoughts with you on how becoming an atheist has truly had a positive impact on my life.

I ___________strongly___________ suggest you "convert" back to being a Christian. Heaven and hell are BOTH free. Jesus paid the price on the cross for your sins. Asking Jesus for forgiveness and asking Him into your heart(Revelation 3:20) is how you become born again. Jesus cannot change you from the outside but when you ask Him into your heart(soul) then will you be fit to be in heaven.

Look at the numerous NDE videos on youtube.com about heaven and hell. They are all saying the same thing accept the free gift of salvation or accept your free fate of hell. Don't think that you know more than NDE people who HAVE experienced EXACTLY what the bible says happens to believers and non-believers.

Here is an excellent video of a NDE:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spiritlessons?v=MA7mtcJ748U

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +44/-0
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
Look at the numerous NDE videos on youtube.com about heaven and hell. They are all saying the same thing accept the free gift of salvation or accept your free fate of hell. Don't think that you know more than NDE people who HAVE experienced EXACTLY what the bible says happens to believers and non-believers.

Here is an excellent video of a NDE:

and here's an awesome picture of dogs playing poker:

Cool, isn't it. Dogs actually do play poker. There are numerous pictures out there of similar things (that being dogs playing poker). So it's true: dogs do play poker.

/sarcasm

Do you believe dogs can play poker? If not, seeing things in visual form, without evidence, shouldn't lead towards believing, now should it?
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »
As for NDEs:

70% of people die from lack of blood oxygen.

Consciousness of the external world lasts about 15 seconds after loss of oxygen.  The cells can go on for some time on stored chemicals like glycogen.

The brain shuts off the voluntary muscles first.  This gives the appearance of death but hearing and sight continue tho the victim can't respond.   The brain centers that sense body position are shut off and the victim doesn't know the position of their body.

Blood flow to the eyes is mostly the mass of blood vessels refreshing the fovea (focal area) of the eye.  The rest of the eye, less so.  The outer parts of the vision are lost first and the central part last.  This narrowing of vision is tunnel vision.  This is the "moving thru a tunnel" phenomenon.

Loss of oxygen produces a strange irrational state.  As an example a boy who was a competitive swimmer was about to swim under a pool.  He took several deep breaths to clear CO2 from his lungs and fully oxygenate his blood stream.  Well, not fully.  But friends at the pool were saying things that made him laugh and he started over and over.  He had deep breathed at least 7 times.  Then he dove and swam.  And swam.  And swam.  He never reached a point where he had a painful urge to breath.  He did reach a point where he had an urge to breath -- not bad -- but he started to breath in water.  Why not? 

This irrational state is because the frontal lobes shut down before the rest.  The victim knows they are dying but it doesn't bother them.  That would require linking things into an if-then-therefore-and-then sequence.  That's logic and the frontal lobes do it.  So the victim gains a sense of serenity from the lack of logic.

Then blackness.  Then the loss of oxygen causes an epileptic fit across the brain.  In parallel with this, but not controlled by the brain the body may convulse and even breath a last breath with the larynx relaxed.  This is the death rattle.  As an internal sensation the victim sees memories fire off.  Unlike a dream state it's all old stuff. 

If the victim is revived the pupils are dilated even tho sight has returned.  This means there is an aura around objects they see.  One woman remembered seeing her husband.  You're thinking late husband.  Nope.  Living husband.  He was there in the operating room. She reported the glowing figures in white as angels but they were just the doctors and nurses seen with pupils dilated.

Are the Youtube videos in Hindi?  What I mean is that in his seminal book on this, Life after Life , Raymond Moody noted that Hindus saw the same things, Plato told of a Greek soldier who nearly died on a battlefield who had the same thing and a Jew who saw a bright figure waiting for him did not report it was Christ but an angel.

So:

1)  All the NDE phenomenon are produced by loss of blood oxygen.
  2)  As the saying goes, "All religions say the same thing."  That is, the NDEs do not validate any particular religion.

Offline qwan_lee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
As for NDEs:

70% of people die from lack of blood oxygen.

Consciousness of the external world lasts about 15 seconds after loss of oxygen.  The cells can go on for some time on stored chemicals like glycogen.

You greatly belittle the LIFE CHANGING event of NDE. You make it sound like they got knocked out like a boxer. These peoples
lives where changed forever! What happens to these people after they visit hell? They accept the free gift of salvation Jesus
provides to those who ask for foregiveness.

All religions ARE NOT the same. All religions _except_ Christianity think they can save themselves by being good moral upright
citizens. Christians realize every man has sinned and need foregiveness through Jesus.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord".[Romans 6:23]
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God[Romans 3:23]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:20:48 AM by HAL »

Offline qwan_lee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »
*** Moderator Notice ***

Use of nested quotes clutters threads and is not necessary. Please adhere to quoting guidelines in the future.

