Author Topic: ATHEISTS who have committed mass murders and genocide in the 20th century  (Read 20467 times)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
Re: ATHEISTS who have committed mass murders and genocide in the 20th century
« Reply #580 on: January 22, 2012, 05:27:56 PM »
Lets look at this,Canada-colonized by Britian

Actually colonized by Britain and France. The French were then booted out by the British.
Colonized ......the Queen is on our money....the British won....the French are still a pain in the English ass here in Canada

BTW I forgot to mention Ireland and Scotland as others COLONIZED by the Brits
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 05:29:40 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #581 on: January 22, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
Colonized ......the Queen is on our money....the British won....the French are still a pain in the English ass here in Canada

That's debatable. The french aren't really any worse than most of the other provinces and groups here. It's the downside into forming a country by legislation and treaty rather than by conquest.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #582 on: January 22, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »
I meant politically,they are a pain in the English ass.

The Canadian Government has on signed a handfull of treaties,,,,my people are still waiting
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #583 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »
A great example of a thread derailed by off-topic crap.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +119/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #584 on: February 02, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »
A great example of a thread derailed by off-topic crap.

Meh.  As a topic it comes up every now and then and tends to be quickly shot down.
There really are not any examples of mass murder and genocide being committed in the name of 'atheism'.

No real surprise then that it didn't stick very long.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #585 on: February 02, 2012, 04:22:48 PM »
Lets look at this,Canada-colonized by Britian

Actually colonized by Britain and France. The French were then booted out by the British.

BTW I forgot to mention Ireland and Scotland as others COLONIZED by the Brits

It's hard to deny that the British were the world's best colonizers. They owned 25% of the entire planet by WWI. Pretty damn amazing for a handful of pale, inbred, egotistical boat people from some cold, gray little islands.

Besides the destruction of indigenous communities in India, Africa and Australia, Brits are to blame for inventing the concentration camp during the Boer War, and for creating the mess that is the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. Hail, Britannia. They were pretty religious, too, btw. :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #586 on: February 03, 2012, 06:14:49 AM »
It's hard to deny that the British were the world's best colonizers. They owned 25% of the entire planet by WWI. Pretty damn amazing....

Yay us!  Yay us!  Yay us!

....for a handful of pale, inbred, egotistical boat people from some cold, gray little islands.

Yay us!  Yay....what? 

Besides the destruction of indigenous communities in India, Africa and Australia, Brits are to blame for inventing the concentration camp during the Boer War, and for creating the mess that is the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

I'll get me coat.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #587 on: February 03, 2012, 08:18:22 AM »
It's hard to deny that the British were the world's best colonizers. They owned 25% of the entire planet by WWI. Pretty damn amazing....

*Cough*PortuguesepeopledividedthewholeworldwiththeSpanish,effectivelyowning50%ofitbeforetheUKevenstartedcolonizing*Cough*
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #588 on: February 03, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »

*Cough*PortuguesepeopledividedthewholeworldwiththeSpanish,effectivelyowning50%ofitbeforetheUKevenstartedcolonizing*Cough*

Yes, the Treaty of Tordesillas,  but did they hev a fleg? (Eddie Izzard ref.)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline architect

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #589 on: February 11, 2012, 06:36:17 PM »
ever heard of the crusades? knights in armor killing and pillaging in the name of god?

Offline theFLEW

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • Ron Paul for President
« Reply #590 on: February 11, 2012, 07:25:14 PM »
OK, I simply had to read the first few posts of this topic to understand that it would spiral hopelessly out of control.  He's a "crazy" fact for you, if you as a Christian assume that God truly has the power over life and death, then God takes the life of over 50 million people EVERY SINGLE DAY!  I say this, as a Christian, to point out that the argument isn't truly "who's killed more people", but instead "where does authority to take life come from?"  Do I have a right?  Do you?  Did Pol Pot?  Does God?  Why are these lives taken to begin with?  Is there justification?  Anyways, just pointing out that these types of posts NEVER end well, trust me, I've been there ;)
"...and how much naivety, venerable, childlike and boundlessly stupid naivety there is in the scholar's belief in his superiority, in the good conscience of his tolerance, in the simply unsuspecting certainty with which his instinct treats the religious man as an inferior..." - F. Nietzsche

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #591 on: February 11, 2012, 07:57:53 PM »
I say this, as a Christian, to point out that the argument isn't truly "who's killed more people", but instead "where does authority to take life come from?"

