Author Topic: Scientists obverse single cell yeast evolve in multicellular organism  (Read 410 times)

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
How significant is this study? I saw it and thought it was interesting  I know there are people with much better knowledge of evolution than me.  I also realize this isnt the aha all our theories about evolution are now fact.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=test-tube-yeast-evolve

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Scientists obverse single cell yeast evolve in multicellular organism
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
It's impressive and should silence a few more creationists.
EDIT: Also, our theories are not fact simply because they cannot be. They are the explanations of facts. The theory of evolution explains evolution, the theory of gravity explains gravity, and so on.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:45:29 AM »
It's impressive and should silence a few more creationists.
EDIT: Also, our theories are not fact simply because they cannot be. They are the explanations of facts. The theory of evolution explains evolution, the theory of gravity explains gravity, and so on.

I am curious to see the creationist response to this.  Even though i am sure it will be similar to "this study proves nothing." Thank you for comparing the theory of evolution to the theory of gravity. I realize evolution is basically fact but I didnt really know why but that made the light bulb go off.  I have studied evolution in highschool and college despite living in Oklahoma.  :P  Unfortunately, I am still basically a complete layman in my evolutionary knowledge compared to many others in here.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
I don't remember where I saw this but here goes...science accepts that they might be asking questions that may never be answered.  Religion claims to have answers that may never be questioned. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
I still am really curious what creationists would say about this study. Not to pick on them, but I want to see how they legitamize this in their head.  Did the scientists lie about what they saw? did they do the experiment wrong?  Did they not really see what they thought they saw?

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:38:35 AM »
Really interesting! Thanks.

It makes me wonder where they could ultimately take this. The article does state:

Although researchers agree that the yeast clusters could indeed be considered multicellular organisms, they remain relatively simple. "The researchers are not going to evolve sponges with this approach, but it's amazing what they’re able to do so quickly," Simpson says

So why is this? I'm not versed enough in this sort of science. Is it just that even with artificial selection the process of taking the extra step toward a more complex multicellular creature would be forbiddingly lengthy? Or is there something about yeast which places inherent limitations on how far they can evolve?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
Is it just that even with artificial selection the process of taking the extra step toward a more complex multicellular creature would be forbiddingly lengthy?

Pretty much.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.