Author Topic: Swearing  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
Re: Swearing
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 06:07:31 AM »

The truth is that swearing serves an important purpose, as was explained in the OP. That's all.

What is this 'important' purpose then?
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 06:09:35 AM »

The truth is that swearing serves an important purpose, as was explained in the OP. That's all.

What is this 'important' purpose then?

Bold mine. In case you still don't get it, here's a clearer version:
Read the OP, which you clearly didn't do.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 06:14:15 AM »
I don't know what the OP is, maybe you could post a link?
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:20 AM »
I don't know what the OP is, maybe you could post a link?

OP=Original Post.

You've been here for almost a year and don't know what OP means? I find that hard to believe.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »
I forget
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »
So people swear because ity is boring not to? I think you already know my opinion on that, but do you know the real truth?
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 06:22:14 AM »
So people swear because ity is boring not to? I think you already know my opinion on that, but do you know the real truth?

People swear for many reasons. They were explained in the OP (and it's not because "it's boring not to"; I don't know how the hell you got that idea) and all throughout this thread. If you want to know the reasons, go back and actually read the posts.
We choose our own gods.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 07:01:19 AM »
"Oh crackle!" just doesn't comfort like "shit!" when you hit your thumb with a hammer.
Darn you, just doesn't express it like Damn you!

And !@@!#$^^%&*& just isn't as satisfying as you f-ing mthr fkr! (I'm saying that out loud because that didn't work for me either).

But, I don't really know what the hecky darn poopy pants I'm saying.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
My words in bold:

Bleeped-out swearing may be okay for adults on TV, but what about kids? The ABC show "Modern Family" is about to find out by airing an episode this week about a foul-mouthed 2-year-old.

^ to me, that is boring. They are only words! Surprising, I do say, but boring. Who gives a shit? Everyone does - to toilets....

However, this was more interesting:

Stroke victims and people with brain injuries often remember how to swear even when other words elude them ...SO people swear when they cannot think of any other words?

-- even better --

Swearing also makes it easier to bear pain Not for me it doesn't, according to a 2009 study in which volunteers submerged their hands in a tub of ice water, a common laboratory method for inducing pain. Some were told to repeat a swear word of their choice as they submerged their hands, while others were told to repeat a boring, nonobscene adjective.
The volunteers who were swearing a blue streak kept their hands submerged longer than the other participants, suggesting the profanity helped them cope with pain. It's possible that swearing increases aggression and thus pain tolerance ... Strange

.. though they do not reveal which word was used most often to allow people to endure pain the longest. How about people stop hurting themselves?

"A lot of people don't realize that swearing represents an evolutionary leap An evolutionary leap represented by swearing?!, in that it allows us to be verbally aggressive without being physically aggressive" Why can't people not be aggressive?!

which is a spin on the topic I hadn't heard before, but it sounds plausible. To you it does
[/quote]
-Thomas Szasz

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »
So swearing is a waste of time, no matter how meaningful it is to anyone. That is my opinion, but swearing is stupid, that is the truth.

you just don't get it do you?  Your inistence that your and only your opinion matters is just like any theist here, all baseless opinion.   You are silly in your attempts to declare yourself the source of "truth".   ;D  But by all means, let me pat you on the head and call you my special snowflake.  &)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 10:02:47 AM »
Read the bold

you just don't get it do you? Nope, I don't understand it.  Your inistence that your and only your opinion matters is just like any theist here, all baseless opinion. Baseless?   You are silly in your attempts to declare yourself the source of "truth".   ;D  But by all means, let me pat you on the head and call you my special snowflake.  &) Good, my plan is working

Swearing is a waste of time, that is all!
-Thomas Szasz

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
To fuck it is(a waste of time) this is the 21st century,your on your computer,,,THAT is a FUCKING waste of time!!!!
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 10:29:04 AM »
To fuck it is(a waste of time) this is the 21st century,your on your computer,,,THAT is a FUCKING waste of time!!!!

There is no meaning of existence automatically, people make meanings to exist, isn't everything a waste of time?
-Thomas Szasz

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »
So why would you focus on something that is NOT even a real issue? EVERYBODY I know has said the word fuck in various degree's of meaning.....swear word....no its the label put to it as bad,like premarital sex
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
So why would you focus on something that is NOT even a real issue? EVERYBODY I know has said the word fuck in various degree's of meaning.....swear word....no its the label put to it as bad,like premarital sex

I have never met anyone who hasn't used swear words, but I have never used them. Why would I need or want to?
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
There is no meaning to swear words automatically, people make meanings to exist, isn't everything a waste of time?

There, fixed that bitch right up for you. Does it make any fucking sense now? Why get offended over what god damned word comes out of someones mouth? After all, it's not what you say but how you say it, right? Is that why you think shit is so stupid?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »

There, fixed that bitch right up for you. Does it make any fucking sense now? Why get offended over what god damned word comes out of someones mouth? After all, it's not what you say but how you say it, right? Is that why you think shit is so stupid?

It is both what people say and how they say it. I don't get offended, I just think those words make no sense.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »
It is both what people say and how they say it. I don't get offended, I just think those words make no sense.

Oh, they make sense. You were just raised to believe that the use of "foul" language indicates an uneducated mind. But, as you are discovering, that is not always the case.

There are several reasons I can think of to argue against using "cuss" words. Your argument is the weakest.

What do you think about this?

Made me feel dirty for laughing. But the fact is it's funny. Funny as HELL

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2012, 07:56:55 PM »

I have never met anyone who hasn't used swear words, but I have never used them. Why would I need or want to?
Why would you need or want to masturbate,get stoned,drunk,drive over the speed limit,overeat,oversleep...praise God,not do your laundry when its piled up,clean your toilet.....to focus on something that to people 50 or younger could not care about
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:59:46 PM by 12 Monkeys »

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2012, 05:44:37 AM »
Bold:

Oh, they make sense. You were just raised to believe that the use of "foul" language indicates an uneducated mind. But, as you are discovering, that is not always the case. I was not raised like that, my entire family always used swear words, but I didn't because I thought they were a waste of time and stupid anyway. 

There are several reasons I can think of to argue against using "cuss" words. Your argument is the weakest. It is not about having the strongest argument, it is about the truth.

What do you think about this?

I feel that children have been ruined for learning to be like that.

Made me feel dirty for laughing. But the fact is it's funny. Funny as HELL I don't think that is funny.
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2012, 05:48:01 AM »
Bold:

You've been here for almost a year. Learn how to quote properly.

It is not about having the strongest argument, it is about the truth.

And get it through your thick skull that the truth is in the OP. Everything you have stated so far is what's known as an opinion.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 05:56:22 AM »

You've been here for almost a year. Learn how to quote properly.

That was not a quote, read the bold!

And get it through your thick skull that the truth is in the OP. Everything you have stated so far is what's known as an opinion.

Things can be both, your opinion is that the truth is in the OP, what world are you living on? it doesn't matter anyway, believe what you want.
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 05:59:35 AM »
That was not a quote, read the bold!

And that is not how you reply with quotes. Do you see anyone else doing it?

Things can be both, your opinion is that the truth is in the OP, what world are you living on? it doesn't matter anyway, believe what you want.

They cannot be both. The OP is based on verifiable data. That makes it fact.
Your opinion is based on subjective things. That makes it irrelevant.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 06:02:22 AM »

And that is not how you reply with quotes. Do you see anyone else doing it?

They cannot be both. The OP is based on verifiable data. That makes it fact.
Your opinion is based on subjective things. That makes it irrelevant.

It doesn't matter what EVERYONE ELSE does, if you can read and understand what I am typing, that is all that does matter.

So things must be verified to be a fact?
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 06:06:13 AM »
It doesn't matter what EVERYONE ELSE does, if you can read and understand what I am typing, that is all that does matter.

Ralely? Yuo cna aslo udsnrestad tihs, btu yuo dnot see me wrinitg lkie thsi.
It's also in the quoting FAQ, BTW. You know, that thing that teaches you how to quote properly?

So things must be verified to be a fact?

That's the very definition of a fact.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 06:10:05 AM »

Ralely? Yuo cna aslo udsnrestad tihs, btu yuo dnot see me wrinitg lkie thsi.
It's also in the quoting FAQ, BTW. You know, that thing that teaches you how to quote properly?

Yes I can understand you typing like that, but a lot of people would rather type differently. I never used the FAQ, I didn't need it.

That's the very definition of a fact.

So if someone dies, they are not really dead if others don't know about it? If someone knows something, it is a known fact. Known facts are not the only facts, but the one we were discussing may not be known, to you, for you have a different opinion about it.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012, 06:12:15 AM »
We live on a planet, that is an opinion and a truth, maybe it depends on what the subject is for truth to be opinion and vice versa.
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 06:16:53 AM »
Yes I can understand you typing like that, but a lot of people would rather type differently. I never used the FAQ, I didn't need it.

You should have.

So if someone dies, they are not really dead if others don't know about it? If someone knows something, it is a known fact. Known facts are not the only facts, but the one we were discussing may not be known, to you, for you have a different opinion about it.

My mistake: Facts do not depend on verification or knowledge. They are absolute, regardless, but they are also verifiable. Opinions are neither.

We live on a planet, that is an opinion and a truth, maybe it depends on what the subject is for truth to be opinion and vice versa.

No, that is a fact, not an opinion. At best you could say that the definition of "planet" is subjective, and therefore an opinion. Of course, that wouldn't help your case one bit.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 06:22:03 AM »
So this world is subjective to everyone? It is one big space rock with life on it, why don't people see that it is not a subjective thing, it is reality, which doesn't care about anyone's personal things.
-Thomas Szasz