Author Topic: Komen breast cancer group caves to religious pressure  (Read 709 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Komen breast cancer group caves to religious pressure
« on: January 31, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »
Over the past five years, Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation funds have enabled Planned Parenthood health centers to provide nearly 170,000 clinical breast exams and referrals for more than 6,400 mammograms. These cancer detection and prevention programs saved the lives of women who often had nowhere else to turn for care.

Now, after facing criticism from anti-choice, anti-women's health groups, the Komen Foundation has decided to stop supporting women seeking care at Planned Parenthood health centers.

I never liked the hype around breast cancer and I doubly don't like it now.  This reminds me unfortunately of how the American Cancer Society has treated secular groups: http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2011/10/13/american-cancer-society-moves-from-dodging-to-covering-their-track/ 

It is a shame that organizations are cowards and cave in the face of the hatred of religious groups.   I encourage anyone who can to donate to Planned Parenthood: https://secure.ppaction.org/site/Donation2?df_id=3792&3792.donation=form1&autologin=true&s_src=SGKFundraisingND_0112_c3_e1N&JServSessionIdr004=c4rg98b607.app214a
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: Komen breast cancer group caves to religious pressure
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
Just another point in a long line of points to make next time one of the Christians here say, "why do you pick on us, what have we done to you?"

It's not enough that they control their flocks...they have to control the rest of us also.  The so called war on religion is a bunch of hogwash...maybe it should not be.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +580/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 06:49:44 PM »
This kind of thing annoys me to no end.  It's like, "oh, it's an abortion clinic, we must kill it!" and they end up doing much more harm than good because they ignore all the other services that places like Planned Parenthood provide.  And the worst part is that their foolish actions will ultimately increase the number of women who die from having abortions due to unsafe conditions.

They don't care about any of that.  All they care about is ending the "holocaust" of abortion, never mind that the planet can't support the kind of uncontrolled population expansion that is the likely end result of what they're trying to do.  I guess they think the Second Coming will be along any time now and thus the long-term consequences won't matter.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
Indeed, Jaime.  the idiots at Komen have also made sure that people will likely have cancer and not get a chance to have it diagnosed and treated in time.  PP goes into places that are underserved for all types of women's health issues. 

It's this type of cowardice on the part of supposedly concerned organizations and the control of religious groups that makes me as agressive as I am.  So many religious groups are constantly shown to be never satisfied with just keeping their religion to themselves.  They always try to force themselves into everyone's lives and they have to be beaten back at every turn.  IMO, religion is a like a cancer that must continue to grow and will take ever opportunity to do so even if it destroys the culture that allows it to exist.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
I am speechless with rage. Perhaps because I'm a breast cancer survivor, it especially angers me to see these groups cave to idiocy. I remember some other breast cancer patients and survivors had some issues with Komen, but I never really heard what they were. And the American Cancer Society? Shame on them for supporting this kind of crap. They helped me (many free services) during my treatments, so I'd like to support them. Sigh. We already donate regularly to Planned Parenthood, but if we ever get out from under our own health bills and vet bills I'll raise the ante.

Unbelievable.  >:(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »
I am speechless with rage.
<snip>
And the American Cancer Society? Shame on them for supporting this kind of crap.

Unbelievable.  >:(

Agreed. (Snipped the stuff that doesn't apply to me)
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
This kind of thing annoys me to no end.  It's like, "oh, it's an abortion clinic, we must kill it!" and they end up doing much more harm than good because they ignore all the other services that places like Planned Parenthood provide.  And the worst part is that their foolish actions will ultimately increase the number of women who die from having abortions due to unsafe conditions.

They don't care about any of that.  All they care about is ending the "holocaust" of abortion, never mind that the planet can't support the kind of uncontrolled population expansion that is the likely end result of what they're trying to do.  I guess they think the Second Coming will be along any time now and thus the long-term consequences won't matter.

This nailed it, sadly.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 08:35:26 PM »
I spoke with a friend of mine today. She, too, is a breast cancer survivor. Stage 3, very serious. She was very poor at the time of her diagnosis, and her cancer was found during a screening mammogram through PP. Without that mammogram, she'd likely be dead. I was already pissed, but this really tips me over the edge. A mammogram found my cancer as well, and I was stage 2. I was fortunate that I could afford to fund my own test. Without screening mammograms available for folks without money, they will likely find out about their disease too late. Gah!!! This level of ignorance is utterly baffling to me. Planned Parenthood does so much good for our young women, in so very many ways. Can you just see it? They're so against abortion, calling it murder, but they'll be essentially murdering existing women with cancer. I don't know if I'm being too alarmist, but that's how it feels to me.

My mother and I are both quite strapped for money these days, but Planned Parenthood (which is already a group we support) will be getting more money when we can afford it.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »
You are just looking at it wrong. That is why it is hard to make sense out of it.  Remember, Republicans are only concerned with life from conception to birth.  After that you are on your own and don't leach off of the system.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +119/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:51:27 AM »
You are just looking at it wrong. That is why it is hard to make sense out of it.  Remember, Republicans are only concerned with life from conception to birth.  After that you are on your own and don't leach off of the system.

