What's Skyrim?

Author Topic: Skyrim  (Read 4262 times)

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
Re: Skyrim
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 02:38:03 AM »
I'm running the PS3 version.

I got all eight masks, and then the 'ninth' outside the maze place... but by this point the character was too uber to really play and have fun with, and most of the dungeons and ruins were cleaned out.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-9
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2011, 02:44:22 AM »
I used to think tolerance to parroted memes was a requirement
Then I took an arrow to the need.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »
Of course, quoting them right IS a requirement.  :p

'Knee', said the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +219/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2011, 01:26:14 AM »
Maybe you'll appreciate this.  If you're younger than I, you'll cringe like my daughter did.  If your older, maybe you'll sympathize.

So last week we were in GameStop getting some games for Christmas.  We already had Skyrim at home waiting to be opened so I knew that it existed.  That's about it.  I was shopping with my dd to get games for the boys (dad and brothers) and we were waiting in line to make our purchases when I see this poster hanging from the ceiling like a sign:

I started to tease my daughter and told her that looks a little like Beelzebub and was I inviting demons into my house?  She patiently endured my teasing and said no, no demons, don't worry.  So I said he doesn't look like a very nice guy.  He doesn't look like a nice guy at all.  Is Skyrim a good guy or a bad guy, I asked, and ever so sweetly she said, "Mom...I don't think 'Skyrim' is his name."  The two guys behind us in line burst out laughing and the one guy told his friend he remembers taking his mom shopping.

But then I saw this thread and now I'm all caught up with the knee meme and so once again, I'm a cool parent. 

hehehe, I wish.   

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-9
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2011, 02:09:50 AM »
Of course, quoting them right IS a requirement.  :p

....as a requirement to be a parrot you are correct

as a "subvert the paradigm", just think of it as a more subtle knee to the nuts. :)

'Knee', said the Knights Who Say 'Ni'.

..........we don't need no steenkin badgering from kneejerk responses.

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 02:31:33 AM »
Actually, as I explained to my brother, I would NOT recommend this game for school aged children of any age.  Even college kids.

Not for the content (though your character is downright EVIL, if you finish all of the story lines; assassinations, murders, betrayal, torture, oh my!).  Basically, I think a Grand Theft Auto character is typically a nicer guy, even with a body count in the thousands.  Nothing like calling down a three-glyph 'Call Storm' shout on a castle full of people, and watching the lightning erase all of the little red dots.  Or just having a dragon slaughter them.  Or attracting some trusting person to be sacrificed, and then sacrificing them.

This game contains HUNDREDS of hours of play time.  It's a really good value, hours to money. 

I would fully expect this to lower a student's overall grades by a full letter.  Just like one of the 'Fallout' games could.  Or Grand Theft Auto could.

It's really easy to get immersed in the game, and then notice the sun rising.  The real one, not the one in the game.

Not a good recipe for kids who have to go to school well rested, who should have been studying for something, or working on something, but decided to play 'just this one quest'.

BTW, the demons are 'daedra', and the gods are 'aedra'.  That's more or less the only difference - and some are called 'demons' in the game.  And you do jobs for them (including human sacrifice).  There are books in the game that explain the difference.  Your kid may not want to touch a real book, but they'll skim through short books in the game for experience rewards and hints to dungeons and treasures.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +27/-22
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2011, 10:40:27 PM »
Moderation is the key. If not, at least let them be responsible for their actions for once. Just don't blame the game for the problems of the people.

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 12:23:29 AM »
Well, that's a bit like telling a kid to take it easy on their halloween candy. 

Don't masturbate, y'hear! 

If you can monitor the game play, and kick them off the TV, great... but so many kids have a TV of their own, and the game console in their room... a terrible combination.  Made worse by a game that they might not be able to put down.  Even try to 'keep up' with friends who got it back in November, versus Christmas.

At least it's a single player game.  Not that I haven't shared a controller to play a single person game.  But it is very immersive and will suck away the hours.  Only beating the game will really reduce your urge to play it. 

If you're the sort that played out all five endings to New Vegas (House, Yes Man, NCR, Caesar, Self), you'll probably play this game more than one way, too.

Though starting over, I basically went almost straight to the assassin missions to march through that far enough to get Binky the horse, before dealing with dragons (I did a few things in windhelm, and basically stopped short of going to the tower). 

Everybody (including dragons) is so usefully distracted by that indestructible horse, and of course, having the indestructible horse to go straight up the sides of 'impassable' mountains is handy, since I'm too lazy to find and follow a 'path' until I'm at the top, looking down at it.

