Author Topic: I think you guys need to see this creation vs evolution thread. bonus noahs ark  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
wow I stumbled upon this gem.  I read the first few pages and wanted to reach through my monitor and shake them. what is wrong with you???? haha

If some of you guys are members on that board I would love to see you pounce on them.  They are trying to argue that Noah's ark is plausible and creation is backed up by science more than evolution.  Like I said I only read the first three pages.  Maybe later they got a big smackdown.  but anyway if you are bored.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/evolution-vs-creationism/127410-creationists-what-prevents-you-accepting-toe.html

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Wow, such ignorance on what I see as basics: what evolution really is, geological processes, how genetics works... Scary that people are so ignorant, even allowing for some of those commenting to be elementary or high school age.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
  • Nobody can divide by zero
hmm.......

here's one point of veiw.....
sorry if I offend anyone for being right . lol
PLEASE DON'T JUST SHUN THIS, watch it all if your going to down it!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:31:52 PM by cowpar2 »
WHAT??!!??  A DARWIN??!!??
How could this be...?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
1 hour and 55 minutes? I have better things to do. Just write down those 100 reasons. I assure you they're all BS.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
lol, u didn't watch it so u don't knnow if it's bs
if u REALLY want to know the truth (or in your case, better understanding of lies)
then you'd watch it....
but atheists have always been lazy....
that's why they don't believe in a god, cuz if there was one
then they'd be responsible for their actions
(that's in there)
How could this be...?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
if u REALLY want to know the truth (or in your case, better understanding of lies)
then you'd watch it....

Or, since I've heard just about every argument I can imagine from creationists, all of which failed miserably, I don't want to waste my time with more lies from them.
And evolution IS true. We have proven that ad nauseam.

I am lazy, but that has nothing to do with my atheism.

(that's in there)

Yes, of course. We didn't want to be responsible for our actions, so we stopped believing, despite the fact that belief is not something a person can choose to do.
We should be like theists, who give up all responsibility and chalk it up to their god's mysterious ways.
...Wait a second.

I suggest you stop posting until you have learned about evolution, the scientific method and atheism. Or just stop posting altogether. I have a feeling we won't miss out on much, if anything at all.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
then you'd watch it....
(that's in there)

You're new here, so get to know us before you slam us.  Now, the man in that video is a well known creationist nut job.  Watching him talk about evolution would be like watching the Pope talk about computer network switches and Cisco routers.  It is absolutely pointless.

Now, if you have anything intelligent to say about evolution, say it.  But don't roll into a forum and post a 2 hour video from a well known crack pot and call us down for refusing to watch it.

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
Right, atheists are lazy for sure.

I mean, everybody can hear those lazy atheists saying "Let's do science and find out what REALLY goes on in this world." On the other hand we should all be thankful there are hard working theists around who say "Who needs science? Everything we have to know is in this story written 3000 years ago by bronze age goat herders in the desert."

Actually, we ARE responsible for our actions.

We don't believe in God or in the devil. What we do on this earth is our responsibility and if we do wrong, the we have to try and make it right.
The ones running from their responsibility are the believers. When was the last time you heard an atheist say "The devil made me do it" to excuse something they have done?

It's the believers who choose the easy way out by believing whatever they do, their imaginary friend forgives them.

Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
hmm.......

sorry if I offend anyone for being right . lol
PLEASE DON'T JUST SHUN THIS, watch it all if your going to down it!

cowpar2, are you serious? This is Kent Hovind, preaching. Many of the atheist regulars here, including me, sat through a lot of sermons before losing our faith. A few of us may well have given sermons. Not many (I'll go out on a limb here) are inclined to sit through one more for two hours...

If you have specific questions about the points he makes in that two hours, then ask and I'll do my best to answer them. There are also others here who are far more knowledgeable about evolution and biology in general; they may chime in.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
I would love to argue....
but I do not argue with someone with a lack of knowledge,
I teach them instead...
which is something this vid would do
How could this be...?

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
This biologist is just being lazy, he obviously should just watch that video and quite mans quest for truth go to church every sunday and do nothing instead while proclaiming to know everything.

Today's article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120202151131.htm
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
I teach them instead...

No, it won't.  And you are not going to come into this forum and start preaching and belittling the members.  Have you read the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
Have you read the forum rules you agreed to when you signed up?

He's a christian. Surely you've heard that analogy/joke comparing the Bible to a license agreement?
We choose our own gods.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
I teach them instead...

You need to make your own arguments. At the very least, summarize Hovind's key points and post them so they can be responded to.

As others have said, we've already heard a lot of creationist claims and lies on this forum. This makes us disinclined to listen to what is more than likely just more of the same.

And you should really drop the smug tone; it's not helping to make us receptive.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
I teach them instead...
Cowpar2, this is a discussion board. This is not a forum for people to preach.

If you think you have a point to make and "knowledge to teach," then you will have to do so in discussion and not by simply dropping a video (an almost 2 hour long video by a known fraud, to be precise) in a thread and saying "Hey, you all don't know what you're talking about. I'm right, you're wrong. Watch this."

If you want to show your argument, then do so in your own words. Just dropping a video in here is both lazy and rather impolite.
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
look, I'm not making easy for you, but your not making it easy for me...
I'm sorry you are offended by my message, but your is just as offending.
didn't you ever think of that?
theists have just as much feelings as atheists..
sorry for taking so long to post, but I was reading this
" Today's article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120202151131.htm "
and found that this aticle tells us that they found variations in God's creations
the animals discussed turned into no new species, or kinds, therefore is no proof that the bible is wrong.
(if the animals can't interbreed and make offspring that can reproduce than they are different kinds.)
How could this be...?

