Author Topic: To be or not to be homosexual ....making the correct choice for you  (Read 3970 times)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Trawling the web, reading the staggering number of numbnut mouthbreathers who seem to actually believe homosexuality is a "choice" finally got me asking.....

If homosexuality is a "choice",
where are thousands/millions of people who chose it, lived it, realised they'd made a mistake and now speak out (from personal experience) on how careful you have to be when making that choice?
Of course one must also ask, where are all the pro-choice pundits, who chose and are happy with the choice, and are out there selling "the best choice I ever made...."

Where are all the community centre advice pamphlets  "to be or not to be?"

Where are the government sponsored "recovering addicts" funds, for those who know better, but cannot help but toy with bad choices?

Where are all the many many social indicators that would exist if this fucking lie had the slightest minuscule merit.

What a pissweak frightened laughably manipulable world.

Fuck your heteronormativity.

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: To be or not to be homosexual ....making the correct choice for you
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:30:19 AM »
Even if it was a choice (which it obviously isn't; I don't remember anyone choosing to like something), so what? I don't understand what their problem with free will is. NVM. I just remembered. Theists.

If you believe in god you are by definition a puppet.

"If I can't have free will, no one can!"
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »
Even if it was a choice (which it obviously isn't; I don't remember anyone choosing to like something), so what? I don't understand what their problem with free will is. NVM. I just remembered. Theists.

If you believe in god you are by definition a puppet.

"If I can't have free will, no one can!"

Yes Luci 

my fears must be your fears
my sexuality must be your sexuality
my god must be your god
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:53:29 PM »
http://justjared.buzznet.com/2012/01/24/cynthia-nixon-being-gay-was-a-choice-for-me/

thousands/millions of people who chose it, lived it, realised they'd made a mistake and now speak out (from personal experience) on how careful you have to be when making that choice?
Of course one must also ask, where are all the pro-choice pundits, who chose and are happy with the choice, and are out there selling "the best choice I ever made...."

my bold

bloody hell screwtape you are going to wear yourself out posting the thousands/millions of examples, one at a  time.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:55:41 PM by kin hell »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »
OK, lets do an experiment.  We will draw straws and the short straw has to choose to be gay so we can see if it works.  I'd like to also choose to have an IQ of 155.  Lets see if that works?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »
For the record, I don't think it's a choice for any homosexual other than Cynthia Nixon[1].  And I'm not trying to make any point with that article.  I just saw the headline last night and thought I'd post it because it is related and kinda weird.
 1. and I find her claim dubious, but I figure she knows her own mind better than I
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:54:19 PM »
She probably defines sexual orientation as "Whoever I'm romantically involved with at the time". It's not the first time I've seen it.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
Truth OT defines it in the same way, no?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »
OK, lets do an experiment.  We will draw straws and the short straw has to choose to be gay so we can see if it works.  I'd like to also choose to have an IQ of 155.  Lets see if that works?

yeah Nick your homophobia is showing (otherwise why would you assume that " those drawing the short straw" would have to be teh gays)  ;)

For the record, I don't think it's a choice for any homosexual other than Cynthia Nixon[1].  And I'm not trying to make any point with that article.  I just saw the headline last night and thought I'd post it because it is related and kinda weird.
 1. and I find her claim dubious, but I figure she knows her own mind better than I

Sorry screwt on re-read I realise my lack of emoticons left entirely the wrong message....

I meant to highlight the evidential "exception to the rule" and how even with the best intent we must work hard to only find the very isolated "kinda weird"...

And it is weird, and the worst of it is having to acknowledge (as you say) "she knows her own mind better than I" otherwise I'd be very tempted to dispute her claim, and suggest that she is bi-sexual and can thus apparently change camp (yes I used that:D) at will.
+ what Luci said...

Azd   I've missed where Truth OT said this?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »

Ask and ye shall receive:[1]
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,20850.0.html
 1. Makes it sound all godly, except then if it was then it wouldn't actually happen.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

Ask and ye shall receive:[1]
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,20850.0.html
 1. Makes it sound all godly, except then if it was then it wouldn't actually happen.

thanks mate 

I cannot actually remember reading that thread before.... but for all I know my subconscious dislike of that thread's OP's position  was a latent ;) trigger to this thread

I'll get back to it for a full read, but I think the pertinent point was made in the very first reply it attracted(yours btw)

As I understand it, "born gay" refers to whether someone will end up mainly being sexually attracted to the same gender, or to the opposite gender.  The point being that it is not a deliberate choice to like one gender over the other.

