Author Topic: Secular Student Society Advertisement  (Read 1809 times)

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Secular Student Society Advertisement
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 10:10:31 PM »
Edit: original comment deleted for off topic content.

I think a good poster would be something akin to a great line I've read on here, ridiculing the xian viewpoint. Paraphrasing- "god sacrificed himself to himself because a mud man and rib woman were duped by a talking snake to violate the perfect god's rules?"

Yes, there is a  much better version here somewhere....sorry i can't do it justice. But the premise remains...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:23:35 PM by Dante »
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 11:29:25 PM »
This guy is too much.

Bottom line fellas, it has nothing to do with what the Romans believed (whether they were atheists or not, justifying their killing of believers) or who started burning books first, whether or not a fetus at a given stage is a human given constitutional rights; it depends on what you believe.  That Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God!, or that you're nothing more than a monkey's nephew, assured only of a certain death.  Really think about it.  That's all any of us can be sure of (minus paying taxes).

"yeah yeah, all that shit doesn't matter, I was just getting all worked up about it and making all those posts about it earlier for precisely that reason- It doesn't matter! What really matters is if you want a million dollars or a trip to Brussels. I mean come on... really think about it.. what would you rather have? A million dollars or a trip to Brussels?! You guys blow my mind! If you can't be sure of something then take the million dollars! DHOYYYY"

I concede these are not entirely accurate analogies, but I think I captured the general sense of absurdity and fatuousness.. IMO
love and truth and love of truth

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 02:42:28 AM »

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 03:59:44 AM »
How about a venn diagram, with govt on one side, religions on the other, and a big red X in between them, symbolizing that govt and religion are not to be mixed.

Classic red "A"

the FSM?

These if you want something simple and to the point...

Pic of an amputee..."Why Wont God Heal Amputees?"

this if you want to help get more theists here.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Lurking

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm way too old to be a student
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 04:11:03 AM »
Well, your side shoved poles up Christian asses,....
Any reference for this?
... dipped them in oil, and used them as human torches (Roman parties).
I think that you are not trying to tell untruths. The Romans were not atheists before they officially accepted Christianity. They were theists. They had gods. Why do you tell untruths about it? 
Cut out fetuses from Christian women in the arena.
The Romans were theists. Not atheists. Your side, not ours.
So who started book burnings??
You tell us. With references, please.
So is it who started it then?  Did you guys when you nailed Jesus to the Cross?
If you refer to the Romans, they weren't atheists. According to your holy books, 2000 years before me. So, it’s not “our guys”, anyway. They were yours.
I always wondered about Obama's votes in the IL senate that would allow babies that survived a safe and legal abortion to die.  Put them in a cold stainless steel bed pan, just set them on the tile floor, or give them a bed and blanket and let them starve.  How do you think it should it be done?
Obama is a theist.
Sorry, probably subject for another thread, but I put who started book (idea) burning behind other issues as obviously put forth in this response.
You don't make sense.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:13:18 AM by Lurking »

Offline Swanny

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 11:01:58 AM »
Thank you for the help, guys. I have two different types of posters in mind, now. The original posters (Which do not all have to be the same, but I would rather not have them offensive. This allows us to to recruit a base following of passive atheists) and later posters (which would be more for encouraging debates and getting the more aggressive atheists who do not feel like going to passive meetings).

In the former category, I would like to have a picture with an attention grabbing caption. For pictures, I like either the brain with a lightbulb inside or a picture of Earth as seen from space. For the captions, I like:

You can be Good without God.
Atheist? So are we.
Ready to think outside the church?
Looking for answers that don't involve the supernatural?
(The atheist) A

For the latter posters, I like the amputee idea and the FSM one. I think that could provoke some discussion. :)

Sorry if I did not take up your suggestion, it was appreciated nonetheless. I am trying not to turn 95% of the school against us and reinforce the idea that atheists are always the bad guys. It is a fine line to walk (and admittedly extremely entertaining to do so).
The most basic fact of life is that there has to be a creator and to deny this no matter how many phd's u have mean you are still at the most elementary stage of true knowledge.

Offline Swanny

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 11:03:36 AM »
When in fact science shows a young earth.  Billions of observed mutations are deleterious.  None given to advancement.  And you guys avoid this; clinging to your own (atheist admitted) dogmatism of scientific belief!  It just blows my mind!

