Author Topic: Swearing  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Swearing
« on: January 19, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »
'Modern Family' tot's potty mouth no big deal, experts say

Bleeped-out swearing may be okay for adults on TV, but what about kids? The ABC show "Modern Family" is about to find out by airing an episode this week about a foul-mouthed 2-year-old.

^ to me, that is boring. Surprising, I do say, but boring. Who gives a shit?

However, this was more interesting:

Stroke victims and people with brain injuries often remember how to swear even when other words elude them ...

-- even better --

Swearing also makes it easier to bear pain, according to a 2009 study in which volunteers submerged their hands in a tub of ice water, a common laboratory method for inducing pain. Some were told to repeat a swear word of their choice as they submerged their hands, while others were told to repeat a boring, nonobscene adjective.
The volunteers who were swearing a blue streak kept their hands submerged longer than the other participants, suggesting the profanity helped them cope with pain. It's possible that swearing increases aggression and thus pain tolerance ...

.. though they do not reveal which word was used most often to allow people to endure pain the longest.

"A lot of people don't realize that swearing represents an evolutionary leap, in that it allows us to be verbally aggressive without being physically aggressive"

which is a spin on the topic I hadn't heard before, but it sounds plausible.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Swearing
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »
I use swearing when I want to emphasize something and just don't have the patience to "find" a "nonobscene adjective". I don't see what the big deal is. They're just words.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
I wonder if this explains why that Tourette's Syndrom sufferers often use "inappropriate words".  Or is that just a Hollywood bit of nonsense?

Kids swear becasue the adults around them swear. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jtk73

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-1
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:37:39 AM »
I always thought that it was odd that shit is considered a bad/swear word but crap, poop, excrement, etc... are not swear words even though that refer to the same thing. I suspect that if everyone in the world (that speaks english) stopped treating shit and fuck like they are bad words, they would just become regular words like potato and bumblebee and vice versa if people started shouting grumblenuggets! when they stubbed their toe - grumblenuggets would begin to be considered a swear word(?)

Many people consider saying "god" or "god damn" to be swearing or 'taking the lords name in vain' but "god" is not bible god's name - his name is yahweh. Many christians consider god with a capital "g" to be his/it's name due to their extreme christian privilege (or maybe that is how the bible was translated purposely to squeeze out the possibility of other gods) and because many of them consider belief in 'God' as the default position and they can't imagine how anyone could possibly believe differently.

I know that when I was younger, my parents didn't want me to say 'god', 'hell', 'jesus' in a derogatory way. I also was not allowed to say gosh, geez or heck (shit, fuck, etc. either) as they were euphemisms and apparently just as bad. But now that they are older they seem to be more lax as my nephew is allowed to say 'heck' and I have several times heard my mother say 'shit'.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »
Some say that they are just words, but they are words that make no sense. They are just stupid words that people like to use or use because they are to lazy to even use better words. How hard is it to just use another word?!
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:07:14 AM »
I find swearing useful to express emotion in a way that most people can grok.   I don't swear often so when I let loose people notice.  My husband does the same, and he even did it in the military when every other word can often be one of George Carlin's "seven words".  That got the attention of his troopies. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 11:08:39 AM »
Some say that they are just words, but they are words that make no sense. They are just stupid words that people like to use or use because they are to lazy to even use better words. How hard is it to just use another word?!

Rephrase your entire post using different words and see how long it takes. Now imagine doing that in the middle of a conversation.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »
I find swearing useful to express emotion in a way that most people can grok.   I don't swear often so when I let loose people notice.  My husband does the same, and he even did it in the military when every other word can often be one of George Carlin's "seven words".  That got the attention of his troopies.

Can you express emotion in any other way than swearing? I consider swearing to make no sense (for that is the truth) but in terms of emotion, it would seem that people are angry when they swear.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »

Rephrase your entire post using different words and see how long it takes. Now imagine doing that in the middle of a conversation.

So you mean that people use swear words because it is faster? They must be very lazy people.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:45 AM »
So you mean that people use swear words because it is faster? They must be very lazy people.

I see you ignored my challenge. Rewrite your entire post using different words and see how long it takes. Now imagine that in a setting where you want to convey information to the other person quickly, since you're feeling a strong emotion at the time. Would you:
A - Take the time to come up with other words
or
B - Say the first thing that comes to your head that conveys the information you want

If you pick A, you're an idiot.
We choose our own gods.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »

Can you express emotion in any other way than swearing? I consider swearing to make no sense (for that is the truth) but in terms of emotion, it would seem that people are angry when they swear.

You might read the original post, which seems to indicate that we benefit from swearing, both as individuals and a culture.  If I can handle pain better and satisfy myself with an explitive rather than punching someone in the face, is that not a benefit?

It may be that cultures define what swear words are by how they subconsciously effect us. That somehow we know which words provide the relief or the expressions of anger and define them as bad. And if this definition of bad words is required for them to work, then it is important that we not water down their effectiveness by making them acceptable.

So I started out this post admonishing Samuelcx, but now I think I have to thank him. I'm guessing that the words have to have taboo status to work. And we need people like Sam to keep us off our toes.

Seriously, thanks for having standards that are too high, Samuelcx. Next time I stub my toe, I'll think about you right after I yell the F word very loudly.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »

Please give me some examples of expressing emotion in other ways, Sam.  I'm purely curious if you can.  And no it's not the "truth" it's your opinion. 

I generally curse if I'm angry, in pain or suprised. 

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:19 AM »
Can you express emotion in any other way than swearing? Some say wearing types of clothes is a form of expressionI consider swearing to make no sense (for that is the truth) but in terms of emotion, it would seem that people are angry when they swear.

Please give me some examples of expressing emotion in other ways, Sam.  I'm purely curious if you can.  And no it's not the "truth" it's your opinion. My opinion of jumping of a mountain is people die. That is the truth, it is my opinion too, things like this can be both. That was one part of the truth. 

I generally curse if I'm angry, in pain or suprised. People should not do that, it just makes no sense, atleast I don't do it, it would me meaningless.
[/quote]
-Thomas Szasz

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 12:35:29 PM »
Can you express emotion in any other way than swearing? Some say wearing types of clothes is a form of expressionI consider swearing to make no sense (for that is the truth) but in terms of emotion, it would seem that people are angry when they swear.

Please give me some examples of expressing emotion in other ways, Sam.  I'm purely curious if you can.  And no it's not the "truth" it's your opinion. My opinion of jumping of a mountain is people die. That is the truth, it is my opinion too, things like this can be both. That was one part of the truth. 

I generally curse if I'm angry, in pain or suprised. People should not do that, it just makes no sense, atleast I don't do it, it would me meaningless.
Suddenly lose your ability to quote correctly?  I don't care if makes "no sense" to you.  That's your opinion.  I don't share it.  It is no more "truth" than a Christians claim that morals come from only their god.

You claiming that swearing makes no sense is not a truth. It is totally subjective and it is not the same as "jumping off a mountain will lead to death", which can be quite objective if qualified correctly.  It still could be wrong since jumping off a mountain, with a parachute, is a sport and doesn't always lead to death. Your claiming that people "shouldn't do" something is also simply your opinion. 

I swear since it is *meaningful* to me. 

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »
I read somewhere that "bad words" originated from the prejudices and biased of the upper class patricians of society against the words used by the commoners (plebians). Such words as shit(e) were only considered as bad because the rich, powerful, and influencial said they were inappropriate and not dignified.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 04:27:28 PM »
I don't completely trust, or like very much, people who don't swear.

I just don't fucking like it for some reason.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »

I usually agree, but if she's over 80, it sort of bothers me...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:57 PM »
I wonder if this explains why that Tourette's Syndrom sufferers often use "inappropriate words".  Or is that just a Hollywood bit of nonsense?

Kids swear becasue the adults around them swear.
Fuckin ehhhh
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
I have already taught my 10 year old all of the basic "cuss" words.  I have taught him that they are just words, nothing else.  I have also taught him that using them in front of some people is considered rude, at his age.  He is smart enough to hold in his farts when he is in certain company, so he does well with these words.  The other day, I let him drop an f-bomb, and he laughed for a bit on how funny it felt. 

I think we should demystify the language, and stop pretending like the words are more than they are, words.

I'm an f-bomber myself.  fuck yeah.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:12 PM »

Oh fudge!  Good gravy!  Jeezoo-Petes!

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:39 PM »
To me, oftentimes swearing publicly is like eating with a group and exhibiting poor table manners.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 11:54:42 PM »

LOL...I don't dislike swear words in and of themselves. Sometimes I even wish I had the knack of tossing them off, and kinda envy people who can do it, but they just don't seem to taste right in my mouth.  Even if I'm quoting someone, I'll almost always end up throwing in a bleep or euphemism. Which is a bit odd, really, since my sense of humor and general outlook definitely skews toward the irreverent.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 11:59:54 PM »

LOL...I don't dislike swear words in and of themselves. Sometimes I even wish I had the knack of tossing them off, and kinda envy people who can do it, but they just don't seem to taste right in my mouth.  Even if I'm quoting someone, I'll almost always end up throwing in a bleep or euphemism. Which is a bit odd, really, since my sense of humor and general outlook definitely skews toward the irreverent.

Just drop a big hammer on your toe in the garage.  That'll open up the word blockage!  Just kidding, please don't do this!   ;D

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 03:29:33 AM »
I don't swear

I don't lie

I would write in greater detail but I am too busy finishing the flight saddle and harness for my prized sow.

I should also point out that the green cheese has quadrupled (not to be confused with quadruped) the swine's methane output, and thus I was able to swear off letting off hot air by swearing.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 05:39:10 AM »

Oh fudge!  Good gravy!  Jeezoo-Petes!

Enjoy your day.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 05:51:39 AM »
Suddenly lose your ability to quote correctly?  I don't care if makes "no sense" to you.  That's your opinion.  I don't share it.  It is no more "truth" than a Christians claim that morals come from only their god.

You claiming that swearing makes no sense is not a truth. It is totally subjective and it is not the same as "jumping off a mountain will lead to death", which can be quite objective if qualified correctly.  It still could be wrong since jumping off a mountain, with a parachute, is a sport and doesn't always lead to death. Your claiming that people "shouldn't do" something is also simply your opinion. 

I swear since it is *meaningful* to me.

That bad quoting was an accident. It does not matter if you care about it or not. I didn't mean jumping off a mountain with a parachute or anything, should have made that more clear for you, but wasting time doing that for sport would be ridiculous to me. You swear since it is meaningful to you? There are many other things you can say that are also meaningful, but even if swearing is meaningful, the words still don't make sense. Example: "I think that F**** they are **** insane!"

If you take away the waste words:
"I think that they are insane!"

So swearing is a waste of time, no matter how meaningful it is to anyone. That is my opinion, but swearing is stupid, that is the truth.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 05:58:53 AM »
So swearing is a waste of time, no matter how meaningful it is to anyone. That is my opinion,

That's your argument? "It's a waste of time"?

but swearing is stupid, that is the truth.

Nope, that's still your opinion.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 06:02:05 AM »

Nope, that's still your opinion.

What is thr truth then? Don't post your opinion either.
-Thomas Szasz

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-37
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 06:05:08 AM »
What is thr truth then? Don't post your opinion either.

The truth is that swearing serves an important purpose, as was explained in the OP. That's all.
We choose our own gods.