Author Topic: So Close! Egypt May Yet Claim WORLD RECORD Status!  (Read 460 times)

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
So Close! Egypt May Yet Claim WORLD RECORD Status!
« on: February 01, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
http://football.thestar.com.my/2012/02/02/egyptian-soccer-fans-stampede-after-game/

Egypt tried to best a 1996 Guatemalan record for football (soccer) riot fatalities.  So far, they have come up short, but some of the THOUSAND people who were injured could still die and push them over the top.

It was a celebratory riot, BTW.

You thought jihadists were a problem? 

And they've been trying to bring that deadly sport here to America for decades!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: So Close! Egypt May Yet Claim WORLD RECORD Status!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 08:39:40 PM »
Soccer sure can arouse the passions like no other sport.

I remember that the Colombian goalkeeper who scored an own-goal at USA 94 was shot dead when he got home.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:31 PM »
It has its own wikipedia page, so obviously it's not isolated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_hooliganism

TSA, DHS!  What are you doing to keep hooligans out?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:06:39 PM »
Begs the question...how many soccer related deaths have their been over the years.

Fuck it, how many sports related deaths period.

Is there a correlation between the participants in these riots and religious affiliation?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:52:22 PM »
I just don't get it.  Soccer is so boring.  I must be missing something.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »
I just don't get it.  Soccer is so boring.  I must be missing something.

I think it has something to do with the tease factorTM
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Rustybeatz

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »
Green Street Hooligans was a cool movie.  I think Elijah Wood is a good actor, I just didn't like him in Lord of the Rings for some reason.  Another movie he was in that is really good is Everything is Illuminated.  Anyway, Green Street Hooligans was a cool movie.

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:22:57 AM »
Soccer brings out the worst in people. I am pretty mild-mannered but I've been yellow carded, red carded, and inches away from a fist fight with a referee. This was all in a co-ed rec league. :-[ Did I mention that my brother left in the middle of the game because he farted and accidently shit his pants. He was he goalie. Everyone was saying WTF?  :?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:32:01 AM »
It sure would have stunk not having a goalie.

Hang on...
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 02:56:26 AM »
Football hooliganism is certainly to an extent a case of 'if you treat them like animals ...'
In England, things started to improve once they removed all the fences around the pitch. In Belgium, the teams with the least hooligans are those without the fences. Also, more and more politicians and chiefs of police are calling into question the so called 'buscombi'[1]. Buscombis tend to raise agression levels among both those being driven like cattle and the home fans.  'high risk' games where the combi was canceled at the last minute tend to go ahead without much ado.

Of course this isn't all there is to it. People stuck at the bottom rung of the social ladder often use football as their way of lashing out. Many haven't got a clue about their team or the game they're watching. Ban football and the violence moves to a different sport. The Dutch band Heideroosjes once made a song about a checkers club hooligan .
Remeber those riots in England last year? If you ban sports all together, you'll see a rise in these kinds of orchestrated riots. Paris and Brussels have suffered these kinds of 'any excuse will do' riots too, recently.
Why does this violence seem linked to football? Hell, it's the number one sport worldwide. In India, fe, where pro football will only start next season, they have cricket riots.
 1. where fans of the visiting club must travel, in group, by bus and no tickets are sold on the day of the match.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 03:14:22 AM »
Remeber those riots in England last year? If you ban sports all together, you'll see a rise in these kinds of orchestrated riots. Paris and Brussels have suffered these kinds of 'any excuse will do' riots too, recently.
Why does this violence seem linked to football? Hell, it's the number one sport worldwide. In India, fe, where pro football will only start next season, they have cricket riots.

It's been my contention all along that humans are violent creatures. It really doesn't matter what the excuse is. Take away religion and there is still sports and politics, rich and poor, black and white, us vs. them.

It's the internal conflict manifesting itself externally. God is psychotic because he was created in our image.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 09:19:58 AM »
A few days ago someone linked to this article:

Psychology Today -- Why Atheism Will Replace Religion by Nigel Barber, PhD, an "evolutionary psychologist".

I didn't notice that anyone here thought it was particularly insightful.  Indeed, I noticed this statement:
Moreover, sport psychologists find that sports spectatorship provides much the same kind of social, and spiritual, benefits as people obtain from church membership. In a previous post, I made the case that sports is replacing religion.

Unfortunately, some of that may be true.

He also says:
Precisely the same argument can be made for other forms of entertainment with which spectators become deeply involved.

So the Trekkies at a convention are doing it religiously!

Barber's previous article is:
Is Sport a Religion?

Articles like that remind me of what a psychologist told me:  Real psychologists generally don't read Psychology Today.

Fluffy metaphorical analogies can be drawn between anything and anything.

Hey!  Going to sleep at night is a religion.  While it is an individual activity I can show that people all across the country do it at the same time.  There is a communion of such rituals as tooth brushing before and coffee afterwards.  People talk about its health benefits (salvation, y'know) and scold people who do not get a good night's sleep.  There is an entire industry making mood altering drugs, sacramental vestments (pajamas), prayer rug/pews (beds).  People who stay awake at night walking the streets are suspected of being sinful.  There are even sleep hymns (lullabyes).

"The parallels are endless," said a philosophy professor in his denunciation of the "jogging/running craze" as a false religion.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
^indeed, if those are the standards to go by, just about anything can be called a religion.
I believe Aronra makes the point that, for something to be a religion, there needs to be a promise of continuation of self after death. That is definitly absent from sports fandom. The TEAM will continue on after you die ... the team doesn't care if you're there in the stands or not. Even if a disaster wipes out most of the team, new players will show up and take their place. But the continuation of the individual fan? Nope.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
if soccer/football engenders this, I'd think rugby would even be worse, but it doesn't seem to be the case.  ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »
They were taling about this on the car radio as I was driving home from work tonight. There appears to be more to it than football hooliganism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16863190

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/video/2012/feb/02/egypt-football-violence-port-said-video
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
Soccer brings out the worst in people. I am pretty mild-mannered but I've been yellow carded, red carded, and inches away from a fist fight with a referee. This was all in a co-ed rec league. :-[ Did I mention that my brother left in the middle of the game because he farted and accidently shit his pants. He was the goalie. Everyone was saying WTF?  :?
The only other memorable moment I can remember is a dude was about to kick a free-kick. He backed up and took a step, looked around for a split second and dropped like a sack of spuds. Blown Achilles heel. With no insurance. He was back on his feet in a year or so. Yep, rec soccer is so worth it.  ;D