Also, I think you need to read more. I recommend Richard Dawkin's "The Greatest Show on Earth." There is quite a bit more evidence for something logical than you assume.
The most basic fact of life is that there has to be a creator and to deny this no matter how many phd's u have mean you are still at the most elementary stage of true knowledge.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:10 AM »
Azdgari, I don't understand your post, you have a huge plus for darwinists.
Anyway, since I didn't get into trouble for bringing this up before...
How should an infant that survives and abortion be allowed to die per Obama's desires?  Should it be given a warm crib?  Should it be thrown in the corner on a cold tile floor, a stainless steel bed pan? 

Love the concern for a fetus but golly, when a child needs these things, so many Christians whine that how dare they have to give welfare to these children.

And Jtp's other posts.  The usual lies of a Christian, the willful ignorance of how fossils are created, the lies about mutations,  random mentions of dark energy/dark matter,  etc etc.  It's a shame that Christians like jtp have no choice to rely on lies adn the pathetic repeating of them to have any faith at all.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 11:10:12 AM »
Love the concern for a fetus but golly, when a child needs these things, so many Christians whine that how dare they have to give welfare to these children.

A while back, some wag on the left -- I think it was Barney Frank, but I don't remember for sure -- said that the Religious Right is apparently under the impression that life begins at conception and ends at birth.  Truer words have never been spoken.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 11:32:28 AM »
Azdgari, I don't understand your post, you have a huge plus for darwinists.
Anyway, since I didn't get into trouble for bringing this up before...
How should an infant that survives and abortion be allowed to die per Obama's desires?  Should it be given a warm crib?  Should it be thrown in the corner on a cold tile floor, a stainless steel bed pan? 

And Jtp's other posts.  The usual lies of a Christian, the willful ignorance of how fossils are created, the lies about mutations,  random mentions of dark energy/dark matter,  etc etc.  It's a shame that Christians like jtp have no choice to rely on lies adn the pathetic repeating of them to have any faith at all.
Trying to reason with a Christian like this is like trying to teach physics to a cat.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »
In the former category, I would like to have a picture with an attention grabbing caption. For pictures, I like either the brain with a lightbulb inside or a picture of Earth as seen from space. For the captions, I like:

You can be Good without God.
Atheist? So are we.
(The atheist) A

What? Like this?

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Swanny

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
What? Like this?

:o
You made my day, Jaybwell.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
jtp56,

you have made preposterous, off topic claims that were shown to be wrong[1]. Rather than admit it and apologize, you made even more off topic, preposterous statements[2].  Then you engaged in preaching[3]

I find it incredibly rude that you hijacked the thread.  If you make any more posts in this thread not germane to the topic of the OP, I will delete them without warning. 

[/b]
 1. post # 6, about Romans
 2. posts #15 & 20 about Obama 
 3. post #22
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 01:28:55 PM »
Ah, found it in a personal stash. Unfortunately, I can't attribute it.   :(

And, while it may be divisive to an extent, the absurdity of the truthfullness has got to get some of the fence-sitters thinking, "WTF?" and may get them to engage their mind to learn more about the atheist position.

a Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »
I think that^ is from the urban dictionary entry for xianity.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
Funny, on a catholic answers forum someone posted that looking for how to answer it.  One genius saidit was wrong in many ways, and then pointed out how every bit of it is accurate:

http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?s=4377243f42db3757f3639d8c68a9e511&p=6236925&postcount=6
The statement is wrong in other ways:
Christianity is the belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie
- covered above
who was his own father
- true
can make you live forever
- whether united with God in heaven or separated from Him in hell and purgatory, the soul is immortal; also the body will be immortal after the resurrection of the body.
if you symbolically eat his flesh
- not (just) a symbol
and telepathically tell him
- So God is Professor X now?
you accept him as your master,
- true; but the actual key is baptism
so he can remove an evil force from your soul
- Not the way I'd describe it, but generally true
that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree
- True, but it's symbolic (IMO, and I'm free to think that).

dumbass fanboy.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Swanny

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:08 PM »
jtp56,

you have made preposterous, off topic claims that were shown to be wrong[1]. Rather than admit it and apologize, you made even more off topic, preposterous statements[2].  Then you engaged in preaching[3]

I find it incredibly rude that you hijacked the thread.  If you make any more posts in this thread not germane to the topic of the OP, I will delete them without warning.

