Author Topic: Book Banning Comes to America  (Read 422 times)

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
Book Banning Comes to America
« on: January 14, 2012, 03:22:36 PM »
Who’s afraid of “The Tempest”?

Apparently Shakespears The Tempest has been banned in schools in Arizona. Along with numerous other books. Looks like Arizona has decided to give Texas a run for its money in the most backward state in America race. My money is still on Texas though.

http://www.salon.com/2012/01/13/whos_afraid_of_the_tempest/
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: Book Banning Comes to America
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 04:24:38 PM »
Pretty soon only coloring books will be legal.  (and the bible)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +300/-32
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
Or Bible-themed colouring books.

Re-posted this on my Facebook.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »
Isn't banning books kind of foolish in todays world where most everything is at your fingertips with the net? &)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »
Well, at least it's a step up from book burning. At least when they are banned, we can still get them over the internet till SOPA hits us.

I forgot, but what was that one book from a US Army man who wrote about about either the Afghan or Iraqi war and the Pentagon tried to ban it although a couple thousands of copies were already sold and put it up on the internet? I'd like to check that book out to be honest.

And for the fun of mentioning it, living in Texas, I'm ready for my order of the Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey to come in! It should scare a few of the Christians here.  ;D

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:12:09 AM »
The Tempest is only the latest on the list of obscene books. In certain areas there have been serious efforts, sometimes successful, to ban the likes of Tom Sawyer (he once pretended to be a girl) and Snow White ( she was shacking up with seven horny little men).  Amazing that the irrepressibly uptight folk can make a problem out of no problem.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:29:21 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments

Found out about this when I was searching for the book, which ended up being Operation Dark Heart by Lt. Col Anthony Shaffer.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »
And for the fun of mentioning it, living in Texas, I'm ready for my order of the Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey to come in! It should scare a few of the Christians here.  ;D

one of the most boring books ever. Rather disappointing  ;D  The Tempest is obscene? 
Mexican-American studies teachers to stay away from any units where “race, ethnicity and oppression are central themes,” including the teaching of Shakespeare’s classic in Mexican-American literature courses.
  Seems that the school district thinks that if we don't tell them what bigots are, they won't know and won't complain.

Cripes, all of Billy wigglestick's works will fall under this.   As will, most of Mark Twain's work, etc etc. 

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 03:51:20 PM »

one of the most boring books ever. Rather disappointing  ;D  The Tempest is obscene? 
Mexican-American studies teachers to stay away from any units where “race, ethnicity and oppression are central themes,” including the teaching of Shakespeare’s classic in Mexican-American literature courses.
  Seems that the school district thinks that if we don't tell them what bigots are, they won't know and won't complain.

Cripes, all of Billy wigglestick's works will fall under this.   As will, most of Mark Twain's work, etc etc.

Bah the Satanic Bible is just a warmed over version of the Playboy philosophy with some mysti-psychobabble poured over top....padded like Olive Oil wearing Beth Chapmans bra.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 11:40:14 PM »

one of the most boring books ever. Rather disappointing  ;D

Bah the Satanic Bible is just a warmed over version of the Playboy philosophy with some mysti-psychobabble poured over top....padded like Olive Oil wearing Beth Chapmans bra.

To each their own.

Kind of funny that I also discovered on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Satanic_Bible

The Satanic Bible has been heavily condemned as dangerous, particularly to adolescents.[18] Attempts have been made, both successfully and unsuccessfully, to ban the book in schools, public libraries, and prisons.[19][20][21]

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:54:24 AM »
They also tried to ban D&D locally, because it has "magic" in it.

Yeah, my Magic Missile with Verbal and Somatic Components which consist of point and say, "Magic Missile" will REALLY cause a blue orb to go flying out reaching a distance of 60' + 10'/level by the end of the round dealing 1d4+1 damage. With an additional orb every odd level until you reach level 9. Riiiiiiiiiight.  &)

Such people cannot ascertain the difference between reality and fantasy. Goes hand-in-hand with believing the BuyBull... I wonder why?  ;D

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
Magic:The Gathering was banned in several countries because of the 'dangerous/satanic' content ... cause, you know, seeing an inverted pentagram is really dangerous!!!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +300/-32
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:03 AM »
My father pretty muched disowned me when I was 12 for playing MtG.  Fucking fundy.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 10:11:39 AM »
if D&D taught real magic, there'd be a lot less annoying people in the world thanks to me. 