Even then, I discovered with just a few hours invested in the game, I was mowing down undead & falmer and their pets and everything else with my level 6 cat and fairly wimpy bow, like they were nothing.  Sneak & Snipe works pretty well, once you have some sneaky, snipey equipment (like you get for being an assassin) and know what to do with it.  Sticking to sneak and bow, and mainly perking just them accelerates their leveling like nobody's business.  And I'm 'good enough' at the lockpick subgame to open almost any lock without any character skill.

I wonder how many people play the cat, versus anything else?  I've never managed to drown, so being a lizard probably isn't much help, since most of those levels have air pockets to be playable by other characters.  Endless good night vision (lots of dark corners with goodies in them, not least plucking every light source that can be plucked) and unarmed combat (various 'brawl' options in conversation trees) came in handy throughout the game.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5020-The-Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 10:00:08 AM »
I've been playing mainly with a Bosmer Sneaky Archer.

I've been using a certain plugin that is fully configurable and one thing it does is it changes the level up system to be more fluid and under-the-hood. I haven't once had to go to the level up screen to level up. If you're one of those people that saves your level up till a boss fight, it also removes that cheesy ability (if you use default config). To increase in HP, defult config, uses Melee skills as a base. For more stamina you need to increase your dex based skills and if you want more MP, you have to increase your magic skills. After I first loaded this plug-in my Level 16 Sneaky Archer went from 200+ Hp to 115. Because of this, I intentionally use 1-Handed and Block from time to time[1].

Yes, I actually liked that. Makes it more 'Quest for Glory'-ish.

I'm beginning to get a small Lich mask collection. Some of them are lame (from the perspective of a Sniper), but there is one that lets you breathe underwater. Once you get that, the Argonian Racial Ability is moot. Same for Animal Ally shout rendering the Bosmer ability moot. Guess I can see what Night Eye is like... and have a Kitty Werewolf.  :o
 1. Light Armor, of course.

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 05:42:37 PM »
The lycanthrocat was kind of useless.  Maybe if I'd stuck with it, I'd have become a more powerful werewolf, but being well rested is important to a cat, so I chucked a witch head into the blue fire for me and killed my own ghost doggy during that little quest.  I'm just not good with the close-up combat, so I just shoot 'em, if I can avoid it.

You can get infected with vampirism by fighting with vampires, too.  But just swigging a 'cure disease' cleared that right up.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Musician, Political Activist & Secular Humanist
    • My Website
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 01:26:02 PM »
Woah.... It's been so long since I created this thread. I've been playing Skyrim... xD

I'm level 50-something now, and have now got some marvellous Daedric armour and swords which I have enchanted with every enchantment I could think of... Dual wielding Daedric swords with soul snares, freezing shocking and burning. Works quite well, kills a dragon in three lovely slices. I like getting right in there and just f**king everyone up, so I didn't bother with most of the stealthy stuff, it's more fun to just attack :D

I'm a dark elf... not sure if that's any good, but the fire resistance was useful against Dragons.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
I like the puzzle of how to kill 'em all without dealing with getting hurt.

But by the time I was level 40-something, there wasn't much left to do, without basically questing a list off the internet to find obscure things that I missed.

So I backed the 'Katfud' game/character up and started a brand-new game as 'Mew'. 

But just restarting, I already knew exactly what to go get, to build up a new sneaky-snipey dude.  I haven't touched the game in a few days.  But the to-do list is to get the shadowmere horsey, do the three part (+fuse) amulet quest, find the guy at the college who wanted the cogs, and try to finish his quests, and then polish off the college woo-woo-ball to-do list.  By then, I'll be back to being able to start the dragon junk and exterminate dragons, even multiple dragons, since the distract & destroy tactics work so well on them... and everyone else.  That is, when sneak & snipe isn't an option.  Which it usually is, even with dragons.  They're pretty easy to evade, if you just don't want to deal with them.

Basically, by the time your character has his/her hands/paws on an ebony bow, you're a god.  I had one enchanted with fire, and one enchanted with soul capture.  Both simply to give feedback that I'd hit what I was aiming at, though the soul snare bow will fill up all your gems with weaklings pretty quick.  Even big gems with weaklings.  Which was kind of a bummer, once I realized what I had done.  "Gah!  Grand soul gems stuffed with bugs!  BUGS!"