I think that most human beings with an ethical standard, regardless of their religious beliefs, would agree that that's a fair question.

Do I have a right?

Under certain circumstances, yes.

Do you?

Same answer.

Did Pol Pot?

Originally, he did.  However, he later forfeited that right as a result of his own behavior.  (q.v., the right to vote)

Does God?

Before asking whether Yahweh has any rights, it must first be established whether he exists.  Unless you want to debate the matter in a purely speculative "in universe" sense (e.g., "Did Han have the right to shoot first?")

Why are these lives taken to begin with?

Question too broad to be answered; which lives are taken would need to be specified before a response may be possible.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #592 on: February 11, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »
OK, I simply had to read the first few posts of this topic to understand that it would spiral hopelessly out of control.  He's a "crazy" fact for you, if you as a Christian assume that God truly has the power over life and death, then God takes the life of over 50 million people EVERY SINGLE DAY!  I say this, as a Christian, to point out that the argument isn't truly "who's killed more people", but instead "where does authority to take life come from?"  Do I have a right?  Do you?  Did Pol Pot?  Does God?  Why are these lives taken to begin with?  Is there justification?  Anyways, just pointing out that these types of posts NEVER end well, trust me, I've been there ;)

I see you're still as vapid and shallow as ever NTS, or Flew, or whatever name you choose to use.

This is the one thing I've never understood about you. If you're not going to even bother putting the slightest bit of thought into what you're going to say or into the topic, (not to mention that you're completely intellectually unprepared to even begin an actual discussion with everyone here) why bother even posting it in the first place?

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline theFLEW

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • Ron Paul for President
« Reply #593 on: February 12, 2012, 01:38:35 AM »
In both cases, after a rather massive hiatus (both times due to school), I find time to post, and thus, I do.  In the case of the former name, I don't remember the exact reason why a had to make a new name, I was either moderated to an insurmountable nth degree from posting, or I simply couldn't wade through the mass of then and now dead topics.  I think it was like half a year ago?  At any rate, I digress.  I'm going to be more choosing in what type of "debates" I willingly (or not so willingly) get myself into ;) So....that's the situation, take it or leave it, I'm fine with whatever the decision ultimately is.

I would just point out that I do not think one should think so superficially (yes, at times rudely) of another's intellectual level on these boards.  The inherent problem we all face on these boards is that it is immensely easy to say something, and by extension, to make judgements on someone, who is not in the same room, sharing the same space as you.  Look at it this way, if two people were in a prisoner of war camp, and had to share a cell, though disagreements would surely occur, cordiality would be of highest necessity because of the given arrangement.  I think it is highly appropriate to have that same mindset when in discourse here in this arena.  Am I the "knight in shining armor" example of this?  Certainly not, but I can do better; really everyone can.  Now I know my quote thingy might give another impression, but take the "snippiness" with a grain of salt, because really the exact same thing Nietzsche said of a secular scholar applies in reverse to the religious scholar.  Im not above anyone here, but for the record, Nietzsche evens the playing field ;)
"...and how much naivety, venerable, childlike and boundlessly stupid naivety there is in the scholar's belief in his superiority, in the good conscience of his tolerance, in the simply unsuspecting certainty with which his instinct treats the religious man as an inferior..." - F. Nietzsche

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #594 on: February 13, 2012, 09:31:04 AM »
Respect and cordiality are earned, Flew.  I do not give them out on demand.  And your god, being imaginary, rates no respect or belief at all.  It's so very sad that you seem to equate "right to take life" with the power you belief that this supernatural character has.  Might equals right, a typical Christian response.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #595 on: February 13, 2012, 05:23:25 PM »
In both cases, after a rather massive hiatus (both times due to school), I find time to post, and thus, I do.  In the case of the former name, I don't remember the exact reason why a had to make a new name, I was either moderated to an insurmountable nth degree from posting, or I simply couldn't wade through the mass of then and now dead topics.

Really? You don't? Because I can remind you if you'd like.

