Author Topic: Blessed Assurance by Dr. Harold b. Sightler  (Read 550 times)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Blessed Assurance by Dr. Harold b. Sightler
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:29:13 PM »
I was visiting my parent's house this past week end and I found several awful christian pamplets that my Southern Baptist Preacher father had squirreled away.

I stole one called "Blessed Assurance or How may I know I am saved" By Dr. Harold b. Sightler.

It's funny bad.. but the premise is a good one. If god's power and magic is supposed to enter into a new christian and transform him, how does the christian know when he's saved?

Ponder this.. If god were real and omnipotent, then his presence in your life would be mindblowing wouldn't it? Except in reality it isn't. In reality the new convert just hasn't caught on to the brainwashing con game that is christianity.

anyway, according to this dufus the ways you know you are saved are thus:

1. You know because the bible says so.
2. Your lack of communication with god is because of the unbelievers spirits around you.
3. You can't receive the spirit because you're resisting subconsciously.
4. You can't receive the spirit because you're still doubting.
5. You can't receive the spirit because your not chummy enough with other christians.

Funny how the list does not relate to the question very well, but as I said, this guy is seriously brain addled.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
Re: Blessed Assurance by Dr. Harold b. Sightler
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 01:08:38 AM »
Reason number two is a winner. If you can not feel the spirit its because of those damned atheists. I did not know that we atheists have an aura that can interfere with the best efforts of xtians. Hmmmm...Atheist voodoo eh?

My home is directly across the street from a large baptist church. I have noticed that attendance at the church has fallen steadily over the several years that I have resided here. Another factor in the decline of the church might be the fact that my next door neighbors are a pair of lesbians.  I might add that they are very good neighbors and both of them are educated and sophisticated professionals. The girls next door might have some sort of evil aura too. No wonder the church is in decline. 

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:10:51 AM »
anyway, according to this dufus the ways you know you are saved are thus:

1. You know because the bible says so.
2. Your lack of communication with god is because of the unbelievers spirits around you.
3. You can't receive the spirit because you're resisting subconsciously.
4. You can't receive the spirit because you're still doubting.

5. You can't receive the spirit because your not chummy enough with other christians.

For that to work, wouldn't the "human spirit"[1] be far more powerful than the "spirit" of god?

I know; they don't think that far ahead, but still...
 1. not sure what other word to use
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +1176/-6
  • This space for rent
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 01:45:29 AM »
Not chummy enough? Not chummy enough?

Is chumminess a measurable variable within christian science? Do they have some way to stick a meter up my butt to find out how chummy I am?

It's a good thing I'm an atheist. If my getting into heaven involved not only believing in a skydaddy but being chummy too, I would fail miserably. One or the other might be okay. But both!!!

Chumminess! Now, besides being a wretch and a sinner, I gotta be a chum. I don't think so. I'll stick with non-belief.
What I lack in sophistication I make up for with other shortcomings.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 03:42:12 PM »
Not chummy enough? Not chummy enough?

Is chumminess a measurable variable within christian science? Do they have some way to stick a meter up my butt to find out how chummy I am?

It's a good thing I'm an atheist. If my getting into heaven involved not only believing in a skydaddy but being chummy too, I would fail miserably. One or the other might be okay. But both!!!

Chumminess! Now, besides being a wretch and a sinner, I gotta be a chum. I don't think so. I'll stick with non-belief.

No, no, no.....you dropped a letter there. You gotta be a CHUMP, not a chum.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler