<<------ photos of God creating the universe, the Hebrew way
JTP, before criticizing other people's cosmologies, you should have a look at your own. Jesus warned about people who had beams in their eye, while other people only had splinters.
Like you, I payed little attention to what Genesis actually said, because I could not make physical sense of its gibberish. Then somebody made a remark, and it all became clear how the Hebrews thought the world was created, and how totally childish it was.
A careful observer will notice that
1) God creates day and night, 3 days prior to the sun, moon and stars. This is scientifically moronic. The Hebrew who wrote Genesis believed that day time was a property of the upper heavens, and that you could have 3 cycles of day and night, before God needed to create the sun.
2) God created the blue sky by separating water, using a "firmament". The heavenly daylight, then shone through the upper water, and made the blue sky. The Hebrew was not aware that the sun creates the blue sky, by oxygen scattering.
3) God created plants one day prior to the sun
4) The sun and the moon merely "rule" the day and night, respectively. Genesis never notes that the sun causes day, and the moon is reflecting sun. The Hebrew who wrote this, believed that the moon was luminous, and stayed in the night time. Also, he makes no mention of planets, because they were not understood back then.
5) The sun moon and stars are in the firmament, below the water.
6) Genesis 20 says that the fowl also fly in the firmament. So, presumably, fowl can fly to the sun, but not through the upper water.
7) Genesis 30 says that all humans and animals are vegetarian
8) Genesis 27 says that man is made in the image of God. So, we have no idea of what this human even looked like.
If you were to believe that this description in Genesis had anything to do with the real world, then I can only suggest you get your head amputated, because that is the only thing that will save you intellectually. NASCAR is not good enough. You have to remove your whole head.
Having demonstrated that Genesis is describing the formation of a different planet, perhaps in a different universe, I put it to you, that you should not ridicule science's attempt to find out what happened in this universe.