Author Topic: Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus...  (Read 3756 times)

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +40/-7
Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus...
« on: January 12, 2012, 05:24:45 PM »
Oh god, look what they've gone and produced now.... My sister just posted this video   &)\

This was my response... along with a link to this site!  ;)
"
Superstition is superstition, no matter how you dress it up or make it look cool with a young, nicely dressed up guy, hip-hopping and rhyming to seemingly good sounding lyrics and tunes. I will say this…. it's a really good marketing campaign for the younger generation for ‘jesus’.

People have always found a way to 'market' jesus to the right demographic of people at that point in time. And if there's one thing that 'jesus' needs moving forward in the future it's marketing towards the young because they're growing up smarter.... and with Google Search! lol - Don"

Here's my poem sort of speak if you're interested I wrote a couple of years ago... it doesn't have any rhyming or music yet.... DVZ3 is me. I guess this video just proves my point!

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,12998.msg287715.html#msg287715

Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Why I Hate Religion, But Love Jesus...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:19:36 AM »
Sorry I could not finish it. Apparently he knows Jesus so well because he sure talks confidently about what jesus hated. That is where most Jesus freaks lose me. When they claim to know what exactly the bible means when it doesn't even say when they quote. We have all heard it. They take a verse or more, and claim it translates to whatever they are throwing at us at the time. I don't have any patience for hearsay.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 11:40:13 AM »
the usual running away of Christians from their religion that their actions have made vile. They don't like the nest that they've shat in so they decide to try to redefine religion. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Vger

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »
Would that be  Evolution for religion?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 12:41:09 PM »
Would that be  Evolution for religion?
well, religion always changes to fit the morals of the day, never the other way around.  I'm guessign that early Christians wouldn't even recognize 99.999999% of the Christians now as being that.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:26:23 PM »
There's a discussion on one of my other forums about this.  Predictably, Super Evangelicals agree while the more traditionalist christers disagree.  It's a forum that's not predicated on any one faith but most people are christers and since I've recently defected, I've been recently labeled "willfully obnoxious," "obtuse," and just yesterday, a troll.  All because I no longer agree with this guy or anyone who disagrees with him for their own delusional reasons.  But watching them discuss this is like watching people discuss which of Santa's reindeer is his favorite.   

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:52:05 PM »

There isn't really much I can think of to say about this.  It's the usual "it's not a religion, it's a relationship" routine.

It's says a lot that they need to redefine the word "religion" just to make their own gobbledygook sound good.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline JL

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • Jin Jing ??...You are beautiful :)
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 07:47:30 AM »
Sorry I could not finish it. Apparently he knows Jesus so well because he sure talks confidently about what jesus hated. That is where most Jesus freaks lose me. When they claim to know what exactly the bible means when it doesn't even say when they quote. We have all heard it. They take a verse or more, and claim it translates to whatever they are throwing at us at the time. I don't have any patience for hearsay.

^^ Me too, I stopped at the first 'What if I told you". Usual marketing/psychological techniques to influence their younger target audience. Sad to say it usually works to a large extent on naive minds.

Let me rebutt vid with this usual phrase you hear in law courts...'I suggest to you that...' :laugh:
"Religion is regarded by the common man as true, the wise man as false, and the rulers as useful"

Now listening to--> Linda Chung 'My Love Story Album'

For Jazz :Exotica by Paul Taylor + The Dream by David Sanborn and Latin Quarter by Marc Antoine

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 07:57:37 AM »
"Why I hate religion, but love a mythical character that doesn't exist outside of religion."

The logic behind this statement is astounding.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 03:59:13 PM »
the video is from an idiot who is with the Mars Hill Church, pastor Mark Driscoll, author of the "Real Marriage" (aka how one more Christian decides his version is the 'right' one) book.  and below the poster evidently based on the book.

a lovely bit of fail.  I think I'd have to educate any "husband" who decided he needed to "pray over" me.  I guess this version of Chrsitainity has husbands intercedeing for their wives since their god can't be bothered to take the call directly.  Horrors if God had to hear a female prayer and have female hands touch his magic book! 

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
the video is from an idiot who is with the Mars Hill Church, pastor Mark Driscoll, author of the "Real Marriage" (aka how one more Christian decides his version is the 'right' one) book.  and below the poster evidently based on the book.

......wow ..........advertising your planned child abuse way into the future

idiots rule
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
The video is obviously trying to sucker budding agnostics and atheists back into the cult by claiming it's not the usual cult. It's catchy and well done, unfortunately. But religion is excellent at manipulating people.

As for the poster, the creepiest part for me was this: "And my grandchildren will worship the same god as me, because my children will worship the same god as me." A little totalitarianism anyone?
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline GodisRealDuh

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 03:47:16 AM »
True Christians do NOT try to change the Bible in any way.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 04:32:41 AM »

Why was it translated into english then?

Actually I look at your name and it is hard for me not to respond to the statement that it is.

God is real Duh
....is that opposed to false Duh?
So god is made out of real Duh
not Play Duh

what is Duh?
Dubious unsubstantiated histrionics.

or is it some sort of sour dough
because I know dough is money,
and money is god
and religions (including most christian denominations) love money (so do the ministers and priests and bishops and popes)

Have you ever noticed how the religions are categorised into denominations?
.............exactly the same as banknotes
It isn't a coincidence.

So god is real duh
amazing how well you've captured the first sound of the word dumb
I know it must be embarrassing for you to forget the "m" let alone dealing with the pesky silent "b"
but you'll find this forum of atheists are very forgiving of theists like yourself
who visit here with "attitude"
and poor spelling and grammar
you are not the first

or have you got a bad head cold and I really owe you an apology for misreading your intention

perhaps it would help clear it up if I just told you
god 'snot what you think.

