Author Topic: Desecration of enemy bodies.  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
Desecration of enemy bodies.
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:16:58 PM »
It is January 14.  Right now a hot topic is about the video of the Marines that shows them urinating on an enemy corpse. Rick Perry says that they are only kids and that they should be reprimanded but not court martialed. So far this is the only statement that Perry has made with which I agree.  Yes, the Geneva convention forbids the desecration of enemy bodies and I see no reason to do this sort of thing.  But then I am no longer an 18 or 20 year old warrior.  (I was at one time in the past)

The bodies being desicrated are those of people who were desperately trying to kill the marines a few minutes, or hours, prior. So these young warriors have elected to piss on the losers of the battle.. I cannot help but remember the group of four journalists, contractors, or whatever they were, in Iraq that were killed burned, dragged through the streets and hung from a bridge superstructure.  That was desecration at its' basist level.  That contrast in unsatisfactory behavior is to be noted.  If we are to be constrained by Marquis DeQueensbury rules, and apparently we are, while the enemy is constrained by no rules at all, then we are at a helluva disadvantage.

How do you feel about the behavior of these marines?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Desecration of enemy bodies.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:29:28 PM »
Their bodies are just that - bodies. They are no longer alive, so they won't care. However, their families might. IMO it serves no purpose to desecrate any body whatsoever.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:36:58 PM »
How do you feel about the behavior of these marines?

It was unprofessional, disgraceful and disrespectful. It was also justified and funny IMHO. I would recommend an article 15 for conduct unbecoming a u.s. soldier and some refresher courses about situation awareness but anything more than that is pandering to the enemy. 

Whenever my nephew was in convoys in Iraq he served as a crew served weapons gunner. On one mission through a populated area an elderly woman threw a large rock at the convoy and hit the MRAP in front of his. He had an ice mocha in his hand at the time and out of instinct threw it towards the old woman. Hit her too. Can you imagine the shock on her and her families faces when she got smacked with ice cold coffee from a moving military vehicle?

His commander wasn't "pleased" with his action but he was impressed with his aim. My brother was very disappointed, said it sent the "wrong" message. I thought it was hysterical and sent the "right" message.

After all, if it was the other way round and it was a Taliban convoy rollin down one of our streets and an old woman threw a rock at one of their convoys they would have likely thrown a bullet at her, stopped the convoy and burned the town to the ground.

So, yeah...piss on 'em.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »
The military needs to sweep this under the rug ASAP if possible.  Lets move on.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »
If they had to piss on the bodies, why in the fuck did they feel the need to videotape it, and then share it?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:15:29 PM »
Isn't it sad that we, as humans, can justify killing someone but not peeing on their body. I agree it was a bit immature to do that, but I'm not all that sure that creating and justifying reasons for killing others is exactly the most adult thing any of us can do.

This is a symptom, not the problem. If we're going to go through wars nitpicking about the details while ignoring the base reasons for hating en masse then expect all our complaints about the details to be petty. Like this one.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 08:16:04 PM »
I guess they were pissed off.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
Isn't it sad that we, as humans, can justify killing someone but not peeing on their body.

Speak for yourself. I can find no justification for either one.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
I guess they were pissed off.

Better to be pissed off than pissed on  ;)
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 08:20:37 PM »
Isn't it sad that we, as humans, can justify killing someone but not peeing on their body.

Speak for yourself. I can find no justification for either one.

I can't justify either. I was speaking for society in general, based on my observations.  I should have been more clear.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »
Well, we have become a nation that tortures so I guess pissing on dead bodies is just part of our exceptionalism as a nation now. :o

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 08:45:55 PM »
We owe it to our soldiers to find ways ahead of time to tell them which horrid things are acceptable and which are not. How is any one person to know how fickle his society is without that information?

Online Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »
Anyone remember the American outrage when US contractors were killed, burned, and hung from a bridge trestle in Iraq?
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 09:45:53 PM »
Well, we have become a nation that tortures so I guess pissing on dead bodies is just part of our exceptionalism as a nation now. :o

Ha...depends on what the meaning of torture is. We don't "torture" we just use techniques that haven't been properly defined yet, see?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 09:46:42 PM »
Anyone remember the American outrage when US contractors were killed, burned, and hung from a bridge trestle in Iraq?

I bet those marines who pissed on bodies of their enemies do.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 10:19:59 PM »

I do remember it.  But what does it mean to remember it, or even be outraged?  I think it was beyond disgusting, but I also want to think that there is a level of barbarianism in some of those groups in Iraq that we will never equal, because we know better. 

I know that war is hell, and I know that some of our citizens were treated far worse than being pissed on after killed.  But in my mind, I just can't find a way to call it OK. 

Maybe this is similar to the adrenaline issues that law enforcement go through - you know, when they finally apprehend a criminal during a chase, they sometimes get caught beating the s**t out of them even when they are completely subdued?

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:21:11 PM by jetson »

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 11:10:48 PM »
For me, I find it crazy that some people are justifying the pissing on the corpses. I'm with Jetson and Lucifer on this one. The reason why we (or at least I) have such pride in our military is because our military is #1 on the planet, not only in terms of weaponry, tactics, etc, but because we are supposed to be the moral/ethical ones as well. All we are doing is encouraging and antagonizing the ones who want us dead to commit atrocities to an even greater extent.

