Author Topic: Oklahoma Bill Would Ban Human Consumption of Fetuses  (Read 494 times)

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
Oklahoma Bill Would Ban Human Consumption of Fetuses
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:24:13 PM »
Oklahoma Republicans Introduce Bill That Prohibits The Consumption Of Human Fetuses, Would Ban Stem Cell Research
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2012/01/21/oklahoma-republicans-introduce-bill-that-prohibits-the-consumption-of-human-fetuses-would-ban-stem-cell-research/

Oklahoma Republicans have introduced a bill to ban the use of fetuses and embryos in food products! I don't know whether fetus-eating is a problem down there, but pro-lifers have been claiming that food companies such as Pepsi use embryonic stem cells from aborted fetuses to test out new ingredients. (See http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,19785.msg437114.html#msg437114)

Aside from catering to the paranoid delusions of pro-lifers, it seems to be a back-handed way of attacking stem-cell research. If they ban it in research and development for food (whether or not it's actually occurring), they could presumably extend that to medicine, since that's also consumed by humans. And there's also this: 

The Republicans in Oklahoma are attempting to outlaw stem cell research and treatments under the guise of forbidding the use of fetuses in food. ... It’s all about fighting some non-existent action that seemingly only happens in the minds of Republicans.

It’s clear that Republicans are looking to trap Democrats with this bill. On the one hand, if Democrats vote in favor of the bill, Republicans will have succeeded in banning embryonic stem cell research and treatments. On the other hand, if Democrats vote against it, Republicans will accuse Democrats of wanting to eat fetuses. It’s a classic Republican tactic.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:26:04 PM by jedweber »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Oklahoma Bill Would Ban Human Consumption of Fetuses
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:32:06 PM »
Sounds to me that this is aimed at atheists.  They must have heard about our desire to eat babies.

Is the missing link in Oklahoma?  They ban Shiria Law...like that is a problem in Oklahoma. And now this.  I bet the ones passing this law would be the 1st ones at the door of the doctors office if they had something that could be cured with new medical procedures coming from stem cell research.

The Republican Party is retarded...there is just no other way to put it.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:44:37 PM by Nick »
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:38:12 PM »
Sounds to me that this is aimed at atheists.  They must have herd about our desire to eat babies.

Tell me about it! If I lived in Oklahoma, this would make my Sunday fetus roasts and summer baby barbecues illegal. Fascists!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:47:01 PM »
considering how so many Christians tell us that they are 99.99999% of humanity, it must be good Christians that want to eat babies. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
I heard one time that chap stick was made with left over birth stuff.  Probably not true but I wonder every time I have to use that stuff. ;)

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:57:13 PM »
I live in Oklahoma!  Reasons like this are why I cant come forward about being a non believer.  They would burn me at the stake

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:58:05 PM »
I live in Oklahoma!  Reasons like this are why I cant come forward about being a non believer.  They would burn me at the stake
Maybe but they could not use Shiria Law against you. lol

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:03:03 PM »
Maybe but they could not use Shiria Law against you. lol

Ya at least I wont get stoned to death!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »
It must be a sign from God but a news story just popped up about 2 legally blind women in California who appear to have gotten some vision back after receiving an experimental treatment using embryonic stem cells.

I guess those in Oklahoma will just have to stay blind.

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:57 AM »
It's simply a background attempt at denying scientific research from stem cells. This kind of hidden agenda in law is not new. Heck, we even had the SOPA attempt at censorship. This isn't very different, especially since it's worded at the "concerned".  &)

We (the governmental and allegedly educated body) are scared that 1) human consumption, besides cannibals, can occur in everyday products (!!!) and 2) these products, although they may shed light on diseases that prevent our elderly from thinking their grandchildren are really children from the Jolly Green Giant and NOT a real relative, are also (or should be labeled) cannibalistic products.

It is the same tactic that gets people to abide by religious autonomy; be scared, you should be. Especially if you love Jeebus.

In fact, and at the risk of sounding absolutely callous, what's wrong with OK denying Stem Cell Research? Let them be left out, let them travel to L.A. or New York City after it's too late to ge the necessary treatment/testing. What's really wrong with letting "faith" give a somewhat victory to these people who support it?

Oh, that's right. THEY'RE LYING! Just like Jeebus told them not to. If they call out the medical research SPECIFICALLY, then the medical researchers come in and use their five-cent words and electrical-powered graphs and photos and all those faithful remain confused and run away like the sheep they are. So, let them disguise it. Let them say and influence their public with fear. It's what they're good at.

What I'd like to know is, how many OK residents know how many scientific and government-approved chemicals are in their Jimmy Dean roll they eat everyday. "Mmmmmm, need me my Jimmy Dean, woman! Y'all can pray after it's in muh belly!" :D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:40:10 AM by IAmFirst »
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »

Aside from catering to the paranoid delusions of pro-lifers, it seems to be a back-handed way of attacking stem-cell research. If they ban it in research and development for food (whether or not it's actually occurring), they could presumably extend that to medicine, since that's also consumed by humans. And there's also this: 

I just love how the politicians in these little American states like to puff themselves up. As far as I know Oklahoma is hardly the world epicentre for cutting edge research of any kind. They're still working on the knife and fork as an aid to eating, so you'll pardon me if I'm not too concerned.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »
Speaking on a tangent, if SOPA were in effect this thread would have gotten this site peremptorily taken down.

On the Addicting Info page there is an icon to an article on libertarianism.  It has what looks to be Walt Disney's Tinkerbelle as the icon.

SOPA would have allowed Disney to take that site down and every other site on the web that had linked to it.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
And I'll be damned, there goes my avatar!

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »
come on guys too much stereotyping of Oklahoma in here.  Not all of us are tards and religious freaks.  It's just they are the majority and have the loudest voice.  :-[

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 07:08:15 AM »
come on guys too much stereotyping of Oklahoma in here.  Not all of us are tards and religious freaks.  It's just they are the majority and have the loudest voice.  :-[

Hey, be thankful you're not in Texas!