Link --> Nested Quoting Notice

*** Moderator Notice ***

Emily,

Well, I guess you certainly proved me wrong there! (chuckle) All that's left now is to see who's right when we die.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:32:03 AM by HAL »

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 09:12:49 PM »
All religions ARE NOT the same. All religions _except_ Christianity think they can save themselves by being good moral upright
citizens. Christians realize every man has sinned and need foregiveness through Jesus.

You don't know very much about other religions, obviously. Certainly not enough to be making any claims about them at any rate.

Case in point:Aside from the Abrahmic religions, the idea of being "saved" is extremely rare in other religions that exist now and in the past.

Christians realize every man has sinned and need foregiveness through Jesus.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord".[Romans 6:23]

So then your god condemns every baby and child to hell simply because they are not old enough to know to accept Jesus. As well as anyone who lives in a place where they were never taught about him in the first place. You are also, apparently, completely ok with this.

Not to mention the obvious implication that your version of god is punishing people for the actions of people who lived thousands of years ago.

I could go on, but I think we've pretty well established by now that you are a truly horrible person. No need to belabour the point.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 09:17:01 PM »
You greatly belittle the LIFE CHANGING event of NDE.  You make it sound like they got knocked out like a boxer.
Yep. I told the truth about it.  But I did not say it was the same phenomenon as a concussion.

These peoples lives where changed forever! What happens to these people after they visit hell? They accept the free gift of salvation Jesus provides to those who ask for foregiveness.
So?  How does that prove they didn't make a mistake?

All religions ARE NOT the same. All religions _except_ Christianity think they can save themselves by being good moral upright citizens. Christians realize every man has sinned and need foregiveness through Jesus.
I didn't say that.   What I said was that people of all religions have reported the same NDE phenomena which you think is only Christian.

I put the "All religions say the same thing" in quotes because a reasonably intelligent person would know it was a joke to repeat that cliché.  And just to make it less likely to be misunderstood I couched it in "As the saying goes".

Totally irrelevant to the matter at hand.

EDIT: Removed insults.  I apologize for the display of temper.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:54:06 PM by Historicity »

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +183/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 09:27:57 PM »
You greatly belittle the LIFE CHANGING event of NDE. You make it sound like they got knocked out like a boxer. These peoples
lives where changed forever! What happens to these people after they visit hell? They accept the free gift of salvation Jesus

I think what he was doing was giving you an alternate explanation for the phenomena of NDE's that soundly defeats your "It really was the afterlife! PRAISE JEEEEZUS!" stance.  You're response here is nothing more than an emotional appeal on your part that stands as hard and fast evidence that you have no capability of analyzing what he said with the logical side of your brain. 

His argument uses reasoned, documented, scientifically proven phenomena to describe what occurs during an NDE and your response us 'Look at how much they've changed!  They really had a super special experience!"   

His argument is better than yours.  Sorry.

All religions ARE NOT the same.  All religions _except_ Christianity think they can save themselves by being good moral upright

Who cares?  It's just one more nutty tenant of one more nutty religion.  Do you think the uniqueness of this statement has some sort of special meaning?  As if it HAS to be true just because other religions don't say the exact same thing?  It doesn't.  It's still fake. 

I, personally, would prefer that all of you think you can save yourselves by being good, moral, upright citizens.  That would at least make you responsible for your actions.  As it is now, if you do something bad, all you have to do is ask your invisible friend for forgiveness and everything is fine.  Haven't you ever heard the joke about the bike??? 

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

I'm just glad I don't believe in your Jesus.  I don't know how I could look at myself in the mirror every day. 

Thanks, but most of us have read the book already.  It's fiction. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 09:46:24 PM »
I forgot to give my source on those medical facts.

The are from a Gerry Woerlee an anesthesiologist in Holland who had written peer reviewed papers on the phenomena.   I read it in his book, The Unholy Legacy of Abraham.  I downloaded it when he offered it for free.  He has now put it behind a $6.95 pay wall but it it worth that much.  That was in a fictional context.

Here are some of his articles:
Near Death Experiences.        That covers the same material I used above. 
Pam Reynolds Near Death Experience
CSICOP -- Darkness, Tunnels and Light

One item above that was not from him was when I looked for advice on underwater swimming on the internet.  They used to have underwater swimming contests but they had near-drowning incidents like the guy who kept on swimming at the end of the pool instead of turning for a lap and he slammed his head into the concrete.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2012, 10:34:40 PM »

So, how do we confirm that they did indeed visit hell, instead of having a delusion brought about by oxygen deprivation in the brain, like Historicity said?  That's the key point that you don't seem to understand.  The very fact that you have to claim that we'll know once we die is a critical logical error, because it makes it impossible to prove the claim true or false.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2012, 10:48:56 PM »

How do these people know that they are dying? That sounds like a simplistic question, but follow this. People know that they are cold by neurons from their extremities sending a signal to the brain. The brain is the sensing center of the body, (not the Heart, sorry mr. bible), so when the brain is malfunctioning about monitoring and controlling the body, how could it work perfectly to follow and relay a video message from the other side?

