Author Topic: No Library is Complete without THIS  (Read 1619 times)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
No Library is Complete without THIS
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:30:52 AM »

Surely, there's an atheist review out there of this classic, which no self-respecting American voter would be without.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
Re: No Library is Complete without THIS
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »
You know, I've always wondered why American politics has developed this deep schism which holds that the other side is either downright malicious or threateningly incompetent.
While politics is always rough and seldom without slurs and personal insults, I have not yet encountered another Western country in which an entire mainstream group of voters or an entire party are so consistently and explicitly maligned by another.[1]

That's what you get with a system that will not allow for a coalition anyway, I guess.
 1. With the exception of nigh-totalitarian quasi-democracies.
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Yeah, and this is what we want for other countries.  We are an insane people who should be avoided. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Devils Advocate

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Provocateur
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:38 PM »
I honestly cannot tell if the OP is sarcastic or not...
"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist."
Epicurus

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:55:57 PM »
I do wish the OP had a NSFS (Not Safe for Stomach) tag. Had I known there was going to be a picture of Ann Coulter, I wouldn't have been eating when I opened the thread. I may recover, but I don't think my keyboard will.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:01:18 PM »
There is just something about that chick...like she might have been a dude at one time or something like that.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 07:04:24 PM »
Some of her books are just a collection of her columns.  They're already online.  That book appears to be one of them.

Why should that be in an atheist's library?  Her Godless: The Church of Liberalism is much more core.

My library -- I'm in a Republican county -- sometimes even gets 2 copies of a right-wing book like Sell Out by a self-proclaimed former liberal and investigator that the reason Clinton's impeachment failed was that the Democratic senators must have been bribed.  There is no way the library is wasting scarce funds to buy duplicates of a book.  When would that be useful?  I think that some conservative organization -- or the publisher -- is sending duplicate copies to pump up sales figures initially.

BTW, if you want to see a review, Google "review ann coulter godless" or look at Amazon. 

In fact here's a review of Godless by Chris Hitchens:
http://www.theliberal.co.uk/hitchens.htm

and "Betty Bowers'" review:
http://www.bettybowers.com/coulter.html
Miss Coulter turns her two-setting mind ("off" and "off her rocker") to hector us about religion.

More directly @OP here is a review of If Democrats such as requested:
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/if-democrats-had-any-brains-theyd-be-republicans-by-ann-coulter
Her newest book, If Democrats Had Any Brains, They’d Be Republicans, is a self-glorifying greatest hits compilation, composed of barbed quips and commentary ...  One chapter is even subtitled “My Quotes About Me”.
Unless wildly naïve, Coulter must realize that this shtick is a great asset to her ideological enemies.

I can't place this quotable quote but someone once said, "Ann Coulter makes a living saying things no decent person would."

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »
I saw a photo of her at the most recent CPAC.

Everyone else was making the usual jokes about how she looks like a guy.

I didn't.  Her eyes were sunken.  She was holding up her arms and they looked like toothpicks.  Her skin was unusually pale and thinly stretched across her.  She looked like an animation in Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas.  I've seen that look in people undergoing chemo.   I've also seen a look a lot like that in heavy cocaine users, except the cokles I've seen have a good complexion.

Only her lovely hair looked healthy.  Wig?

To paraphrase one of her heroes[1], it looked like we won't have Ann Coulter to kick around much more.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_nixon#1960_and_1962_elections.3B_wilderness_years

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:17:34 PM »
I saw a photo of her at the most recent CPAC.

Everyone else was making the usual jokes about how she looks like a guy.

I didn't.  Her eyes were sunken.  She was holding up her arms and they looked like toothpicks.  Her skin was unusually pale and thinly stretched across her.  She looked like an animation in Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas.  I've seen that look in people undergoing chemo.   I've also seen a look a lot like that in heavy cocaine users, except the cokles I've seen have a good complexion.

Only her lovely hair looked healthy.  Wig?

To paraphrase one of her heroes[1], it looked like we won't have Ann Coulter to kick around much more.
 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_nixon#1960_and_1962_elections.3B_wilderness_years
That would be a miracle. ;)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:51:03 PM »
I tried to read one of her books.  I forget which one.  20 pages of her screed was all I could take.

I twisted Screwtape Sr to read Al Franken's "Lies and the Lying Liars who tell them".  I thought it was a much softer and more generous (to his opponents) book.  Sr's view of it was pretty much what I thought of Coulter. 

You know, I've always wondered why American politics has developed this deep schism which holds that the other side is either downright malicious or threateningly incompetent.

Is it possible that the right wing is both?  Look at the current crop of right wing congress people who are dedicated to sabotaging government by holding up appointments for no reason other than they can.  The tea baggers could have had a conversation about the debt etc, but instead decided to hold the government and economy hostage. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
Al Frankens book, Lies,  takes particular pleasure in destroying Coulter by exposing her as a reckless liar who does not check her sources or perhaps does not care to check them. Frankens book is funny while, at the same time, exposing some of the more egregious lies of the red party adherants. What would you expect from a very shrewd jewish comedian turned politician? As for Coulter..You gotta give her credit for turning lies and innuendo into big bucks from her books. She is, by all evidence, a shrewd, prosperous, and evil, bitch.

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:30 AM »
I know this thread has been necro'd but I figure people might enjoy this. :)

“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.