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 04:41:42 AM »
I hate fiction, but I love Bugs Bunny.  DUH.
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline pingnak

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 05:44:17 AM »
Of course evolution is real.

Look how religion evolves like a virus, rotting human minds.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 05:52:41 AM »
***ing magnets: How do they work?

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 08:53:34 AM »

I lost my faith as a direct result of reading the BuyBull. Since you indicated yourself as female, you would be in for a rude awakening if you read it, instead of only the verses you're "supposed to" read. On one hand you have women being compared to oxen, then you have the All-Loving Jesus equate women to dogs that don't have a right to eat at the table like a man but to eat the scraps that fall to the floor.

How many versions of the BuyBull are there? Lots. Each one of them copyrighted. Each one different enough to not be sued for plagerism, so how do you know which one is the "real" one? Let me guess.... It's the one your minister of the one in 38,000 flavors of Christianity prefers, right?

Bolded: They do, but they don't "try" to...  &)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 08:56:03 AM »

I lost my faith as a direct result of reading the BuyBull. Since you indicated yourself as female, you would be in for a rude awakening if you read it, instead of only the verses you're "supposed to" read.

That's for sure.

On one hand you have women being compared to oxen, then you have the All-Loving Jesus equate women to dogs that don't have a right to eat at the table like a man but to eat the scraps that fall to the floor.

And she doesn't even want to know what the Bible says is supposed to happen if she ever gets raped.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »
I actually like his argument. It has all sorts of other uses.

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35roow/

Logic is a funny thing, isn't it?
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 09:17:03 AM »

Hmmm, a "true Christian"?  So define this mysterious beast, tell me what a TrueChristiantm is? 

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
I rather like the disection of the stupidity by The Amazing Atheist.

Yes, by the end there's a not so subtle attempt to redefine Christianity as not a religion. Odd how we get Christians trying to redefine Christianity into something other than a religion, yet want to define Atheism as a religion.

And then they wonder why the term "Liars for Christ" comes to us so easily.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »

I'm picturing this punk for jesus having the guts to stand face to face with a muslim jihadist in Afghanistan and doing his little ditty for him.....Me thinks that the muslim would take umbrage.. No ?  ;)

I can only feel pity for a young man like this who debases himself so thoroughly for the world to see....... "now that I know jesus I boast in my weakness" . Only a deeply disturbed person shows pride in and gains self satisfaction out of their faults and failures in life, and who does so in the belief that the scapegoating action of another innocent individual has exonerated them from the responsibilities and consequences of those faults and actions. 
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:22 AM »

Which Bible?

Betcha anything you like that the Bible YOU just happen to use will be the "right" one....thus coincidentally making YOU a True ChristianTM.

Amazing how often we hear that!

Equally amazing that all the people making that claim are using different Bibles.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »
oh yeah mars hill i regret not ever checking out that church.   seemed pretty chill and laid back.    a lot of my friends have went there in the past.   i went to some similar churches in the past.   its basically like attending a free motivation speaker conference every week, with religion thrown in.     still haven't found a good replacement for it.   although i've been toying with the idea in my head of going back to church again because i miss the community and the uplifting component of it, i don't think i'd ever be able to stomach the religion part.   

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 02:36:08 PM »
also of course they're trying to redefine their religion.   religion is not a static thing.   its evolved over the years.    christianity used to be really terrible in the middle ages, but its gotten less terrible over the centuries.     islam has mostly been terrible, but there's been a few strains of it (such as in southeast asia) that are showing progress.

this is progress.    religion is never really going to go away, so if people are trying to change it up, then thank god.   

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »
The reason Religion changes, evolves, is because it did not come from an All-Knowing Perfect God. Just as you can read Exodus and see how Moses' Policies change and he starts delegating authority because he, the shaman, got tired day after day after day of not being able to do anything because people were too stupid to think for themselves and wanted Moses to tell them how to do everything, everything, from picking thier nose to fucking.

He even declares no divorce what-so-ever, but when the people rebelled he changed to to infedelity only. So why was the All-Powerful God, those he can smite with Earthquakes, bears, floods, ressurect the dead, etc. aftraid of a few humans? He should have let them kill Moses. Then Bring him back from the dead and start smiting! "Obey me Mofos!" Aren't the Jews his creation to do with what he wants? 

I'll reiterate: If the Bible, is from a Perfect God and inerrant (2 Tim 3:16, among many others) then any "redefining" and evolving will only make it less than what the Perfect God wanted. The original Bible is the Rule, the rest are copies of copies. Like carpentry, you always use the original cut piece to compare to and measure from. Any "redefining" and evolution from using copies of copies will leave you with something completely messed up.

so if people are trying to change it up, then thank god.   

Why thank God for what people do?  People are doing it, not God. Besides, as the Bible says, the reason people would want to change religion to something that will appeal to the masses, is out of rebellion. It is man's nature to rebel. Remember, you rejected Perfection the moment you chose to be born. You're forever tainted with sin and deserve to burn in hell forever and ever for what you had done. God's Perfection is as revolting to us, as we sinners are to him. He cannot stand our presence because of our sin, and if we were in his presence, his perfection would kill us. People don't want to be perfect, they don't even want to try... they just clamor about "grace" and be done with it, ignoring the whole required repentance aspect.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Ahh here it is:

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
http://www.goddiscussion.com/89568/why-i-hate-religion-but-love-jesus-going-viral-on-youtube/

Some more coverage of the video, funneling more views to the site.

"I hate obesity, but I love eating."