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
look, I'm not making easy for you, but your not making it easy for me...
I'm sorry you are offended by my message, but your is just as offending.
didn't you ever think of that?
theists have just as much feelings as atheists..
sorry for taking so long to post, but I was reading this
" Today's article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120202151131.htm "
and found that this aticle tells us that they found variations in God's creations
the animals discussed turned into no new species, or kinds, therefore is no proof that the bible is wrong.
(if the animals can't interbreed and make offspring that can reproduce than they are different kinds.)

No, you are rambling and not even attempting to have a discussion.  No one is offended by you, or the silly video you think we should watch.  If you are here to discuss evolution, then start doing that, using your own words, and supporting your words with evidence.  Posting a link to a 2 hour video from a known creationist nut job is not going to impress anyone here.

If you have some other agenda, just say it now so we can get this over with.

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
everybody thinks they're right...
but is everybody?
no
but does that mean we have to argue?
no!
I admit I was wrong for "dropping" that vid there without at least explaining myseslf....
I also admit that It was pretty "lazy" of me....
and I hope you can forgive me of that....
but I will never say sorry for telling the truth!
How could this be...?

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23

1. You have yet to show that you have truth in anyway.

2.More importantly, are you allergic to capitol letters and proper paragraph structure?
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
no!

Considering that your side is constantly murdering innocent people and trying to subject the rest to what is basically slavery[1], yes we do. Or we can just start killing and repressing you, as you have done and are still doing to us and each other. Which do you prefer?
 1. No freedoms whatsoever; worship our god the way we say or die.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
everybody thinks they're right...
but is everybody?
no
no!
I admit I was wrong for "dropping" that vid there without at least explaining myseslf....
I also admit that It was pretty "lazy" of me....
and I hope you can forgive me of that....

Is English your first language?  If not, we can work with you if you ant to discuss evolution.

Do you know anything about the theory of evolution, what it states, and how it works as a theory?  If so, give us a summary, so we have a starting point. 

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
Look,
I admitted when I was wrong, and said a lot of incorrect things,
but, uh....
killing? repressing? really?
No, I am not "allergic" to capital letters, this is only my first time posting on a forum, lol.
Can't you respect my effort?
I respect yours! (in my previous post, I read the link you posted before I replied)
I did not just shun It away saying "oh it's just more evolution crud"
Plus, quit being so nit-picky about how I write my sentences.
How could this be...?

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
My summary of evolution
"A singularity point of matter exploded and created the universe.
This created gasses, which created minerals, eventual evolving into planets, stars, etc.
Earth was just a normal planet with molten lava on it's surface, (this is debated, but) and a water planet crashed into earth and cooled the planet for billions of years. One day, life evolved by means of lightning striking the sea, and this life evolved and evolved until it eventually became man."
A good enough understanding??
How could this be...?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37

Yes, really. "Witch" burnings in Nigeria, atheists receiving death threats for upholding their country's law, some even being killed because their country's law does not recognize atheism and, in fact, punishes people for being atheists, slowing down the progress of science in virtually every field... This isn't old news. All of this is happening right now and has happened since religion was invented.

My summary of evolution
This created gasses, which created minerals, eventual evolving into planets, stars, etc.
Earth was just a normal planet with molten lava on it's surface, (this is debated, but) and a water planet crashed into earth and cooled the planet for billions of years. One day, life evolved by means of lightning striking the sea, and this life evolved and evolved until it eventually became man."

A very poor understanding and utterly false.
Evolution: A change in a population's genetic makeup[1]. What you just did is a common creationist mistake/lie, which is mix the Big Bang, abiogenesis and evolution into one.
 1. This is the simplistic version
We choose our own gods.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
My summary of evolution

This is a common misunderstanding and mixing of different theories.  Here is a basic idea:

Life started, somehow.  Science does not yet have an answer on that.  It is a science called abiogenesis (how did life on earth get started)

Now, we know there is life on earth.  And the theory of evolution is the study and explanation of how life on earth is changing, and how new species have come into existence over time.  The theory attempts to explain how life evolves (changes).  It states that early life forms were very simple, and over time, they evolved into more complex life forms, in all sorts of ways.  Also, the simplest life forms are still around.  So it is important to recognize that while life does evolve into more complex forms, there are species of life that remain simple.

Does this make sense?

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
ahem....
What I described was 5 of the 6 major forms of evolution....
You were not specific so I gave you all of it rolled in one
cosmic, stellar, chemical, organic, and macro evolution....
This is what is being taught to children in schools,
if you do not agree with this idea, talk to you school board.
How could this be...?

Offline cowpar2

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-10
I do believe in a form evolution, this is the sixth, and the only observed, form of evolution.
It states that an organism will adapt to it's environment in order to survive.
How could this be...?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
I do believe in a form evolution, this is the sixth, and the only observed, form of evolution.

Strange how that standard doesn't apply to your deity...

It states that an organism will adapt to it's environment in order to survive.

And this is still wrong. Individuals can't change their DNA. Entire populations adapt over long (compared to our lifespans) periods of time through various processes.
We choose our own gods.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
Look,
I admitted when I was wrong, and said a lot of incorrect things,
but, uh....
No, I am not "allergic" to capital letters, this is only my first time posting on a forum, lol.
Can't you respect my effort?
I respect yours! (in my previous post, I read the link you posted before I replied)
I did not just shun It away saying "oh it's just more evolution crud"

Not too many of us would expect other atheists to watch a two-hour lecture on atheism in its entirety. The polite thing to do would be to summarize the key points the speaker is making and ask for responses. Or at least tell us where in the lecture those key points are so we can find them ourselves.

Plus, quit being so nit-picky about how I write my sentences.

It's not being picky to ask that you write clearly. It minimizes misunderstandings and keeps a discussion going more or less smoothly.
--Marcus Aurelius