Author Topic: Mormonism/Romney/President...just some thoughts  (Read 1106 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
Mormonism/Romney/President...just some thoughts
« on: January 14, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »
How many of you have been friends/coworkers/etc. with a Mormon?  I have and they seem to be of the same mind set (cookie cutter mold). I'm sure it is the religious part of Mormonism (or cultish aspect) that makes them this way.  They appear nice and friendly but also at the same time seem apart from the rest of us by design.  Like Islam, Mormonism consumes their daily life though it is not as apparent.  Maybe the secret part of their religion is a part of that perception.  I don't know.  In a lot of ways they seem plastic when dealing with them.  Maybe that is why Romney seems to be having a hard time connection to the average American.  I'm sure as the process moves along the machine will take care of that.  God, the flag, and apple pie will flow from his veins.  It will be interesting to see how he governs as president and relates to the country in times of trouble. (if, that happens)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Mormonism/Romney/President...just some thoughts
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:30:04 AM »
There is a "cult" feeling, I think, towards Mormonism.  They have a lot of work to do if they want to change that perception.  If I were hired by them for Marketing their "place" in society, I would probably just emphasize Jesus as their lord and savior, and leave out all of the Mormon stuff.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
If he or Huntsman get elected, I'm fine with that (I don't want any republican, but I've had to learn to adjust occasionally) as long as taxpayer money isn't used to buy their magic underwear.

Delusions area delusions, and every candidate apparently has them, godwise. So whether I don't like their religion because they are baptists or catholics or mormons doesn't really matter. I'd draw the line at scientologist though.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »
I've worked with a few.  While they were largely competent at their jobs, I can't say that I actually liked any of them despite their immense efforts to 'act normal' with everybody.

As for Romney, he always gives me the impression that he's an alien wearing a human suit.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 01:19:07 PM »
I've worked with a few.  While they were largely competent at their jobs, I can't say that I actually liked any of them despite their immense efforts to 'act normal' with everybody.

As for Romney, he always gives me the impression that he's an alien wearing a human suit.

I have a higher opinion of aliens, I guess.

Romney is sleezy and way out of touch. His comment the other day that poor people were mad at the rich because of envy demonstrates that.

Huntsman hasn't screwed up yet, so I don't know how bad he is. His scientific views are far more consistent with mine than any other rethuglican. That helps.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 02:10:32 PM »
I think I read somewhere that Romney's father was born in Mexico when the family was down there preaching/living to escape the Christians of the US.   wonder if anyone has asked to see Romney's birth cert just to make sure he is not an ancor baby.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 02:15:56 PM »
There is a "cult" feeling, I think, towards Mormonism.  They have a lot of work to do if they want to change that perception. 

I don't think they can change the perception.  The feeling comes from them.  They exude it.  It is an inherent part of their culture to be outsiders, to isolate themselves from the rest of nonMormon society.  Just like with orthodox jews.  They feel superior to and kinda hate the gentiles.  When you make that part of your meme, you will always be an outsider.
I think I read somewhere that Romney's father was born in Mexico when the family was down there preaching/living to escape the Christians of the US.   wonder if anyone has asked to see Romney's birth cert just to make sure he is not an ancor baby.

this^

Huntsman

he's Romney's cousin or something, innit?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 02:25:44 PM »

he's Romney's cousin or something, innit?

They're all related, aren't they? Being that gullible has to be genetic, and hopefully it is limited to just this one population.

Oh yea, the scientologists. Make that two populations.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:14:07 PM »
I'm waiting for an Amish president.

A free barn for everyone.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »
 North of the border, we were all thinking of selling magic long johns.   mittens.   :D
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »
Any RETARD who thinks us Indians are the lost tribe of Israel or that Aricans are black and evil because they are the spawn of Satan can go FUCK themselves
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
Any RETARD who thinks us Indians are the lost tribe of Israel or that Aricans are black and evil because they are the spawn of Satan can go FUCK themselves
With all the crazy shit they have come up with it is amazing they are as big as they are.  I just dont understand it but then I guess you just have to look at Scientology to understand crazy.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 09:41:21 AM »
Last night on the CBS Nightly News, I heard Santorum say that the less moral a society is, the bigger the government. Then Romney was answering reporters saying "Yes, I believe in Jesus. He is my Lord and Saviour."