Better to be pissed off than pissed on? I think the better saying is adding fuel to the fire!
2 wrongs do NOT make a right!

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 12:43:29 AM »
How very Christian of them.

For that matter all the people who defend their actions by suggesting that third world religious zealots desecrate the bodies of Americans.  Apparently having never thought about the concept of piling more wrongs on top of each other.  Fuck you guys.  If you want to put out a fire, slowly pouring gas on it doesn't work well.

Ask yourselves: What makes us better than them? 

The bodies themselves, I could care less about, soldiers are there to kill people, that's what they do.  Don't try to make them into anything other than a fighting force that projects power and you won't be disappointed when you find out that Marines don't make good traffic cops or policemen.

The problem I have with this is that it shows our military, supposedly the greatest and most powerful fighting force that mankind has ever known[1] acting like a bunch of redneck thugs and swaggering pirates. Fuck those guys.  Seriously fuck them, court martial them and end their careers.  They broke the law, and they were stupid enough to film themselves desecrating dead bodies.

Our military is the sword of America.  We shouldn't use it but sparingly, but when we do it should be sharp.  Dickwads like these and actions like Iraq and Afghanistan have blunted it's edge beyond recognition.

1.  depends on who you ask
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 02:02:20 AM »
On my drive home tonight I was listening to a radio host try to make the case that by not allowing our soldiers to piss on dead enemy bodies it demoralizes the troops.  The people that are angry with these soldiers are taking away what little victory celebration they get to enjoy.  If you don't allow soldiers to pee on dead combatants, the terrorists have won.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:14 AM »
If you don't allow soldiers to pee on dead combatants, the terrorists have won.

Too far. Whoever said that needs to have their head examined. Unless they are just saying it for shock value and ratings. Even then it is still an irresponsible thing to say.

I was just trying to bounce off of Nick's humor when I said "It's better to be pissed off than pissed on". I hope, however, that I made my point clear when I said that their conduct was "unprofessional, disgraceful and disrespectful".

Our soldiers are ambassadors. As such, they should behave accordingly.

Now, lets forget about this whole unpleasant mess and go shopping. Because if we stop buying stuff then the terrorists win! 

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »
I have heard about this also. I dont think that it is even remotely right we are better then them by far. When some one looks at this and thinks this is something uncommon of the American solider, until compared to how Americans treat other American. Then what is the difference if our government can pretty much steal, and cheat us among other thing, why should we hold the military to a higher standard then what we hold our own government? 
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »
As it is, I overall despise the US military and its disgusting propaganda. (Same for the UK).

I particularly hate[1] those redneck fucks who join the military just because they get paid to blow shit up and get to be called 'heroes' when they come home... heroes... for participating in the death of thousands of innocent men, women and children in countries they don't know jackshit about.

Let's just say that seeing a group of these assholes pissing on the dead doesn't exactly shift my opinion in a good direction.

I understand that a military force is necessary ... for defense only. Not to go fuck about in someone else's lands.

I also understand celebrating a win ... but pissing on the bodies? War is some serious shit. Killing people is serious shit. Signing up to a killing machine that invades countries it has no business in and kills thousands of innocent people every year ... and then pissing on the bodies in a wave of 'yeehaws' ... no. Sorry. Fuck them.
 1. Yes, I fucking hate 'em
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »
I have heard about this also. I dont think that it is even remotely right we are better then them by far. When some one looks at this and thinks this is something uncommon of the American solider, until compared to how Americans treat other American. Then what is the difference if our government can pretty much steal, and cheat us among other thing, why should we hold the military to a higher standard then what we hold our own government?

What about the standards you hold yourself to?

It was appalling behaviour. Rick Perry says they were just kids. Well maybe America shouldn't be sending kids to do a mans job.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
If they had to piss on the bodies, why in the fuck did they feel the need to videotape it, and then share it?

this.  They should be court martialed for being so bottomlessly stupid.

I bet those marines who pissed on bodies of their enemies do.

you know, there is almost no act of barbarism you cannot excuse if you are always going to use barbarians as your measuring stick.  As Madbunny pointed out, we are supposed to be better than them.  I find it to be a terrible defense to say "oh yeah, well, what would they do if the position was reversed?"  I don't care what they would do.  They are not our role models. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2012, 03:50:34 PM »
There is no excuse for they should not of done it. Considering we hold ourselves to a higher standerd.
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 04:06:52 PM »
What about the standards you hold yourself to?

I hold my self to a high standard. I agree with what plethora had to say. In an age where we can pretty much talk out any situation or use other means, what is the need for war? I think it might be money, the politician want it and dont care about much else. I dont remember who said but there is a quote that states "if you make your money on war, peace does you no good." So again why should we hold these guys to a higher standard when we can not keep our own government to hold a higher stranded? I dont believe in war, war is for third world countries.
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 07:46:01 PM »
Apparently it isn't Babdah.
Feel free to find a period of time when we have *not* been engaged in a military action.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »
Apparently it isn't Babdah.
Feel free to find a period of time when we have *not* been engaged in a military action.
I think the Carter administration is the only administration since Hoover where we were not involved in some kind of military action.

Offline violatedsmurf80

• Graduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 10:27:19 PM »
...They are not our role models... 

Who would be our role models just out of curiosity?
When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”--- Sinclair Lewis

I believe there is something out there watching over us. Unfortunately, it's the government.