Author Topic: Laminins  (Read 449 times)

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
Laminins
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:32:42 PM »
My sis-n-law asked me if I knew what laminins were, and I said I thot they were amino acids. She said yeah and then showed me a picture of a drawing of a laminin molecule. After I got home, I checked it out and discovered it is actual a protein. Here is part of an email I sent her:

It’s very interesting that the human brain is like a pattern seeking missile, honing in on anything and everything and seeing patterns to help make sense of it.  Jesus on toast, and Jay Leno on a potato chip. That sort of thing.

Michael Shermer coined a word for it, “paternicity. Shermer is a science writer and has a column in Scientific American, so I have read a lot of his stuff over the years. He coined another word, “agenticity.” This is where one ascribes meaning or agency to a pattern. There are scientific terms for this used by psychologists and such, but I like the simplicity of Shermer’s coinage.

I suppose if one is a doctor they might look at a laminin protein  with an electron microscope and see a caduceus. A fencer might see a sword, and a Christian might see a cross. Of course most of these micrographs don’t look anything like the drawings one sees of the structure of the laminin molecules.(I got this idea from snopes.com).

There are lots of t-shaped patterns in nature, so I’m not surprised at all that Louie Giglio would find this and relate it to scripture during a Christian rock concert: And he is before all things, and by him all things are held together- Colossians 1:17. An impressionable group of Christians are easily influenced by the suggestion. Makes perfect sense to me. A couple of things comes to mind, though.

From the POV of a scientist, laminins are glycoproteins which aid in binding cell membranes  together and  also make a great culture in the petri dish. They do a lot more than hold us together, they help in cell differentiation and other things. When they mess up, bad things happen like muscular dystrophy. If this is God’s design, then He should get the credit for that too.

To look at this from a Christian POV, perhaps you should consider that one shouldn’t use something out side of the Word to prove the Word. A finite human understanding to “prove” the infinite wisdom of God? It should be the other way around. Few micrographs show the cross shape, and there is debate that the crucifix was cross shaped to begin with.

Finally, laminins are proteins. They don’t hold everything together. Does that mean that the word of God is not true?
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: Laminins
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 02:42:14 PM »
ah, the laminin silliness is still floating around, eh? 

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
Yeah, I also reminded my brother that he had said to me once that he used the bible to judge science, and the response I received back this was this:

Even after finding out about Fermions, Quarks, Leptons, hadrons, and bosons, etc., Scientists realize that there is still something else that holds everything together. That is why they are now searching for the "Higgs Boson"--the "God particle".

And he is before all things, and by him all things are held together. Colossians 1:17

At least it got a dialog going between me and my brother. It is getting interesting!
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:49:46 PM »
Yeah, I also reminded my brother that he had said to me once that he used the bible to judge science <snip>

Ask him about the cure for leprosy[1].
 1. IIRC it was leprosy, but I'm not sure.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:52:14 PM »
Yeah, I also reminded my brother that he had said to me once that he used the bible to judge science <snip>

Ask him about the cure for leprosy[1].
 1. IIRC it was leprosy, but I'm not sure.
What do you mean? 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 02:55:34 PM »
I think Lucifer's referring to the nonsense in the bible that has the cure for leperosy having to do with dove's blood, etc.

and so sad that idiots have to use the "god particle" as their own deseprate last gasp, a reference to neither their god nor any other god. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:58:13 PM »
Oh yeah.

I then went:
The Higgs Boson is the last particle predicted by the Standard Model of physics. A very small gap in which to place God.

Which led to him asking me who I thot Jesus was....and it continues from one subject to another. I am trying to link them all together, so he can't weasel out. It's like nailing jello to the cross!

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 03:46:13 PM »
Even Snopes has this one on their radar http://www.snopes.com/glurge/laminin.asp
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
Thanx for providing the link. It's where I came up with:

I suppose if one is a doctor they might look at a laminin protein  with an electron microscope and see a caduceus. A fencer might see a sword, and a Christian might see a cross. Of course most of these micrographs don’t look anything like the drawings one sees of the structure of the laminin molecules.(I got this idea from snopes.com).

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:03:26 AM »
The representation of laminin I fist encountered was something like this http://www.springerimages.com/Images/Biomedicine/1-10.1007_s00441-009-0866-y-0

Which to me looked most like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-15

So ... Stalin was god after all?
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 09:27:22 AM »
monkeymind, you mentioned the "God Particle" above. The author of the book wanted to call it the "God-damned particle" but the editor didn't like that. Hence the name it was published with. So it wasn't the scientist's idea to call it that.

Just another little bit of info to help fend off the theists. Sadly, then they'll say the  "J" in jesus, when looked at cross-eyed (pun intended) looked like a crucifix. We can't win for loosing.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 10:53:04 AM »
monkeymind, you mentioned the "God Particle" above. The author of the book wanted to call it the "God-damned particle" but the editor didn't like that. Hence the name it was published with. So it wasn't the scientist's idea to call it that.

really? well, then I'll just curse the editor.   :)

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
Yes, thanx for bringing that up. PP ^^^

I did see just now I put that in my email to my bro, he didn't respond to that...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:00:39 AM by monkeymind »

Offline flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +50/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »
What I love about this stuff is that on the one hand, Xians say you have to accept god and Jesus on the basis of 'faith'...that if there were proof of god and Jesus, then one would not have to have 'faith,' therefore there would be no point to the whole thing.

Yet on the other hand, Xians are always pointing to dubious 'proof' and dubious 'evidence' to support their belief in god and Jesus. 

It seems to me that if you really had 'faith,' you wouldn't all the 'proof' and 'evidence.'