Author Topic: I feel sorry for you guys over the pond  (Read 289 times)

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
I feel sorry for you guys over the pond
« on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »
that you have to deal with stuff like this:

We don't have so many absolute morons over here in the UK. Well actually I'm not that sure, but at least we don't let our whackos on TV as if they aren't f*cking crazy. Or let them express their opinions to the nation as if they have some kind of value or legitimacy. I mean seriously.. what is this??! Do you have to deal with this on a regular basis?
love and truth and love of truth

Online Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
Re: I feel sorry for you guys over the pond
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:09:06 AM »
That stuff I ignore[1]...completely. Doesn't bother me a bit. What I DO have to deal with is the dumb masses I encounter at any given time during the day who do watch this stuff and squawk like parrots about it for the next week or two like they are now some sort of authority on whatever the fuck they just watched.
 1. First time i've ever heard of PolitiChicks
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:08:27 AM »
Like jaybwell32, I can usually ignore it. I have a dear friend I've known since high school: one of the most loyal, generous people I've ever met, and a helluva good cook. He (along with my Harvard-educated, well-traveled father) is convinced that Rush Limbaugh is the greatest political commentator of our times, and that liberals have been deliberately screwing up this country since shortly after the American Revolution.

And he's furious about it; he literally can't talk about politics or social issues for more than a few minutes without starting to spit and get red in the face. He's the perfect Fox News demographic.

Enjoy your relative sanity over there, RNS. Keep the crazybushes well-trimmed.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:11:09 AM »
That stuff I ignore[1]...completely. Doesn't bother me a bit. What I DO have to deal with is the dumb masses I encounter at any given time during the day who do watch this stuff and squawk like parrots about it for the next week or two like they are now some sort of authority on whatever the f**k they just watched.

Damn, absolutely spot on.   

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »
That stuff I ignore[1]...completely. Doesn't bother me a bit. What I DO have to deal with is the dumb masses I encounter at any given time during the day who do watch this stuff and squawk like parrots about it for the next week or two like they are now some sort of authority on whatever the f**k they just watched.

It's the same way everywhere, from what I hear. People watch something and instantly become experts on the matter. One of my friends even complained that her friend was trying to teach her about something she[2] told her about.
 2. My friend.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:26:45 AM »

It's the same way everywhere, from what I hear. People watch something and instantly become experts on the matter. One of my friends even complained that her friend was trying to teach her about something she[2] told her about.
 2. My friend.

I'm teaching someone to surf (boogieboard)(near enough as we speak  ;))   I like him, he's a good bloke, so I am happy to introduce someone whom I like to an addiction I love....
He's benefitting from my lifetimes accrued knowledge, all the self taught basics, and decades of fanatical pursuit (true labour of love)
  reading weather maps/synoptics swell formation and direction, coastline wave shadows, wave refraction, wind direction preferences, tidal effects, rips, etc etc etc etc   not to forget the actual act of getting out into the water once you find the waves....

The very second session out in childishly small (almost embarrassing)  but fun waves, he starts calling me onto waves (I kid you not),   in essence he assumed the authority (because he's starting feeling secure >unthreatened< in the v. tiny waves I have hunted down for him and taken us out into) to direct me on which waves to catch.

My 40 years experience immediately subsumed by his two day old Max Dunning Kruger arrogance (Oh did I mention he's a recent visitor from a teutonic landlocked mittel european country who has spent little to zero time in real ocean).

AAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHH!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:28:18 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:31:36 AM »
Are we sure Victoria Jackson is not a Poe? There's something so...over-the-top-steroetypical in her character as to suggest parody. I've actually even been googling some things on her, and the word "Kaufmanesque" crops up here and there. It's hard to believe that someone who played similar characters as comedy on SNL is not poking fun of those who take her seriously.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
Are we sure Victoria Jackson is not a Poe? There's something so...over-the-top-steroetypical in her character as to suggest parody. I've actually even been googling some things on her, and the word "Kaufmanesque" crops up here and there. It's hard to believe that someone who played similar characters as comedy on SNL is not poking fun of those who take her seriously.

I'm been on the fence about this for quite awhile. Unlike Steven Colbert...who knows how to let us know it is a parody without breaking character, Victoria Jackson is a perfect example of the very concept of what 'the Poe' represents:

A completely irrational viewpoint and a parody of a completely irrational viewpoint are indistinguishable
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.