Author Topic: God abandons Tebow  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
Re: God abandons Tebow
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »
I guess we could try and define 'miracle' at this point?
Oh here we go. Re-define the miracle when the prayer fails. Let me guess the doctor is a miracle along with the medicine.  &)

What now? I was just wondering if we could establish a definition we're both happy with
Oops! I'm an idiot. :blank:

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2012, 11:06:17 PM »
Does an answer to prayer have to be by miraculous means?

Only if the being allegedly answering the prayer wants that answer to constitute evidence of its existence.

That being is probably quite content that His existence is known and doesn't need to fulfil every demand to prove himself.
So praying to the Jug of milk has the same results.....but then again I see,feel and verify the jug of milk to be a real god
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2012, 10:09:42 AM »
43% of Americans believe God was helping Tim Tebow. 12% believe he might have been helping.

If we accept 15% are non-believers

So helping a hired thug get a oblong ball across a white line more often than another hired thug because he praises that deity a little more fervently is more important that helping children with amputations or world hunger.

At least in the eyes of the majority of believers in America.

I shudder at the sheer stupidity.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:41 AM »
^^ Maybe I missed something...but where do those stats come from?

Because I want 'em. :)
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
^^ Maybe I missed something...but where do those stats come from?

Because I want 'em. :)

I'm a little off but here:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31751_162-57358717-10391697/poll-does-god-help-tebow-win-43-say-yes/
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2012, 02:17:24 PM »
Hey, it comes out now that Tebow was hurt during the 2nd half but played like a man anyhow.  So see, Denver would have won if Tim Boy had not been hurt.  Praise God...John 3:16...and all that sh*t.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +107/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2012, 08:08:58 PM »
could it be that God likes Brady's denomination of Christianity better than he likes Tebows?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline learnin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2012, 12:37:33 AM »

John and Dave both know right from wrong. John discovers that Ben plans to kill 100 people by means of  a suicicde bomb, and is about to do this. All John can do to stop this occurring is to shoot Ben dead. With those facts alone, Dave thinks John is a homicidal maniac. Obviously, that opinion will be changed as soon as the facts are known.

With God, the difficulty many have is that they will never have the big picture - at least, not until it's too late to respond based on the big picture. And many people won't accept the pieces of evidence that do exist for God because they don't have all the facts, and/or because they weigh up the evidence for no God and consider it much greater.

And that is everybody's prerogative.

It's true.  We human beings can't see the whole picture.  But if we can excuse God from refusing to stop an evil act, because he sees the big picture, then, we human beings should refuse to stop an evil act because we can't see the whole picture.  if we intervene, and stop an evil act, without knowing what trick God can pull out of it, then, we might have neutralized the great good that God was going to bring out of the evil act.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »
Hey, it comes out now that Tebow was hurt during the 2nd half but played like a man anyhow.  So see, Denver would have won if Tim Boy had not been hurt.  Praise God...John 3:16...and all that sh*t.

surely this god would have healed his chosen one  &)

and great response, learnin. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »

John and Dave both know right from wrong. John discovers that Ben plans to kill 100 people by means of  a suicicde bomb, and is about to do this. All John can do to stop this occurring is to shoot Ben dead. With those facts alone, Dave thinks John is a homicidal maniac. Obviously, that opinion will be changed as soon as the facts are known.

With God, the difficulty many have is that they will never have the big picture - at least, not until it's too late to respond based on the big picture. And many people won't accept the pieces of evidence that do exist for God because they don't have all the facts, and/or because they weigh up the evidence for no God and consider it much greater.

And that is everybody's prerogative.

It's true.  We human beings can't see the whole picture.  But if we can excuse God from refusing to stop an evil act, because he sees the big picture, then, we human beings should refuse to stop an evil act because we can't see the whole picture.  if we intervene, and stop an evil act, without knowing what trick God can pull out of it, then, we might have neutralized the great good that God was going to bring out of the evil act.

A good number of christians think like this already, it seems. I certainly think many republican politicians have this view.
"In the end theologians are jealous of science, for they are aware that it has greater authority than do their own ways of finding “truth”: dogma, authority, and revelation. Science does find truth, faith does not. " - Jerry Coyne