Author Topic: Ok, I REALLY don't get this... (Ginrich/Romney ad)  (Read 283 times)

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Ok, I REALLY don't get this... (Ginrich/Romney ad)
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:42:03 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gingrich-hits-romney-knowing-speak-french-150300235.html

For the most part, I "get" what this ad is trying to say, but the last part just stumps me.  At the 45 second mark, it comments that "just like John Kerry, he speaks french too!"

Uh... so?  What does speaking french has to do with anything?  :?  It's clear that I'm missing something here, but what?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Ok, I REALLY don't get this... (Ginrich/Romney ad)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:46:33 PM »
I speak French, Spanish, English and Portuguese[1]. Where's my prize?
 1. Although I only speak the latter two fluently.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/gingrich-hits-romney-knowing-speak-french-150300235.html

For the most part, I "get" what this ad is trying to say, but the last part just stumps me.  At the 45 second mark, it comments that "just like John Kerry, he speaks french too!"

Uh... so?  What does speaking french has to do with anything?  :?  It's clear that I'm missing something here, but what?

Not just comparing him to democrats but also to two democrats who were defeated by republicans. The add also suggests that Mit is a gutless flip flopper (like Kerry) and speaks French which everybody knows is a pussy language spoken by limp wristed flip floppin pussies. This is Amurika dammit! We eat Freedom fries not French fries!

Yes? No? Maybe?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +721/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
It doesn't have to make any sense. Gingrich has a country to ruin and so he's not pussyfooting around. Pretty soon he'll be telling us that since Romney's house isn't within view of the Statue of Liberty he clearly unamerican.  And that since Romney likes ketchup he is clearly a supporter of Kerry via his wife of the Heinz family. And since Romney has never worked as a logger he is clearly an environmentalist whacko.

He can make up a million of 'em. Being both brainless and spineless, he has no reason to be honest.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:51:14 PM »
Several years ago the French stood up to the US and tried to protect their culture frombeing absorbed by us.  They would not follow in line like the UK does with us.  Remember when it they wanted to change french fries to freedom fries.  So, in the logic of republicans, anyone who speaks French must be an elitist and therefore unAmerican.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:38:20 PM »
It's an appeal to ignorance and inverted snobbery. It plays on that distrust that American conservatives have of people who might be considered intelligent. Because in America intelligence = elitetism. It's saying "don't vote for him. He thinks he's better than you"
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 09:06:00 PM »
Us vs them.  Highlight the differences, repeat ad nauseum as if it means something. 

I recall a crappy RP spot that did the same thing for Huntsman speaking Mandarin.
This will devolve into the usually crap about 'who would you rather have a beer with at a barbecue' comparisons.

What this whole 'they're different, think they're so elite' stuff seems to forget is that *each and every one* of the candidates is a millionaire.  Not a single one has any of the same concerns that the majority of the country cares about.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 08:27:27 AM »
What could be a ironic turn about is that Newt probably speaks French himself. But I really don't think this ad is getting much attention regardless so no biggie.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:21 AM »

Not just comparing him to democrats but also to two democrats who were defeated by republicans. The add also suggests that Mit is a gutless flip flopper (like Kerry) and speaks French which everybody knows is a pussy language spoken by limp wristed flip floppin pussies. This is Amurika dammit! We eat Freedom fries not French fries!

Yes? No? Maybe?

I gave you a plus one for this.  Hilarious, but sadly true in our country because it is a melting pot.  I think that your comment really highlights the disconnect between the southern Midwest/the bible belt and the east coast or west coast.  Frank touched on it very well too Aaron, but I feel, being from southwest Ohio and raised with rednecks abundant in my family, that the psychological masculine inferiority conflict has greater to do with it than does the person's economic status. 
     What I am saying is, if you're from one of the typically blue states that occupy one of our country's coasts, and you were to come even to a deciding swing state such as Ohio and stay to get a taste of different culture for a few weeks; the racism, sexism, and overall stupidity would become incredibly obvious to you in the first day or two.  That is what I was trying to get across. 

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 10:11:44 AM »

What this whole 'they're different, think they're so elite' stuff seems to forget is that *each and every one* of the candidates is a millionaire.  Not a single one has any of the same concerns that the majority of the country cares about.

Of course. Every politician likes to portray themselves as "the common man" at election time. In reality, as you have already pointed out, they are all wealthy individuals who lead lives entirely seperated from 99% of those they would claim to represent. They don't go to work everyday and then slump in front of the TV at night. They don't worry about making ends meet, how they are going to pay the bills. I doubt they even see a bill. It's trivia that someone else fixes for them. As far as I can tell most of them have never had what I would call a real job in their entire lives. They went to straight into politics as soon as they left school. They wouldn't last 5 minutes in the real world that the rest of us inhabit. Their world is expense accounts, back scratching, and shinning up the greasy pole of politics.
Unfortunately people don't have anyone else to vote for. Very few politicians come from a working class background these days. They just like to pretend they do as it's the best way of getting people to vote against their own economic interests.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
Wee wee. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!