Author Topic: Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q.  (Read 963 times)

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q.
« on: February 06, 2012, 04:32:35 PM »
I remember reading on this site about why some people are racist, and in one of my classes our professor handed us this print out of an article from Brock University.

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/01/04/0956797611421206.full.pdf+html

the huffington post short version.

Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

I wonder if this is also why people fall for religion...
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
it's been posted on the forum before, but this book, The Authoritarians,  supports some of this:  http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/ 

Religion tends to be conservative, only changing in the face of the most extreme cultural adjustments.  It claims a simple answer to a very complex problem.  I think that simple would appeal to those less intelligent.  It makes them feel that they finally get something and that in getting it, they get a magic prize.  Very appealing stuff.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »
but this book, The Authoritarians,  supports some of this:  http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/ 

The Authoritarians is a very good read.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »
Why might less intelligent people be drawn to conservative ideologies? Because such ideologies feature "structure and order" that make it easier to comprehend a complicated world, Dodson said. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice," he added.

Of course! It's been said so many times. Ignorance and stupidity are the foundations of religion. It thrives because it has all the answers, provided you don't have many questions.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Jake

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-2
  • I see what you do there.
    • Pat Condel's Godless Comedy
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:14:27 AM »

Of course! It's been said so many times. Ignorance and stupidity are the foundations of religion. It thrives because it has all the answers, provided you don't have many questions.

Or, for that matter, have any concern for whether or not the answers are basically 'Because Unicorns' and so on.       Feeling informed is as good as being informed to the unintelligent (or for that matter, the intellectually lazy).    Maybe better as it requires very little effort.
"I don't respect your religious beliefs and I don't care if this offends you." - Pat Condel and myself along with him.   I do respect intelligence, rationality and logical consideration, however.    Humor's always good too.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 04:10:03 AM »
Evolution is all about efficiency, which is why religion survives. It gives us easy answers if we only have easy questions, and it never ever has to prove itself. Religion survives because it's maintainance costs are very very low.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Jake

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-2
  • I see what you do there.
    • Pat Condel's Godless Comedy
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:58:30 AM »
Evolution is all about efficiency, which is why religion survives. It gives us easy answers if we only have easy questions, and it never ever has to prove itself. Religion survives because it's maintainance costs are very very low.

I wish you didn't have a tragically good point so I could declare this stupid and wrong and call you a bananaface or something, but...yep.  Pretty much nailed it.   

...Bananaface is still fun to say though, and may have been half the reason for this post.   Bananaface.
"I don't respect your religious beliefs and I don't care if this offends you." - Pat Condel and myself along with him.   I do respect intelligence, rationality and logical consideration, however.    Humor's always good too.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
At a certain point it just becomes herd mentality which has it's benefits and drawbacks. There becomes a need to separate one group from the other, thus stereotypes are born.   

"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline qwan_lee

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:35:59 PM »
I remember reading on this site about why some people are racist, and in one of my classes our professor handed us this print out of an article from Brock University.

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/01/04/0956797611421206.full.pdf+html

the huffington post short version.

Actually why people "fall for religion".... is it is the simplest solution to explain everything without adding undo complexity.
Religion adheres to Occam's razor's model and is strongly preferred over the utterly complex and EVER CHANGING lies of the Big Bang BS.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 09:50:23 PM »

Actually why people "fall for religion".... is it is the simplest solution to explain everything without adding undo complexity.

Untrue. Religion only seems to be simple. In fact it's actually far more complex once you actually have to explain things beyond "goddidit".

Religion adheres to Occam's razor's model and is strongly preferred over the utterly complex and EVER CHANGING lies of the Big Bang BS.

No it doesn't. Occams razor says to remove assumptions that have no explanatory power. Which is what religion falls into. Take the Big Bang for example. Let's say that I were to ask you how did the universe first start. You would then say "goddidit" then try and nod sagely in a sad attempt to make me think you were wise and that you had actually answered the question.

The truth however is that you didn't answer the question at all. Even if god was the one who created it, your answer doesn't tell how it actually happened. What's more you've now added in new questions, such as "What made god?" and "why did god do it?" and "What kind of a moron would actually be convinced by the kind of arguments qwan_lee is trying to peddle?"

This is why Christianity has been around for the better part of two millennia and still has to divest the majority of it's theological efforts into trying to justify how it makes any sort of rational sense.

As for ever-changing.......you're kidding right? There are over 38,000 religious denominations just among Christians. And they all use the exact same book with the exact same god and the exact same evidence. Please, at least think about these things before you type them. I prefer to at least have to work for it when I point out when someone is being an idiot.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:53:34 PM by Alzael »
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 10:06:17 PM »

To you, the God answer for everything may seem less complex, but thinking people recognize that the opposite is true.  Adding a god to the equation just makes things more complex.  It raises far more questions than it answers.   

But simple solutions (such as religion in the way you use it) are for people who are too lazy to do the hard work that it takes to truly understand things.  If everyone believed as you, we would still be hitting each other over the head with large sticks and living in caves. 

Where do you people come from? 

This is Christianity 101.  Take something you have a poor understanding of and use it in an argument in order to sound smart, but in the process, make yourself look stupider.  Thank you for providing the example of the day. 

Occam's razor ...  a principle urging one to select among competing hypotheses that which makes the fewest assumptions and thereby offers the simplest explanation of the effect.

Bolded to show you your glaring error.  Assuming an all seeing, all knowing, all powerful, yet invisible, undetectable, unmeasurable being in the sky is the most massive, unreasonable assumption you could possibly make.  Granted, it does make things simple... and that's why it has so much appeal. Because simple minds need simple answers when the complex ones are too hard to grasp.  Why does grass grow?  God makes it grow.  Where does Thunder come from?  God makes it thunder.  What is the wind?  God's breath.  How did that table get into the room?  God put it there.  All very simple answers... yet completely stupid in light of current knowledge to the contrary. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:48 PM »
Granted, it does make things simple... and that's why it has so much appeal. Because simple minds need simple answers when the complex ones are too hard to grasp.  Why does grass grow?  God makes it grow.  Where does Thunder come from?  God makes it thunder.  What is the wind?  God's breath.  How did that table get into the room?  God put it there.  All very simple answers... yet completely stupid in light of current knowledge to the contrary.

Not to mention, by this logic, we would have to chuck the entirety of science out the window. Germ theory goes because illness caused by demon spirits is the simpler answer. Gravity is gone because it can be easier explained as God's love holding us down to earth. Relativity goes because space and time is God's domain.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 05:40:40 AM »
Souns like high school in Tenn.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:45 AM »

okay, qwan_lee, then give us evidence that it is your god and only your god responsible for everything. I've been waiting years for this evidence that you claim you have now with your post above.   

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 02:38:48 AM »
Bolded to show you your glaring error.  Assuming an all seeing, all knowing, all powerful, yet invisible, undetectable, unmeasurable being in the sky is the most massive, unreasonable assumption you could possibly make.  Granted, it does make things simple... and that's why it has so much appeal. Because simple minds need simple answers when the complex ones are too hard to grasp.  Why does grass grow?  God makes it grow.  Where does Thunder come from?  God makes it thunder.  What is the wind?  God's breath.  How did that table get into the room?  God put it there.  All very simple answers... yet completely stupid in light of current knowledge to the contrary.

I still contend that religion is difficult to brush aside due to primarily two reasons - basically due to it being hammered into people's heads as they grow up and the fear of no longer being in it, or trying to get out of it.  But your statement that I quoted is right on the mark.  Religion offers absurd answers to questions.  When I was catholic, I used to think that everything had meaning, purpose, and that it was all laid out like a script.  Now, even though it made sense at the time, it begs the question of how do I happen to do everything that was intended, and then why is there a later judgement, if everything that is happening is due to an all-knowing and powerful God that also happens to dictate every thought and decision in your life, only to later judge you based on that.  It makes no sense when you actually think about it..

All I had to do to drive it home for me was to look at this website and look at another religion, and then my own.  I dumped it quick.  Reasons are simple.  Even though we were taught it was absolutely correct and right and good, it was actually none of those things in completeness.  Everything had major flaws.  Even when I thought Jesus was remarkable and couldn't be disproven, it was absolutely shown to me with the more research I did that these texts weren't even written by his deciples, but rather by groups of people at the time trying to appeal to an audience, at the time.

Science gives us so much more.  If you can think in terms of complexity, I think you'll find that what physics is now doing (I'm watching Steven Hawkings and 'The Universe' on Netflix), we are seeing that the universe basically, if you can imagine it in 3D space, would look similar to one of my screen-savers.  It basically expands until it turns itself inside-out (the big rip), and should then at some point bring all the matter about again from the center (creating a good condition for the opposite tear in space-time and therefore a good condition for a higgs-boson).  Going by calculations, it should do this over and over since we have seen that calculating backwards to the beginning of the universe and continuing goes into another time period.  But, there's also a hypothesis that dictates multiple universes in co-existence.  However, all of these mathematical theories are better explanations for how things come to be than religion.  The fact that life exists simply because the conditions are just right and we have millions of years of chemistry colliding in order to form a bacteria is scientific fact. 

Then, the fact that people, if they can't understand physics or science; would rather want to say the truth is in the religious pudding that they also obviously don't understand - that is beyond me.  I can only say that they aren't searching enough or the right information isn't being put in front of them.

But, I score absolutely perfect in solving information and puzzles on an IQ score.  So, I can't really determine how someone else would view such things..
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 03:00:41 AM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +507/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »
Occam's razor is not about the simplest answer being the most likely to be correct.  It's about the answer that requires the fewest assumptions being the most likely to be correct.  And when you have a complex problem, a simple answer is seldom good, let alone the best, because it often requires you to make assumptions in order to actually answer the complexities of the problem.

"God created the heavens and the earth" sounds simple enough, but it makes assumptions about how.  And those assumptions carry other assumptions, and so on, until you end up with an "answer" that's more complicated than any scientific theory.

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 03:36:56 PM »
I have it on good authority that William Of Occam is reincarnated and now lives in Las Vegas. His name is Vinni and his occupation is that of bookie.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »
poor Qwan.  I see he was on a couple of days ago and evidently had no time to share his evidence for his god.