It's starting to look like a contest of "My Jesus is bigger than your Jesus!"
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
A woman came up to Romney today and told him she did not know how she was going to keep the lights on in her home and she was caring for a sick son.  Romney took out $50 or $60 bucks and gave it to her.  Great humanitarian gesture.  Only problem is he is in favor of cutting back on the very programs that help people like this and is against health care for all which may have helped in this case as well.  I'm sure the $50 bucks will go a long way to helping her out.  Hypocrites all of them. >:(

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
Have you seen Cobert's PAC ad? Since Romney agrees happily that corporations are people, and since he, through Bain Capital, has bought and dismantled several corporations, the PAC ad says he is a serial killer! Great stuff.

The video is included in this article about it:

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2012/01/15/mitt-romney-serial-killer-stephen-colbert/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »
Yeah, Colbert's stuff is great.  And his ad has a point.

The lady who got the $50 from Romney said God told her to track Romney down.  I just don't understand this.  God talks to Republican presidential candidates all the time, to Tim Tebow, to Pat Robertson, and on and on and on.  I don't recall God ever talking to a Democrate.  Just what is the deal here?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 04:18:24 PM »
Yeah, Colbert's stuff is great.  And his ad has a point.

The lady who got the $50 from Romney said God told her to track Romney down.  I just don't understand this.  God talks to Republican presidential candidates all the time, to Tim Tebow, to Pat Robertson, and on and on and on.  I don't recall God ever talking to a Democrate.  Just what is the deal here?

Democrats only listen to good ideas.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2012, 05:59:31 PM »
Have you seen Cobert's PAC ad? Since Romney agrees happily that corporations are people, and since he, through Bain Capital, has bought and dismantled several corporations, the PAC ad says he is a serial killer! Great stuff.

The video is included in this article about it:

http://watching-tv.ew.com/2012/01/15/mitt-romney-serial-killer-stephen-colbert/

It's the first sharpened stick that I've seen come out of Colberts Stewarts pac.  Lets hope we get a lot more of them LOTS more, targeting lots of politicians[1]

1.  including President Obama
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »
What about the positives? Romney could use those Seer Stones, a.k.a. magic rocks with holes in them, to intercept Iran's communications and then use our Native American armies to wipe them out like they did the last time..

It would also help our other soldiers as they would be invincible with their magic underwear!
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 06:28:28 PM »
I don't recall God ever talking to a Democrate.  Just what is the deal here?

Some sort of double standard in the media maybe?

From October 20, 2006

Senator BARACK OBAMA (D-IL): My Bible tells me that if we train a child in the way he should go, when he is old he will not turn from it.

Prof. WILCOX: They fully understand this is a problem, and there's a couple of efforts now in town for think tanks to begin to study the problem -- do surveys, do focus groups to try to figure out how they can frame authentically religious issues in ways that are appealing to Democrats but also don't turn off some other Democratic voters.

LAWTON: Illinois Senator Barack Obama has been one of the most high-profile Democrats to do this, and he is actively urging his fellow Democrats not to run away from faith.

Sen. OBAMA (during speech): Secularists are wrong when they ask believers to leave their religion at the door before entering into the public square.

LAWTON: Eric Sapp is a senior partner at Common Good Strategies, a new consulting firm that tries to help Democrats improve their outreach to religious communities across the spectrum.

ERIC SAPP (Senior Partner, Common Good Strategies): We are trying to create relationships, let people know authentically who we are, let them know that the Democratic Party is open to people of faith.

LAWTON: Some Democratic candidates, such as Maryland gubernatorial hopeful Martin O'Malley, have been holding listening meetings with local clergy.

<snip>

LAWTON: If the Democrats new religious outreach helps lead to success on November 7, experts expect lots more faith-based campaigning going into 2008.

I'm Kim Lawton reporting.

ABERNETHY: Next week, a look at how the Republicans are reaching out to people of faith.

