Author Topic: Is the Christian God genocidal?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +74/-7
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
Is the Christian God genocidal?
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:54:05 PM »
The definition of genocide according to answers.com is

The systematic and planned extermination of an entire national, racial, political, or ethnic group.

Now, even if we discard the writings of the Old Testament, is it not true that the God of the New Testament is not supposed to resurrect ALL people and then subject non-believers to the lake of fire, or the "second death"? Therefore, while Christians want to look past the genocidal tendencies of the description of the OT god, Yahweh, how is the future planned annihilation (at best) not genocide? For sake of argument, we'll pretend that the predominant view of eternal suffering in hell is not "true" for this topic.
I've been struggling with racism lately. I recently came to the realization that I tend to dislike people with fake orange skin and stubby fingers.

Offline Lessetti

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Is the Christian God genocidal?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 05:50:33 AM »
if you go by the definition of Genocide, yes in fact, but you appear to have some facts wrong, to me it appears you are equating Hell to the lake of fire, a common mistake, but they are two separate entities, Hell is simply described as the absence of God, and the lake of fire is... well, the lake of fire, also another misconception people have is that the god of the main three monotheistic religions is different, this is not true, He is the same god in all three of those, the difference is what they believe He asks us to do. Anyways, there can be many translations of Revelations 21:8, and assuming the bible is right and that specific version of that god exists, he is in fact planning genocide

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »
if you go by the definition of Genocide, yes in fact, but you appear to have some facts wrong, to me it appears you are equating Hell to the lake of fire, a common mistake, but they are two separate entities, Hell is simply described as the absence of God, and the lake of fire is... well, the lake of fire, also another misconception people have is that the god of the main three monotheistic religions is different, this is not true, He is the same god in all three of those, the difference is what they believe He asks us to do. Anyways, there can be many translations of Revelations 21:8, and assuming the bible is right and that specific version of that god exists, he is in fact planning genocide

That's the neat thing about mythology, all intrep tations are equally valid because they describe something that does not exist.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 09:11:27 AM »
The definition of genocide according to answers.com is

The systematic and planned extermination of an entire national, racial, political, or ethnic group.

Now, even if we discard the writings of the Old Testament, is it not true that the God of the New Testament is not supposed to resurrect ALL people and then subject non-believers to the lake of fire, or the "second death"? Therefore, while Christians want to look past the genocidal tendencies of the description of the OT god, Yahweh, how is the future planned annihilation (at best) not genocide? For sake of argument, we'll pretend that the predominant view of eternal suffering in hell is not "true" for this topic.

Some humans are genocidal and so naturally the gods will be as well. For the most part, humans committing genocide requires gods, and therefore this necessary figment of the human imagination must be a genocidal entity itself in order for the humans to absolve themselves from the natural guilt of their own genocidal crimes. ...Blaming it on a god in the past, present, and future ensures that guilt will be as minimal as possible and license is always readily available. The elimination of a race by barbaric violence is rarely done without some kind of indifference and willful blindness of, or approval of, or direct order from, a religion based on a genocidal god hypothesis.

So the answer in this specific case must be yes. This is proved by the human invention of--and hope of many--Armageddon.
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +473/-8
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:16:45 AM »

If a God asks different things, then he is a different God.

Hell is defined nowhere in the Bible, or Quran as the absence of God.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Professor
  • Darwins +182/-16
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:31 AM »
So your answer is yes,thanks you can stop there
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +266/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:55:23 PM »

That's the neat thing about mythology, all interpretations are equally valid because they describe something that does not exist.
correction
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +420/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »
Airyaman,

I have to agree, but I'm afraid Christians have the edge with their standard apologetics.  I mean, regardless of what us heathens like to think, when Jesus or God decides that the non-believers are going to die, that's simply not genocide, it is just the creator of the universe doing what any good creator of the universe would do.

Of course, none of that settles with me, and I'm assuming you don't agree either.  According to believers, we have no right to second guess or criticize the plan their god has for each of us, even if it does mean the ultimate death of most of the world's humans.