You know LSD and other drugs can modify the brains logic at will, so how can you assume that the NDE message is clear when the brain is dying? It makes no sense.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 03:19:29 PM »
I want to say atheism in and of itself has done nothing for me. It is, however, the consequence, of something that has done a great deal for me. Logical Skepticm. A system of making sure what I think is internally consistent, and consistent with fact. That has made all the difference in the world. I can tell when someone is making a reasonable argument, and when someone is not making a reasonable argument.  I can actually make decisions in line with reality! Including, when someone is telling me I am wrong, to see if I do need to modify my beliefs to be even more in line with reality.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »
Thank you for that Curiousgirl.  That is why this site and others are so important.  It is criminal what some Christians do to others especially if they question or escape like you did.  And to take control of your life both physically and emotionally...GREAT JOB!!!

(PS - may I point out just how good a fresh baby is...but lets keep that a secret.) ;)
I was gonna mention that, but saw that she had lost 10 lbs., so...
I don't want her blaming my recipes if she puts it back on.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline MonicaLynn

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:51 PM »
It is good to hear that someone has made progress in their life no matter how it came about ( so long as not immoral of course).  I have found recently hat my relationship was bettered with my husband when following the verse in Ephesians about being submissive. I don't like tha interpretation, so I dug further. I found other interpretations to say " be subject to" which I like because I think of loyal subject, and if we are both being that to each other, how great is that? We are arguing less. I trust him more, and the happieness in my house has gone way up. Funny enough though, the literal translation from the original Greek text says " and wives, also to the husbands, as to the Lord " . There is no action verb. It just means to me that we should love and respect each other in a way that cannot be put into words :)
Only here to befriend and exchange ideas. I do believe in God, but i don't think you're going to hell.

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +57/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2012, 03:56:45 AM »

This little (well, actually HUGE) detail is the biggest failure of xtianity, IMO. It essentially posits that if a horrible person (the usual go-to guy in these situations is Hitler, of course) on his death bed sincerely repents and accepts Christ he will be forgiven and happily accepted into heaven, while a non-xtian who has led an exemplary life will burn in hell. This is utter and complete horse shit, and how you can think that it somehow makes xtianity "special" and/or better than other religions is both a mystery and kind of frightening to me.

It is especially infuriating that most xtians seem to have the view that atheists must be totally immoral without god, yet proudly espouse this ridiculous hunk of dogma which clearly states that how one behaves does not matter to god for salvation.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:00:18 AM by DumpsterFire »
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2012, 09:23:02 AM »
Monica, 

Immoral?  I wonder how you define that.  If one goes with the bible, it's immoral to think that it is a pile of mythical nonsense. 

I love how you can decide that you don't like an interpretation so you just make up your own.  Wow, how great is that to make up a religion for yourself and a god that agrees with you?  I am not a subject to my husband.  I am an equal partner.  I love my husband and he loves me.  And we know that by what we do.  I see no evidence that your god loves anything or anyone. 

My atheism helped me greatly, much like Hatter said.  It made me think about things skeptically and now I'm much happier since I am not afraid of any mythical bogeyman, that I know my actions are important, and that doing things here and now are all the chance I'll get, like loving a man I would have been too shy to approach. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline MonicaLynn

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2012, 09:36:05 AM »
I don't make up my own. Don't recall writing that. I simply consult different interpretations to see who got the real point, and gauge that in comparison to love. To simply submit to someone or something is not love, it is ignorance. God didn't give me a brain not to be used. I always consult the literal translation from the original texts. I find these more meaningful usually.

Also, my actions are very important. I don't think God is going to welcome me into His house if I act like an ass out in the streets.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:37:49 AM by MonicaLynn »
Only here to befriend and exchange ideas. I do believe in God, but i don't think you're going to hell.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
Monica, 

My atheism helped me greatly, much like Hatter said. 

Actually, I said it has done nothing for me. It is the consequence of Logic, which has made my understanding on nearly everything, vastly more clear.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2012, 09:40:34 AM »
I don't make up my own. Don't recall writing that. I simply consult different interpretations to see who got the real point, and gauge that in comparison to love. To simply submit to someone or something is not love, it is ignorance. God didn't give me a brain not to be used. I always consult the literal translation from the original texts. I find these more meaningful usually.

That's what she said. You're effectively making up your own interpretations.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.