Fireball!  Chain Lightning! 

and perfect observation, TruthSeeker.  The Christian "Since I believe in magical nonsense, and I *have* to believe it is true, why then every other bit of magical nonsense is true too!"

"These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons." - Jim, Blazing Saddles
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »
just found this.  Darn, and we could have gotten "real"  &) spellbooks.   (nah, they don't work either)

Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school
According to Strivelli, the principal assured her the school would make available religious texts donated by any group. But when Strivelli showed up at the school with pagan spell books, she was turned away.

"Buncombe County School officials are currently reviewing relevant policies and practices with school board attorneys," the district announced in a written statement. "During this review period, no school in the system will be accepting donations of materials that could be viewed as advocating a particular religion or belief."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/18/pagan-mom-challenges-bibles-in-north-carolina-school/?test=latestnews#ixzz1jvDJqv23
of course, quote standard ignorance and lies by local Christian, who I'm sure is convinced only his version qualifies as TrueChristiantm
"Our country was founded on Judeo-Christian principles, not on Wiccan principles," Bobby Honeycutt, who attended public schools in Weaverville during the 1970s, said.

"Our children have access to more non-Christian print material in the libraries and online than they really do Christian stuff," he said.

golly, I thought you only needed the bible? 

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:55 AM »

"Our children have access to more non-Christian print material in the libraries and online than they really do Christian stuff," he said.

golly, I thought you only needed the bible?

Or there's the basc fact that they're more non-Wiccan stuff than wiccan material in the libraries and online than they really do, or Bhuddist, or Egyptian, or Hayes Auto repair guides.  There's going to be more things on other subject than a given subject....that's pretty basic lady.

Or are you just limiting it to religion? Then I doubt it, let's see:

Google: Christ: 673,000,000 results
             Bhudda: 200,000,000 results
             Zeus:  127,000,000 results
             Atheist 72,600,000 results

Yup.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 02:05:18 PM »

Many Christians have stood up and said they agree with me too," Strivelli said. "Because, as much as they may like the Bible, they don't want Jehovah's Witnesses coming in with Watch Tower (magazines) or Catholics coming in and having them pray the Rosary."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/18/pagan-mom-challenges-bibles-in-north-carolina-school/?test=latestnews#ixzz1jvs38Rc2

Can't argue with her logic. She's exactly right.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 02:08:28 PM »
why is it that one must appeal to the intolerance of these other TrueChristians to get them to do the right thing?

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 02:39:52 PM »
why is it that one must appeal to the intolerance of these other TrueChristians to get them to do the right thing?

I don't think they quite grasp what seperation of church and state actually means. Especially in these small towns. Either you promote all religions, no matter how obscure, or you promote none.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
I happen to own the #1 banned book over the past 5 years, according to the American Library Association.  http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/21stcenturychallenged#2010  What is this terrifying book, you ask?  Let me tell you.

It is a true story of two penguins in the Central Park Zoo who fell in love, built a nest together, and and with the help of the zoo staff, adopted an abandoned penguin egg, hatched it together, and started a family. 

As an adoptive mom living in NYC, I bring my 5 year old daughter to the Central Park Zoo frequently, and I love having a beautiful adoption story to share with her on our zoo visits. 

She LOVES this sweet book, and requests it often. 

Why would this sweet children's book be banned?  Well, of course the two penguins are both male. And they are clearly sinners, damned for all of eternity.   

http://www.amazon.com/Tango-Makes-Three-Justin-Richardson/dp/0689878451

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 08:52:59 AM »
nice story, Quesi. :)  It's a shame that such a nice book is the target of banning.  Of course, anything that tells a certain kind of theist that they are totally wrong is a great source of fear for them.