How the Democrats Got Religion

From July 12, 2007

A President has to be a preacher of sorts, instructing, consoling, summoning citizens to sacrifice for some common good. But candidates are competitors, which means they seldom manage to talk about faith in a way that doesn't disturb people, doesn't divide them, doesn't nail campaign posters on the gates of heaven. Republicans have been charged with exploiting religious voters, Democrats with ignoring them: Hillary Clinton's voice gets tight as she recalls the mocking response she received when she first spoke in spiritual terms about the longing that people felt to invest in causes larger than self-interest. "I talked about my faith years ago and was pilloried for it," she says, and it is hard to tell if she is more impatient with the conservatives who presumed they held the patent on piety or with the liberals whose worship of diversity all but excluded the devout.

But maybe, she suggests, candidates have learned something from the holy wars of recent years. "Maybe we're getting back to where people can be who they are," she says. "If faith is an element of who you legitimately, authentically are, great. But don't make it up, don't use it, don't beat people over the head with it."

Because I know how much you guys love FoxNews and especially Bill O'Reilly  ;)

Or, if you prefer, a different source.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
Doesn't she know that god did not like immigrants unless they were slaves to the Hebrews.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Pounamu

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • formerly appeared as "Cadillac"
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 04:16:45 AM »
In regards to Romney's Mormonism, it's nice to see Christianity in US being questioned publicly:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/01/mormonism?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/justasincredible

Piki ake, piki ake ki te ara poutama, ki nga taumatatanga e wairua, hinengaro, tinana!

Offline jedweber

• Fellow
  • Darwins +19/-0
  • Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 11:15:10 AM »
I see your point, jaybwell, but I don't think it's entirely valid. No one is suggesting that Democrats are the party of non-religion. (If they were, they'd lose every election.)  The difference is in the way they invoke it. Democrats, for the most part, will pay tribute to the PRIVATE expression of religion, while still supporting the separation of church and state. Politicians who want Christianity and the Bible to serve as the basis for laws, who claim we're a "Christian nation," etc., are almost always Republicans.   

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:10 PM »
Had a Mormon boss a couple of months once. I could only talk college sports with him 5 minutes and then the small talk ran  out.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +756/-6
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 09:40:57 PM »
I live in mormon country. Or at least the peripherals of it. I know many.

(When I first moved here back in the 80's, I was immediately warned not to succumb to teenage girls trying to lure me into mormonism by hinting they they would marry me if I did.

Either that was a rumor or I really am ugly. But for a short while I had some hope.  :))

Anyway, whenever a mormon gets into a position of bureaucratic power and gets to do the hiring and firing, they tend to start hiring only mormons. Our local semi-public power company is a case in point. And mormon owned companies hire only other mormons. Generally speaking.

Irrelevant except if Romney follows that model, it'll be mormons all the way down. Cabinet positions, political appointees, ambassadors, judges, etc. First thing they'll do is make magic underwear a freebie, then they'll okay multiple wives. I could never handle even one. I'll be in hell.

I hope I'm joking...

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
Good thing Romney has that Mormon problem. He will never be president. Though we could do worse, 4 years later.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
The man makes $57,000+ a day...every day...why is he putting himself thru this and why would he give a sh*t about those of us in the 99%?

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 11:07:26 PM »
I agree with ParkingPlaces, delusion is delusion. Why should Mormons be more vilified than any other believers? I think this paragraph from the link posted by Cadillac explains it pretty well:

"Like most religions, Mormonism has other issues that invite derision, such as its history of polygamy and institutional racism. But its greatest vulnerability may simply be that it is relatively young, so has not yet become established in America's religious pantheon, and that it came of being at a time when good records were kept, which means we are better able to scrutinise its origins. Nevertheless, the divinely-inspired events of two centuries ago are hardly less believable (or unbelievable) than those that preceded them by some two millennia."

They're all nuttier than squirrel shit, IMO, so why does it matter which ridiculous faith they profess?
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 11:11:03 PM »

They're all nuttier than squirrel s**t, IMO, so why does it matter which ridiculous faith they profess?

Welcome to the forum.  I like you already!   ;D