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
Both simply to give feedback that I'd hit what I was aiming at, though the soul snare bow will fill up all your gems with weaklings pretty quick.  Even big gems with weaklings.  Which was kind of a bummer, once I realized what I had done.  "Gah!  Grand soul gems stuffed with bugs!  BUGS!"

Well, at least now they start with the smallest size they can fit in, instead of starting with the largest. Filling up your Grand Soul Gems with Mudcrabs when you have plenty of the smaller ones.... made many people mad in Morrowind. iirc, there's a plug-in to fix that.

I have heard that if you get a Soul Gem filled with something you don't want, you can drop it onto the ground and pick it back up again. It's supposed to purge it. However, this isn't supposed to work this way for store bought filled gems, only empties that you filled yourself. Since I have more gold that I know what to do with, I buy pre-filled gems anyways. When you start finding ebony weapons... it seems no shop carries enough gold to buy them from me, so my choice is to either leave all the ebony weapons or buy soul gems. So therefore I haven't tested it out yet.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +107/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
PC Version ( steam ), I've logged 112 hours of game play and have only just began to finish the main questline.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
Skyrim Characters are MORMONS!
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2012, 09:40:43 PM »
Evidence:

When I first ran the game and went to Whiterun, I was disquieted by the water running OUT of the medieval castle. 

I know how medieval castles work!  EWW!  Don't step in it!

But my concerns were ill-founded.

There are no bathrooms.

Search as you might, no privies, no outhouses, garderobe, no toilets, no nothing.  I found a certain bucket in a small room with a shovel... for a large castle full of people (who won't need the bucket anymore).  Maybe it wasn't a restroom.

There's nowhere to 'go'.

At first, I considered this to be evidence that skyrim people, like bears, shit in the woods. 

But that seems inconvenient for the townies.  Especially on the northern parts of the map.

So consider the magic underwear!  You can strip everyone nekked... except for their underwear.  On there like it's textured onto their mesh!

The underpants gnomes have their work cut out for them, I'll tell you.

The underwear must be MAGIC! 

And who else wears magical underwear?  Hmm???

Possibly it is like dimensional diapers, so you just poop/pee as you go, and the stuff ends up in Oblivion, for one of the somewhat less glorious daedric princes to manage.  I wonder what its name is?  Doesn't advertise for worshipers... 'cuz look at the shitty afterlife you'd get.  I suppose it'd be a paradise... if you were a fly.  Sort of like the hunting paradise for werewolf people.

The horses apparently don't poop, either, unlike real horses that poop (and eat) more or less constantly.  Maybe they're Mormons, too.

I would wager that Skyrim bears don't shit in the woods, but I have not observed them closely to verify, whereas the camera has followed my horse's arse for hours without a single emission.  Mostly, the bears just sit like a rock until I get a certain distance from them, then they get all ticked off and chase me around, and that's the end of the experiment.

Offline Luigi

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • ^.^
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 01:40:50 AM »
For those who haven't heard the epic rap:

I must say, I like Skyrim quite a bit and I haven't even played yet. My roommate at college has an Xbox and she bought it the same day it came out and played it for about 48 hours straight. I wasn't a huge fan of Oblivion so I didn't think I'd like Skyrim, but it looks like fun.

However, I'm more of a first person shooter type of person. Give me a gun and some enemies and I'm good.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 05:28:45 AM »
Then do the sneak & snipe arrow asshole thing that I mentioned earlier.

The bow & arrow isn't rapid fire, or anything, and you have to lead your targets quite a bit to hit anything, but it has more or less unlimited range.  You can go through most of the game never taking your hands off a bow at all.  At least not until some draugr with a 'disarm' shout makes your one-of-a-kind bow fly off and drop into a crevas, or something.

Though if you go through most of the shooters with a shotgun and a chainsaw, you can equip with some ginsu knives and slit people up. 

Or shoot flames/ice/electricity at people. 

It's actually kind of silly as the 'skill' levels up and people that get hit fly backwards.  Almost as silly as when 'sneak' gets high and you can creep two feet in front of enemies' faces and they don't notice you.  I started into the dragon stuff, but between the horse and high sneak, I'm actually having a tough time finding dragons to light up the shouts with (not that 90% of the shouts aren't useless).  The dragons are challenging and interesting the first ten times... but the next hundred times, they do get a bit annoying.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2012, 08:30:38 AM »
I used to be an adventurer like you, then I got arrested for taking an arrow to the face of someone who told me they took an arrow to the knee!
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz