Author Topic: Defineing  (Read 354 times)

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
Defineing
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:51:03 AM »
I have thought about this but i still am not to sure what defines a "true christian"? If they follow all the laws in the bible to include one that i recently learn about, pay after you rape some one, does that make you a true Christian or does that make you a radical christian? I am not to sure what it means when some one says that they are a true christian...
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
Re: Defineing
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 10:55:13 AM »
What defines a 'true Christian': (Must be all these things)

A believer who worships and praises god/Jesus (apparently they are the same)
Someone who never wears any clothes - god never intended it
A truly good person who never does anything bad like murder others, say things that make no sense ('swearing') and helping others that need it most.

If there are any more anyone can think of that I have missed feel free to ad to the list.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:56:51 AM »
A person who follows all the laws of the Bible, including the ones that contradict each other.
Id est: Nobody is a "true" christian.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 10:58:30 AM »
I don't think you'll find much, if any, consensus on this question. In my experience, people who use the phrase tend toward the more conservative side of things. Fundamentalists of one stripe or another. But beyond that, people will argue about the details. I don't know any liberal christians who would self-identify as a true christian, because they're more, well, liberal. lol

In my opinion, so-called conservative christians are radical.  ;)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-32
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
A True Christian is the kind that you're talking to at any given time.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:34:15 PM »
A "true Christian" is the Christian who is following the correct brand of Christianity.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:51:18 PM »
Adzgari has it right. A true christian is the whichever christian is telling you he is one right now.  There are obviously no standards or ways to measure, beyond their believing in both god and jc. Our One True Christian™ joke applies to whoever is playing that part at the time.

It's not our fault they come in so many different flavors. Asking an atheist to differentiate or judge for accuracy all the customized versions is fruitless. We don't care. At least I don't.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 02:36:54 PM »
If they follow all the laws in the bible to include one that i recently learn about, pay after you rape some one,

I think you'll find that's one of those "jewish I'll kill you all" Yahweh laws and not the "christian I love you all" Yahweh laws. You see Jesus says that his dad/him isn't going to drown, burn, crush, or in any way slaughter us anymore.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 02:18:03 AM »
If they follow all the laws in the bible to include one that i recently learn about, pay after you rape some one,

I think you'll find that's one of those "jewish I'll kill you all" Yahweh laws and not the "christian I love you all" Yahweh laws. You see Jesus says that his dad/him isn't going to drown, burn, crush, or in any way slaughter us anymore.

That promise was God wouldn't flood the Earth anymore. That's it! In contrast, Jesus said something along the lines of until Heaven and Earth pass away, not one stoke of the pen of the law shall be removed. In addition, He said, I come not to rid the law, but to fulfill it. Those OT laws, according to the Bible, are still to be practiced in full effect today.

Those who are attempting to have the OT in the Bible removed are clearly in denial that their God isn't the morally, ethically, lovable hippie God that they portray. They know that the OT invalidates their belief, so they have to get rid of that which contradicts their views.

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
You can't define 'true Christian' because that concept changes according to what is needed by the speaker at the time.

'Not a true Christian' is easier to define.  That is anyone who was formerly described as a 'Christian' but is now effing up and/or spouting something hateful or irrational so that other Christians wish to disavow him. 

In other forums, when I cite examples of Christian murderers, deviants or hate-mongers, the following people are considered 'not a true Christian':

Timothy McViegh
Adolf Hitler
Jim Jones
David Koresh
Eric Rudolf
David Duke

By all outward accounts, these people seemed to believe as much of the Chrisitan Bible as anyone else, but once you kill 10 million people, then they say you are not a true Christian.