Author Topic: Intelligent Design vs Evolution: The Board Game  (Read 566 times)

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
Intelligent Design vs Evolution: The Board Game
« on: January 24, 2012, 11:55:11 AM »
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28257/intelligent-design-vs-evolution

Looks like Comfort is at it again, this time producing a slick propaganda filled board game that puts anti-science arguments into a print that targets evangelical parents and their poor children.  From what I've seen in images and the two reviews below is that it doesn't actually contain anything except typical misquotes from scientist made by creationist and a plethora of bible verses.

http://freakingawesome.net/2012/01/09/intelligent-design-vs-evolution-the-board-game-an-analysis/

http://ncse.com/rncse/26/6/review-intelligent-design-vs-evolution
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +748/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Intelligent Design vs Evolution: The Board Game
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
I thought god didn't play dice...

I assume it's actually a bored game.

I'm imagining the excuses people will make when they loose. "Hey, you evolved! That's cheating!"

In the meantime, I'm pretty sure Chutes and Ladders is more accurate, science-wise. At least it uses gravity correctly.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
If you consider that a game like this is really a form of propaganda, it makes a certain kind of sense.  They're trying to promote their own belief because it "feels better" and trying to discount evolution in various subtle ways in order to make their belief look more reasonable.

It isn't about which fits the facts better, it's about which people believe to be right.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:45:18 PM »
If you consider that a game like this is really a form of propaganda, it makes a certain kind of sense.  They're trying to promote their own belief because it "feels better" and trying to discount evolution in various subtle ways in order to make their belief look more reasonable.

It isn't about which fits the facts better, it's about which people believe to be right.

I have to guess that the people behind these attempts are fully aware that science won't listen to them until they do actual science.  So, propaganda, apologetics, and outright deception are the plan!  Appealing to emotions is a very powerful method of getting people to buy ideas.  Just ask any marketing firm.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 09:24:10 PM »
I think the "Nuns on the Run" game sounds more fun... Naughty novices dodging discovery  8)

The novices are on the loose! Temptation has lured them out of their cells, and they hope not to be caught by the abbess and the prioress. But it will take craftiness and a bit of luck in order to make it back to their beds without being caught!

In Nuns on the Run™ you explore the exciting nocturnal world of intrigue and deception ...  Everyone gets a special "blessing" but only the novices fulfill a "secret wish" ...  Are you wily enough, or sneaky enough to fulfill your quest and win the night?

Nuns on the Run™ is a casual, social game for ages 10 and older.

http://mayfairgames.com/game.php?id=100&stock=MFG4117&name=Nuns+on+the+Run
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 12:39:36 AM »
Zombie jesus wants brains

This ancient secret (known only to the inner tubeschildplanetscircle) has been betrayed by captain kirk and his goosed leda, gamma-ray discomfort

The entire game while continuing to espouse monkey denouements in a relaxed jungle setting of safari jackets, kookaburra calls, and banana lounges, spills the entire messy gray matter into the privacy of your domicile.

The rewards for being born again into the light, weight .....no wait; into the right  ....no way; into the blight,  ....is brains.

ANSWER: >snip< Your eternal salvation may depend on your understanding of this truth. If you answered incorrectly, give two brains to the opposing team.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:43:17 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:41:24 AM »
lol, if you look at the top right 'brain shrinker' http://boardgamegeek.com/image/379253/intelligent-design-vs-evolution?size=large the answer provided actually disproved the validity of the question. The question talks about a sphere while the answer says 'circle'.
ok, not hot-coffe-shooting-through-nose-funny, but still, funny.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:33:08 AM »

I have to guess that the people behind these attempts are fully aware that science won't listen to them until they do actual science.  So, propaganda, apologetics, and outright deception are the plan!  Appealing to emotions is a very powerful method of getting people to buy ideas.  Just ask any marketing firm.

When you don't have reality on your side, there's always marketing.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.