1. post # 6, about Romans
 2. posts #15 & 20 about Obama 
 3. post #22

Many thanks.

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »
Funny, on a catholic answers forum someone posted that looking for how to answer it.  One genius saidit was wrong in many ways, and then pointed out how every bit of it is accurate:

http://forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?s=4377243f42db3757f3639d8c68a9e511&p=6236925&postcount=6
The statement is wrong in other ways:
Christianity is the belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie
- covered above
who was his own father
- true
can make you live forever
- whether united with God in heaven or separated from Him in hell and purgatory, the soul is immortal; also the body will be immortal after the resurrection of the body.
if you symbolically eat his flesh
- not (just) a symbol
and telepathically tell him
- So God is Professor X now?
you accept him as your master,
- true; but the actual key is baptism
so he can remove an evil force from your soul
- Not the way I'd describe it, but generally true
that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree
- True, but it's symbolic (IMO, and I'm free to think that).

dumbass fanboy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The guy admitted it was all true

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +238/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2012, 03:25:16 AM »
First of all, make it live!  If evolution is true, then the Bible is a Lie!  So advertise burning a stack of the lying Bible on a given day at a given time.  The poster "artwork" or picture could be an advertisement for the day of burning.....say, a Bible with a lit match below with the caption: "Join us and come out fellow Secularists!  We have come to this Lutheran College for a reason!"  and post the day and time of the Bible burning.

Bible burning is just stupid. I'm embarrassed for you.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 10:54:06 AM »
Ah, found it in a personal stash. Unfortunately, I can't attribute it.   :(

And, while it may be divisive to an extent, the absurdity of the truthfullness has got to get some of the fence-sitters thinking, "WTF?" and may get them to engage their mind to learn more about the atheist position.

a Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

looking for this  ;D

Offline Pounamu

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • formerly appeared as "Cadillac"
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 07:15:51 AM »
I don't think that the word "atheist" should be associated with something specific. On the contrary it should be explained to people, that atheism is associated with nothing specific. It's just a normal state of consciousness - that's all. What about the "Mom, I am an atheist" comic?

Piki ake, piki ake ki te ara poutama, ki nga taumatatanga e wairua, hinengaro, tinana!

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
THE SUPERNATURAL
(Mosaic patchwork of:  Closeup of the Sacred Heart w/o showing Jesus' face, Buddha's hand making a blessing, Roman eagle, Thor's hammer, Dianetics volcano, Voodoo dolly, vampire, Casper the Friendly Ghost, astrological symbol, chiropractic backbone diagram, 4 leaf clover, Sam or Dean Winchester, etc.  If it is not too Godwin[1], include a German Wehrmacht belt buckle with its eagle perched on a swastika and surrounded by GOTT MIT UNS.)

DOESN'T DO ANYTHING

1. Godwin's Law
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 08:04:27 AM by Historicity »

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
Hey guys rein it in a little bit. You have hijacked the thread.

The OP just wanted some input for a poster design.  It should be pretty obvious that some kind of in your face poster would not last long, would be met with anger and resentment.  The Florida Atheists group uses a simple view of the sky with some pleasing clouds. The text says; "Not a believer? You are not alone". then it lists a web address.  Even this mild one gets the fundies all flustered and ready to do a witch burning. 

An old saying purports that you can get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +585/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
I like these two, personally.

Offline Swanny

« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:41 PM »
Hey guys rein it in a little bit. You have hijacked the thread.

The OP just wanted some input for a poster design.  It should be pretty obvious that some kind of in your face poster would not last long, would be met with anger and resentment.  The Florida Atheists group uses a simple view of the sky with some pleasing clouds. The text says; "Not a believer? You are not alone". then it lists a web address.  Even this mild one gets the fundies all flustered and ready to do a witch burning. 

An old saying purports that you can get more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Sorry, I was on break from college and did not have my computer for a bit. I like this moderate idea. I must admit that the possibility of ruffling feathers by doing so little appeals to me. :D