I believe your send off was something lik this:

You don't need to bother.  I'm done on these boards.  I'm setting up a Wordpress blog to answer the question.  I'll be posting the link shortly.  If people want to comment, they will be more than welcome to.  But this board is seriously like Communist China.  I'm being "watched" and I get messages from mods all day long about rules I'm breaking when their really only enforced in a bigoted sort of way.  Hmmm, irony?  Anyways, it's been great talking with Lady and Timo and Screwtape.  I hope you guys will stop by the blog.  Again, I'll probably post the link tomorrow.

And ultimately it's intellectual bigotry.  There is a deep, underlining hypocrisy that lurks behind the intentions of this board, and that is this: a charade of true skepticism.  This board is truly worse than Bill O'Reilly, and that man is insufferable.  You don't wave the flag of science, you hide behind it; you use it as a smokescreen to mask the sore truth that you, just like any other person on this board, has the capability to be wrong.  You, someone of no religion, protects this like a religion.  Ever heard of scientism?  I'm sure you have.  That is your god.  You have gone over the intellectual deep end of bigotry, and have forsaken true empiricism.  Now it is no longer what we might find; it is what we must find in nature to dictate reality.  To this I have nothing to say except for the fact that you would make a poor scientist.  Look, you don't have to believe in a god, but at least be intellectually honest.

Let's also not overlook that you are without question the most vapid pseudo-intellectual I have ever encountered.

Is it any wonder that you tried to change your name (against the rules) before you came back?

If you'd like we can go back and revisit your old threads as well. Just to jog your, apparently failing, grey matter.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,18150.msg403596.html#msg403596

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,17926.msg404625.html#msg404625

I would just point out that I do not think one should think so superficially (yes, at times rudely) of another's intellectual level on these boards. 

I would like to point out that one should demonstrate intellect, NTS.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #596 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:29 PM »
Another take if NONE of these people had been killed there is a very high likelihood even more would have died as a direct result of overpopulation and famine and disease and/or wars. That doesn't make mass murder any more glamorous, but MM does tend to cleanse the gene pool from time to time regardless of the culprit.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:30:22 PM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #597 on: February 14, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »
unfortunately, atheola, mass murder is usual either random or targets the best and brightest.

and hmmm, I had missed that flew was NTS.  how not suprising to find that out.   I suspect much praying was done and assumption that said prayer would make a difference *this* time around.   &)
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #598 on: February 14, 2012, 11:05:28 AM »
Aww c'mon velky.. a little mass murder's good for ya. I know LOTS of people a smidgen of mass murder could help. Well...it might not really help them, but it damned sure might make the rest our lives a hellova lot easier...and...it'll speed up that going to heaven process for them. :o
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:08:24 AM by atheola »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #599 on: February 14, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »
Aww c'mon velky.. a little mass murder's good for ya. I know LOTS of people a smidgen of mass murder could help. Well...it might not really help them, but it damned sure might make the rest our lives a hellova lot easier...and...it'll speed up that going to heaven process for them. :o
;D

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #600 on: February 14, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
and hmmm, I had missed that flew was NTS.  how not suprising to find that out.   I suspect much praying was done and assumption that said prayer would make a difference *this* time around.   &)

He's actually used other socks as well. For someone who didn't want to be here he comes back fairly often.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #601 on: February 14, 2012, 04:17:58 PM »
......praying nobody notices...puhleeeeez gawd! :angel:
Flew..if you don't like 'snippiness' then don't write dumb stuff OR just grow some skin so as to make your own a little thicker.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:25:27 PM by atheola »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #602 on: February 14, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »
......praying nobody notices...puhleeeeez gawd! :angel:

pity that the tubes full of cats and their techology has defeated this god too.  not so good a batting average anymore, this god.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #603 on: February 14, 2012, 04:33:51 PM »
It's his PR firm, catholicism, protestant and vanzetti..they let all that mass murder and hell stuff leak.

Offline theFLEW

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • Ron Paul for President
« Reply #604 on: February 14, 2012, 05:10:51 PM »
In brief to reply:

I suppose as I have worked this all out, I’ve found that the debate “circle” or “arena” or whatever you want to call it can sometime prove immensely detrimental to the entire process of genial discourse (and as I would and have also argued, constructive discourse).  Really, it’s shocking to go back and read what one actually says to people.

That being said, it was fun, and interesting, going back and read stuff from almost a year ago.  Don’t get me wrong, there was definitely a lot of back and forth that was really good, but also a lot that was ultimately unhelpful.  I would never consider the topics dead, but sometimes “necromancing” from older topics can prove to be better suited with a fresh approach, namely because their key points and ideas usually have become “mudded over” with hyperbolic emotions and grandiose rabbit trails.  You could actually probably test this, and put a page number on it, i.e. whenever the thread reaches “x” amount of pages, the main points and/or theme of the thread has been lost or changed.  I think that this is truly the fate of online message boards, but I do come back to them with the voracity of one who has a distinctly sublime appreciation for new thoughts and ideas.

Yes, I do see that NTS said he would never come back, but I believe that one can return with new approaches.  What I had removed myself from was the insurmountability of the self-inflicted tasks I had presented myself with.  For example, who in their right mind starts a post which asks non-theists to post ever contradiction in the Bible, and does so with any hope of address the flood of responses (in case anyone is wondering, that was me)?  It’s simply not feasible, or ultimately, helpful.  Suffice it to say it will never be attempted again in that capacity.

So what is helpful?  I feel like I’ve touched on this before (in fact I know I have somewhere), and what I found is that in this type of arena, it is better to simply state your beliefs as clearly and consistently as possible, and make no subsequent attempt to push them onto others.  Have I done this perfectly?  No, obviously no.

On a somewhat related note, I think it’s also important to understand one’s own limitations, and being that I am a living and breathing person, my goal is not to “live in a virtual world”.  I mean, I could easily compare my time spent here with the time one might spend playing WOW (which I don’t play, so don’t ask), and ultimately through this, even the “pursuit of knowledge” (or whatever you may call the endeavors of this board) can prove unhealthy.  Is pursuing knowledge unhealthy?  Absolutely not, but I think that it’s just as important to do so with people “in the flesh” (there are a lot of people here who need a vacation from the virtual world, just saying, "old places, old faces").  I believe that doing this is not only beneficial for the pursuit itself, but perhaps better for the mind and the emotions in general.  Like I’ve noted before, there are many things said on these boards that would never been said in person or public out of respect for the individual.  In other words, the art of polite exchange is being lost.  I believe that boards like this have a tendency to breed bitterness, and a bitterness, when investigated, which really bares no substance beyond an offhanded remark of vicious ad hominem.  Words do bear a great deal of power.  Indeed, “the tongue has the power of life and death,” and how we use them is very important.

So, in a personal apologetic of sorts, I would say that I will be careful in how I proceed.  I really enjoy posting things of interest, and presenting personal opinions on matters, but I have not returned brandishing a sword.  I find personal vendettas much too time consuming ;)

line breaks added
~Screwtape
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:03:52 AM by screwtape »

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #605 on: February 14, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »
Ugh, this is trite and inane.

NTS, there's a reason they say brevity is the soul of wit.

For fucks sake say something of substance.

Just once.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #606 on: February 15, 2012, 03:36:35 AM »
I've precised.....
What I said before was shocking.  But I'm not apologising.  Because I'm a new person now.  I was stupid before.  From now on I will state my beliefs but not debate them.  I'm busy in the real world, so don't expect answers.  By the way, you're all rude and bitter.  But not me any more - like I said, I'm different now.
Oh, and in my first post since coming back under a new name, I'll post the ridiculous questions I promised I wouldn't ask, and give you all the benefit of my wisdom on how dumb you were to start this thread.

Gosh.  Really looking forward to seeing how your new persona works out.  I particularly like the way that you passed off opening a new account when the old one was under moderation with the wonderful excuse "because I wanted to".  No apology - clearly that's not part of the "new you".  Just the continuance of "I'm right, whatever I do is right, so there!".

Where, exactly, is the difference between the "old" and "new" you?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #607 on: February 15, 2012, 06:35:47 AM »
Correction, Anfauglir. Three new accounts after the NTS account was moderated.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #608 on: February 15, 2012, 07:32:22 AM »
Correction, Anfauglir. Three new accounts after the NTS account was moderated.

.....my goal is not to “live in a virtual world”.......

Hmmm.  One of you is lying, it would seem.  If Flew is as unwilling as he says to live in a virtual world on a forum he mistrusts, no WAY would he have been trying so much to get back on here.  But if he has opened three new accounts to try to post here, then all his talk of limited time and desire to engage with us just can't be truthful.

Gosh, I just don't know who to believe any more!!!