If you disagree, then when did you make the conscious choice to start being attracted to the gender that you like?
my bold

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
Sorry screwt on re-read I realise my lack of emoticons left entirely the wrong message....

I meant to highlight the evidential "exception to the rule" and how even with the best intent we must work hard to only find the very isolated "kinda weird"...

Apologies not needed, though I appreciate that they were offered.  I was not offended or put off.  I left a link without explanation for all and sundry to interpret as they would.  It was improbable that anyone would grasp my intended point.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline NonReligious

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
So, when do heterosexuals choose to be heterosexual?  :o I must have missed that part.

If homosexuality is a choice, then so is heterosexuality as well.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »
So, when do heterosexuals choose to be heterosexual?  :o I must have missed that part.

You know how memory is. Heterosexuals (as well as homosexuals, bisexuals and asexuals) just don't remember choosing their sexual orientation.
We choose our own gods.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
Any child who is born with both male and female reproductive organs pretty much stomps on the "homosexuality being a choice" argument. Any idiot who keeps babbling their bullshit after being presented with the existence of intersex individuals deserves to be slapped to death.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 06:47:30 AM »
I was scanning through radio stations recently and ended up briefly listening to some right-wing conservative talk show. The host was interviewing a local pastor about preaching against homosexuality. The pastor quoted some stats about gays being more likely to attempt suicide and/or use drugs, and said he would hope that anyone who cared about him would show him the error of his ways if he were to "choose" such a "lifestyle."

Mr. Pastor, did you ever consider that homosexuals are more prone to suicide or drug use because they are so condemned by assholes like you? I cannot believe that many people would subject themselves to such scrutiny and ridicule by "choice." The fact is that, regardless of whether or not homosexuality is a choice (and I don't think it is), what consenting adults do in private doesn't adversely affect me or anyone else in any way. The only reason anyone condemns homosexuality is because their religion tells them to.

It is an absolute shame that so many Christians choose to ignore the Golden Rule on this.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 07:07:46 AM »
It is an absolute shame that so many Christians choose to ignore the Golden Rule on this.

If they don't cherry pick, they'll realize that most of the Bible contradicts itself.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »
I guess that ultra conservative sheriff out in Arizona who was Romney's campaign chairman and who is running for office himself should not have chosen to be gay with an illegal immigrant.  Would have made his job a little easier.  Seems like a strange choice he made.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 08:46:27 AM »
I guess that ultra conservative sheriff out in Arizona who was Romney's campaign chairman and who is running for office himself should not have chosen to be gay with an illegal immigrant.  Would have made his job a little easier.  Seems like a strange choice he made.

It's people like him who make me think that the whole "I act as if homosexuals disgust me because I'm actually closeted and don't want anyone to find out about it" stereotype is true.
We choose our own gods.

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 09:43:25 AM »

It's people like him who make me think that the whole "I act as if homosexuals disgust me because I'm actually closeted and don't want anyone to find out about it" stereotype is true.

The ultra-conservative seem to find themselves in such compromising positions with amusing regularity. Of all types of people in this world, I'd say a hypocrite is the most infuriating. They doth protest too much, methinks.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
The ultra-conservative seem to find themselves in such compromising positions with amusing regularity.

It would be more amusing if they just admitted to themselves and others that they were homosexual/bisexual. Yet they keep denying it, even if they're caught literally asking for it. What they do now is more frustrating than amusing, IMO.

Of all types of people in this world, I'd say a hypocrite is the most infuriating.

Probably true.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 10:44:34 PM »
True story-

This evening as I was putting my 5 year old to bed, she said "Mommy, you are the only one I want to kiss.  Ever." 

I paused, and asked her if she wanted to kiss her uncle and her aunt and the 83 year old neighbor who is so good to her, and various other people, and she agreed that she likes kissing those people.

I then said that someday, when she is really grown up, maybe she will have a boyfriend or a girlfriend who she wants to kiss.  And she said "EWWWWWWWW!!!!!"  and "YUCK" and made all sorts of contorted faces. 

And then she declared "I WILL NEVER EVER EVER KISS A BOY!"

I went and got my phone and turned it on video and asked her to say it again, and she was even more animated and emphatic when she knew she was being recorded. 

So I've got it on video.  I kind of suspect the kid is going to be heterosexual.  And if she is, on the night of her first school dance, I will show that video to her date.  And her Jr Prom date.  And her Sr. Prom date.  And I will taunt my sweet little girl with this video for years to come. 

I probably won't.  But it is fun to think about.

But if it turns out she is a lesbian, I'll be able to say she knew it at a very young age. 

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 10:51:40 PM »
True story-

This evening as I was putting my 5 year old to bed, she said "Mommy, you are the only one I want to kiss.  Ever." 

I paused, and asked her if she wanted to kiss her uncle and her aunt and the 83 year old neighbor who is so good to her, and various other people, and she agreed that she likes kissing those people.

I then said that someday, when she is really grown up, maybe she will have a boyfriend or a girlfriend who she wants to kiss.  And she said "EWWWWWWWW!!!!!"  and "YUCK" and made all sorts of contorted faces. 

And then she declared "I WILL NEVER EVER EVER KISS A BOY!"

>snip<

But if it turns out she is a lesbian, I'll be able to say she knew it at a very young age.

In keeping with the fundamental accuracies indicated in the OP, if the wind changed direction while she was making that "incantation" she's definitely going to grow up as a lesbian

.....the saving grace of course being that even if she is a lesbian, she can choose not to be............ &)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 10:58:58 PM »
Thank you for reminding me of the fundamental accuracies indicated in the OP.

And most of all, thank you for reminding me of the saving grace.  I'll bring that up during storytime tomorrow night. 

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
The ultra-conservative seem to find themselves in such compromising positions with amusing regularity.

My bet is there is a reason for this. You frequently hear from ultra-conservatives that homosexuality is a choice and that people can be indoctrinated into that lifestyle. My guess is that they believe this because the are in fact homo/bisexual. After all, iif Satan can temp a God fearing individual such as themself, wham chance does little Johnny have against the gay agenda. It seems like little more than a coping mechanism to reconcile their sexual attraction with their fundamentalist beliefs.
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 11:50:51 PM »
I have a feeling that the "You've got a choice" point of view comes from those who indeed have homosexual tendencies and noticed it and were too scared to go that route and stayed straight. I'm guessing that works about 3% of the time. The rest go the Ted Haggard route.  (I'm straight but the first time I saw that guy on TV I said "that guy is gay!", even without working gaydar.)  Anyway, that makes it a choice.

It has been shown via studies that men who self-identify as anti-gay are more turned on by gay male porn than those who are not anti-gay. So they have to choose which kind of porn to watch on the net too.

Life is rough, isn't it.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »

My bet is there is a reason for this. You frequently hear from ultra-conservatives that homosexuality is a choice and that people can be indoctrinated into that lifestyle. My guess is that they believe this because the are in fact homo/bisexual. After all, iif Satan can temp a God fearing individual such as themself, wham chance does little Johnny have against the gay agenda. It seems like little more than a coping mechanism to reconcile their sexual attraction with their fundamentalist beliefs.

This is a very interesting perspective on the matter that I had not previously considered. Could be some truth in there. If they truly believe they are being tempted by the devil and this misguided belief[1] compels them to speak out against homosexuality, maybe they are not as hypocritical as they appear. Still ignorant jackasses, however.
 1. it could be argued that most or all beliefs are misguided

Think for yourself.

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 10:53:50 AM »
Damn, my earlier post was fraught with typos. I should stop trying to fat finger my phone while laying in bed[1].

Anyways yeah, I imagine when you truly believe that homosexuality is unnatural, yet you feel attracted to the same sex, you have to reconcile that in some way. If you feel that way and you know you're straight[2] then everyone must have this same struggle[3]. Enter silly notions about sexuality being a choice, homosexual indoctrination, demonic temptation, etc. etc. Your conviction that there is some evil force attempting to spread homosexuality would be even stronger than your convictions with regard to "lesser" sins like theft and murder, since you don't feel the "pull of Satan" tempting you to steal or kill. It's the same thing that happens when sex obsessed individuals take up the charge that sexuality in general is a sinful, dirty thing that must be avoided at all costs.

Back when I was an unthinking fundie who was dead set against homosexuality I never felt threatened by the so called "gay agenda" because I've never been attracted to men.
 1. I assure you it was consensual
 2. Bwhahaha
 3. Keep telling yourself that buddy
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind