Author Topic: Are religious people better adjusted psychologically?  (Read 462 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Are religious people better adjusted psychologically?
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »
Psychological research has found that religious people feel great about themselves, with a tendency toward higher social self-esteem and better psychological adjustment than non-believers. But a new study published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, finds that this is only true in countries that put a high value on religion.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-01-religious-people-adjusted-psychologically.html

To me, this demonstrates how religion is very much a herd thing.  If you are in a religious area and are religious, of course you think you are better and "right". 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Are religious people better adjusted psychologically?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »
It's just narcissism. "Our god created the 300+ billion galaxy universe just for us."
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:51:41 AM »
Psychological research has found that religious people feel great about themselves, with a tendency toward higher social self-esteem and better psychological adjustment than non-believers. But a new study published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science, finds that this is only true in countries that put a high value on religion.
http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-01-religious-people-adjusted-psychologically.html

To me, this demonstrates how religion is very much a herd thing.  If you are in a religious area and are religious, of course you think you are better and "right".

I saw this just the other day myself.  I remember thinking how ridiculously irrelevant it is.  What's the old saying about drunk people being happier than sober ones by comparison?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
Could partly be biological as well.

Studies do indicate religious folks are generally less depressed. Research shows that our dopamine levels goes up when we think we are about to get rewarded.

The great reward in the next life...

Another interesting thing:
A person with hypocampal damage, has less ability to link cause to effect. Superstition allows us to make a casual link where one does (or may not) exist.

Makes it easy to get those dopamine levels up, I think.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »
Ignorance is bliss.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +795/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »
I like to think that it depends on how well defined "better adjusted" is in the studies.

How "Jesus loves you and if you don't accept him you're going to hell" indicates being better adjusted I don't know.

Big groups that smile all the time don't impress me as much as they do those that conducted the studies.

I guess there is something wrong with me.

Who knew?
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +119/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 12:29:06 PM »
But they suspected that the reason for this was that religious people are better in living up to their societal values in religious societies, which in turn should lead to higher social self-esteem and better psychological adjustment.

Makes sense to a point.  People who fit in are less likely to run into problems in the community and they receive constant validation of their choices.

They're also less likely to be noticed and singled out.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:55:50 PM by MadBunny »
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:07:17 AM »
The guys who flew the planes into the World Trade Center defined their society's values, and had excellent self-esteem. They are still considered heroes, publicly or secretly, by the vast majority of the Muslim world.

If the scorn and ire of the ignorant masses is the price I pay for my logic and reason, I pay it gladly. After all, what value hath the respect of a fool?
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
They are still considered heroes, publicly or secretly, by the vast majority of the Muslim world.

joebbowers, seriously, what's with you and Muslims? Nearly every post I see that you make related to Islam "hints" at how "most Muslims are extremists". Once you even posted something like "Ask them if you don't believe me. Just remember that they're going to lie". Prejudice (especially in the absence of evidence) is not a virtue.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +586/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »
joebbowers, seriously, what's with you and Muslims? Nearly every post I see that you make related to Islam "hints" at how "most Muslims are extremists". Once you even posted something like "Ask them if you don't believe me. Just remember that they're going to lie". Prejudice (especially in the absence of evidence) is not a virtue.
I've wondered that myself.  In fairness, there are serious and real problems with countries where Islam is the law of the land, but that is not the same thing as assuming that Muslims, in general, are problems waiting to happen.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
In fairness, there are serious and real problems with countries where Islam is the law of the land, but that is not the same thing as assuming that Muslims, in general, are problems waiting to happen.

That's true of any theocracy.
We choose our own gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 03:28:42 PM »
The guys who flew the planes into the World Trade Center defined their society's values, and had excellent self-esteem. They are still considered heroes, publicly or secretly, by the vast majority of the Muslim world.

If the scorn and ire of the ignorant masses is the price I pay for my logic and reason, I pay it gladly. After all, what value hath the respect of a fool?

so joebowers defined his society's values and had excellent self-esteem and is still a douchebag.

happily, generalizations often fail. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:51:31 PM »

The Muslims I know were appalled and horrified by the actions of those men. They did not admire bin Laden or cheer when the towers fell. They knew that they would be scapegoated and mistreated because of 9/11 (and they were).

I know a man who lost his security clearance and engineering job at Boeing due to anti-Muslim prejudice after 9/11. He and his family did not think those hijackers were heroes.

My wealthy Gulf Arab students left the US after being threatened and harrassed. They are pursuing their educations in England and Canada. They and their terrified families did not think those hijackers were heroes.

So, tell me, how do you know what the vast majority of Muslims secretly think? It's a secret, right?  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 04:59:58 PM »
Religion is a placebo masquerading as the Great Panecia. Those who "take the pill" and believe the advertisement without considering the "fine print" (that it's not real medicine) will often times convince themselves that all is in fact cured in their lives and that ultimately they have nothing to worry about because to them, their faith is the victory that has overcome the world, it evils, its dangers, and most of its concerns.
Such a state of mental conviction can lead to more inner peace and psychological health and proves a point of mine that states that religion is the ultimate coping mechanism.