To be honest this is perfectly consistent with all their other views, I'm only surprised it took this long.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:29:43 AM »
Komen does good work, but they have some strong connections to the repubs.  Their founder - Nancy Brinker[1] - is a big time repub donor and friend of the Bush family.  They also just hired a VP who ran as the repub candidate for governor of Georgia - Karen Handel.  According to NPR, Komen has taken some weird stances in the past. For example, they fought to continue using a drug that was shown to be effective. They also fought for increased frequency of mamograms even after it was shown to be ineffective or lead to unnecessary treatment.

It's a weird organization.  I've donated to them in the past, but I don't think I am going to this year.
 1. rhymes with "stinker"
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »
I don't know if I'm being too alarmist, but that's how it feels to me.
not at all too alarmist, that's *exactly* what's going to happen.   and excellent image, MadBunny.

No "good work"from Komen and their convenient legislation just like ACS's convenient change in rules, is worth their intentional harm.  I wonder if Komen was against the drug since it wasn't from the "right" member of the pharma community.  Why not pander to someone else too?

other cancer charities that seem to actually care about people rather than pandering:

http://www.cancercare.org/
http://www.cancerresearch.org/
http://www.bcrfcure.org/index.html

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:23:08 PM »
Good point by the Rude Pundit.
Even if you are viscerally anti-choice, wanting to defund Planned Parenthood for performing abortions is like wanting to defund the entire military because of waterboarding. And it's ultimately, obviously self-defeating: if your goal is to reduce the number of abortions, then you want Planned Parenthood operational and fully-funded because, see, Planned Parenthood has prevented more abortions than every anti-choice group ever.
http://rudepundit.blogspot.com/2012/02/our-unending-abortion-war-history-of.html

duh.  Why have I never thought of it that way?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 07:41:51 PM »
A further development...
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/02/top-susan-g-komen-official-resigned-over-planned-parenthood-cave-in/252405/

One of Komen's top people is resigning over this capitulation. Are the directors of this organization really so cowardly and short-sighted? Do they think they can appease the anti-choice zealots this way? Once you give Danegeld, you never get rid of the Dane...

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »
Mayor Bloomberg is standing with PP too:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/02/politics/planned-parenthood-bloomberg/index.html

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced that he is giving a $250,000 matching gift to the Planned Parenthood Federation of America to help make up for the loss of funding announced Tuesday by the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation, his office said Thursday.

"Politics have no place in health care," the mayor said in a statement. "Breast cancer screening saves lives, and hundreds of thousands of women rely on Planned Parenthood for access to care. We should be helping women access that care, not placing barriers in their way."

and exactly right, wright  ;D

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
Hooray for Bloomberg!  :)  In this right wing religious environment, it's a bold move, and gives me hope for America.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20120203/US.Planned.Parenthood.Komen/?cid=hero_media

Komen drops plan to cut Planned Parenthood grants

After three days of controversy, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure breast-cancer charity says it is reversing its decision to cut breast-screening grants to Planned Parenthood.

"We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women's lives," a Komen statement said.

As first reported by The Associated Press on Tuesday, Komen had adopted criteria excluding Planned Parenthood from grants because it was under government investigation, notably a probe launched in Congress at the urging of anti-abortion groups.

Komen said Friday it would change the criteria so it wouldn't apply to such investigations.

"We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants," the statement said.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20120203/US.Planned.Parenthood.Komen/?cid=hero_media

Komen drops plan to cut Planned Parenthood grants

Sanity and human rights prevail after all. It's a sad comment on US policy that this is noteworthy, but it's still worth celebrating. And I'm very happy to be wrong about Komen caving in to the fundies.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 12:49:37 PM »
Yes, I thought it appeared too easy also.  They must have got a lot of pressure or are regrouping and coming at it from another angle.

Saw today where another group (million moms or some sh*t like that) is after JC Penny for having Ellen as their spokeperson for their new store development.  Ellen had enough star power to have Penny say get lost to the moms group.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 01:26:38 PM »
I'm guessing that their little pink ribbon empire was suffering too much with the negative publicity, and this has nothing to do with concern for women.  They knew the congressional investigation was pure nonsense but went ahead anyway. I'm guessing thought everyone would buy that they had a "legitimate" reason to throw PP under the bus.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 02:09:32 PM »
I'm guessing that their little pink ribbon empire was suffering too much with the negative publicity, and this has nothing to do with concern for women.  They knew the congressional investigation was pure nonsense but went ahead anyway. I'm guessing thought everyone would buy that they had a "legitimate" reason to throw PP under the bus.

Sadly, I think you're probably right. Welcome to the Age of Transparency, Komen board of directors...

"little pink ribbon empire"; love it!  :laugh:

--Marcus Aurelius

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 03:21:55 PM »
jsut saw that the Komen foundation has also pulled stem cell research funding. Got it straight from the anti-choice mouth: http://www.lifenews.com/2012/02/01/komen-also-stops-funding-embryonic-stem-cell-research-centers/

seems that they totally intended to try to pull the fundign from PP for the exact reasons everyone thought, even the theocrats agree. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 04:09:54 PM »
Yeah. On the news they're soft-pedaling it, and trying to make it out that its because of questions around the investigation that government money is going to fund abortions, but this latest emphasizes that this is an unlikely reason. Sigh.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 12:54:07 PM »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »
well, that shows us that according to her, everyone knew what they were doing and why.  They were afraid afraid of how they would be "perceived" and that was the bottom line. 

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 03:57:05 PM »
Which means whatshername, Stinker, was lying when she said Handel had nothing to do with the decision.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials