Author Topic: Can I question God?  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
Re: Can I question God?
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
I live in the Bible Belt too and I disagree with you.  That's not what I see, and my location is pretty much in the buckle of the belt.

I guess you're also going to say that no christian puts an 5 story tall idol of a torture device overlooking towns? Guess what you are if you protest against it?

Again, God was saying don't create images to worship.  Big difference between having a picture to enjoy and one that you bow down before.

Albeto mentioned this but I will expand on it.

1) Do not make a graven Image.
2) Do not worship it.

It is what you would call an 'AND' in Logic.

Both A & B must be true in order for it to be true, if either are false, the entire result is false. You can neither have an image and you cannot worship it. Or are you saying, you can worship images as long as you don't own them or make them yourself? After all, YOUR condistions states so. BIG difference in MAKING an image for worshipping, and just worshipping one.

I've said this before, I think it was in this thread even. People DO NOT worship an Image. They Worship the one the Image represents. When a Christian bows before a crucifix, they are being reverent to Jesus. If they bow down before a statue of Ishtar, they are being reverent to Ishtar.

God is saying that the consequences of sins of the fathers will be felt by succeeding generations - like when a man is an alcoholic and beats his wife, often it results in alcoholism and spousal battery in the children and grandchildren.

Spousal and child abuse isn't a sin. As long as you use a rod and they get up after a day or two, no harm, no foul, no crime done. "Your daddy stole cookies from the cookie Jar, so you're going to have to suffer the consequences, bend over." <spank> <spank> "Alright, when you have children, bring them to suffer the consequences for thier grandpa stealing cookies."

Remember the guy at the pool that was lame since birth because he was suffering the consequences of the sins of his parents? God had him birn LAME because of something his parent(s) did. Punishment, not collateral damage.

Offline IXOYE

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2012, 05:03:46 AM »
Upon death at the pearly gates,can I question God?

As a rational human is it allowable to Question God on his genocidal tendencies,his failings at explaining his words,his lack of insight towards the industrial revolution and modern technology? Can I ask him to explain his hate for other races,slavery,women's rights,his commands to kill babies?

As a rational human,does God have to explain these narcissistic behaviours to me,his dislike for other gods,his take my ball and go home attitude?

At best he is a vindictive,narcissistic dictator. At worst he is a genocidal maniac,can these personality traits be questioned?

Why wait?  Why not just ask Him now?

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2012, 05:28:36 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but God never answered any of my heathen pleas! Do I need to do something additional, such as sacrificing an iron chariot in his name?  :laugh:

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 05:39:37 AM »

I don't know about you guys, but God never answered any of my heathen pleas! Do I need to do something additional, such as sacrificing an iron chariot in his name?  :laugh:

Yup. I once sacrificed an iron chariot in his name. I won the lottery two weeks after that.
True story.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »

hmm, I did when I was a Christian and still occasionally do now to see if I get a response. Still nada after decades. So, what is your magic spell to get God to pay attention and do something?
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »
One would think with millions of yrs of human evolution then subsequent technology god would have installed an 800 number with voice mail to answer these  things by now, but alas he took steve jobs from us to rework that first fucked up apple thingy so it will have an 800 number you can be put on hold. Don't worry. An operator will be right with you in the order your call is received...about 12 billion yrs give or take. Luckily Steve will have the patience of Job(s).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 04:00:16 PM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:53 AM »
Upon death at the pearly gates,can I question God?

Will he answer straight away?

Or will you not hear from him until you have already convinced yourself there's nothing TO answer?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline IXOYE

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:48 AM »

hmm, I did when I was a Christian and still occasionally do now to see if I get a response. Still nada after decades. So, what is your magic spell to get God to pay attention and do something?

Velkyn, it seems rather illogical to waste time seeking something which you know doesn't exist.  What is your purpose in doing that?  How do you go about doing this, and why?  I'm just curious, it seems counter intuitive once you've realized God doesn't exist, right?

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2012, 06:37:24 AM »
Velkyn, it seems rather illogical to waste time seeking something which you know doesn't exist. 

So, you agree that in order to try to find god, you must already be convinced that god exists?

Like I asked you above, "Will (god) answer straight away?  Or will you not hear from him until you have already convinced yourself there's nothing TO answer?"
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2012, 10:09:53 AM »
Velkyn, it seems rather illogical to waste time seeking something which you know doesn't exist.  What is your purpose in doing that?  How do you go about doing this, and why?  I'm just curious, it seems counter intuitive once you've realized God doesn't exist, right?

Nope, not illogical at all.  I have an open mind, you see, IX.  I am willing to try again just to make sure I’m not wrong.  Maybe your god was in the bathroom and didn’t hear my prayer.  Per the myths in the bible, God vanishes for unknown amounts of time and then comes back surprised that no one believes in him anymore.  This would be quite logical to do, retest the theory that the Christian god doesn’t exist, considering the attributes your mythology gives your god.  Now, I’ve done this test occasionally for decades.  What is the best answer to the observable evidence?  We have a god that has no more support than its believers an a “holy book” supposedly “inspired” by it.  This is quite similar to many other religions, from Islam, to the Egyptian pantheon led by Amun-Ra, etc.  Each claims that their god exists but they have no evidence.  I don’t believe in Amun-Ra, Allah, Tezcatlipoca, or the Christian God for the same reason. There is no evidence that any of them exist at all, not even when I look for these gods per their worshipper’s instructions.  I’ve seen all sorts of methods on how to get the Christian god’s attention and not surprisingly they all fail.  Even yours, IX, 

I’ve done that, and it’s failed.  Can you tell me why, IX?  Was I doing something wrong? That’s why I asked you for your exact magical spell to get your god’s attention. I’m going to “prophecy” that your excuse was that I wasn’t enough “something” in my prayer. I make that educated guess since that’s the excuse Christians give when their claims about their god fail.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline IXOYE

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »
Nope, not illogical at all. 
Really?  I "know" X doesn't exist, can't help me, can't assist my problems, can't hear me, yet I speak to it as if it can...you don't find that somewhat contradictory and slightly irrational? 

I have an open mind, you see, IX.  I am willing to try again just to make sure I’m not wrong.  Maybe your god was in the bathroom and didn’t hear my prayer.  Per the myths in the bible, God vanishes for unknown amounts of time and then comes back surprised that no one believes in him anymore.  This would be quite logical to do, retest the theory that the Christian god doesn’t exist, considering the attributes your mythology gives your god.  Now, I’ve done this test occasionally for decades.  What is the best answer to the observable evidence?  We have a god that has no more support than its believers an a “holy book” supposedly “inspired” by it.  This is quite similar to many other religions, from Islam, to the Egyptian pantheon led by Amun-Ra, etc.  Each claims that their god exists but they have no evidence.  I don’t believe in Amun-Ra, Allah, Tezcatlipoca, or the Christian God for the same reason. There is no evidence that any of them exist at all, not even when I look for these gods per their worshipper’s instructions.  I’ve seen all sorts of methods on how to get the Christian god’s attention and not surprisingly they all fail.

So, you're more agnostic then, not necessarily an atheist?  Kind of like holding out the "what if" card?  I'm just trying to better understand your position.  It seems irrational to me that an atheist would "pray" to something they know 100% does not exist.  Of course, if you don't know 100%, then I suppose there would be reason to hold out an obligatory prayer from time to time...just in case.

I’ve done that, and it’s failed. 

So, you continue trying?  Why?  What drives you?

Can you tell me why, IX?  Was I doing something wrong? That’s why I asked you for your exact magical spell to get your god’s attention. I’m going to “prophecy” that your excuse was that I wasn’t enough “something” in my prayer. I make that educated guess since that’s the excuse Christians give when their claims about their god fail.

I can't.  It would only be speculation on my part at this point.

Offline IXOYE

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2012, 10:55:57 AM »
Velkyn, it seems rather illogical to waste time seeking something which you know doesn't exist. 

So, you agree that in order to try to find god, you must already be convinced that god exists?

I'm sure it "helps", but no, I wouldn't necessarily agree with your statement.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2012, 11:13:33 AM »
Really?  I "know" X doesn't exist, can't help me, can't assist my problems, can't hear me, yet I speak to it as if it can...you don't find that somewhat contradictory and slightly irrational? 
Yes, dear, really.  Repeatedly asking the same question will not change my answer no matter what you hope. No, I do not find it irrational.  I would do the same if someone came up to me and insisted that The Great Ooga-Booga would do this if I only tried.  I try and I watch the try fail, thus very rationally determining something.  As I have said, your god is claimed to vanish occasionally and then return evidently having no idea what has happened during its absence.  I’m giving your god a chance and your claims a chance.  They fail. 
So, you're more agnostic then, not necessarily an atheist?  Kind of like holding out the "what if" card?  I'm just trying to better understand your position.  It seems irrational to me that an atheist would "pray" to something they know 100% does not exist.  Of course, if you don't know 100%, then I suppose there would be reason to hold out an obligatory prayer from time to time...just in case.
Nope, still a hard atheist.  I do not believe that any gods or the supernatural exists.  This exercise is a great way to demonstrate this repeatedly and to be honest with Christians who constantly make baseless claims about how their god will contact anyone who honestly wants to be contacted.  I am doing all I can to allow this god to show it self and it fails repeatedly. I like watching people like you fail.  If you’ll notice in my sig, my blog is called “Club Schadenfreude”. I like to see people hoist on the petard of their own willful ignorance and suffer for it. This enjoyment and being honest to myself and others is what “drives” me.

I do this out of a responsibility I have to myself, to always keep an open mind and repeatedly demonstrate that the claims of theists are lies.  As I have said, I’ve done my duty and again shown that your god is nonsense. 
I can't.  It would only be speculation on my part at this point.

Ah, and now you are being dishonest.  You said yourself
  You have made it seem so automatic and simple.  And now you have no reasons why this god of your won’t do what you’ve claimed it would? You certainly seemed sure that it would so one would think that you would know, with as much certainty, what I was supposedly doing wrong?

Are you wrong, IX?  It seems you are and it also seems that my “prophecy” is likely quite correct.  I would encourage you to give your speculations in this matter since it hasn’t stopped you before. 

Offline IXOYE

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
Yes, dear, really.  Repeatedly asking the same question will not change my answer no matter what you hope. No, I do not find it irrational. 

Clearly, although I find that interesting that you don't feel it is irrational to waste time on something you know does not exist.  Isn't life too short for such pointless pursuits?

I would do the same if someone came up to me and insisted that The Great Ooga-Booga would do this if I only tried.  I try and I watch the try fail, thus very rationally determining something. 

Sounds, still, a bit counter intuitive.  That might just be my perspective, but it seems like a huge waste of time and energy spent living this one life here on earth that is over so quickly.

Nope, still a hard atheist.  I do not believe that any gods or the supernatural exists.  This exercise is a great way to demonstrate this repeatedly and to be honest with Christians who constantly make baseless claims about how their god will contact anyone who honestly wants to be contacted.  I am doing all I can to allow this god to show it self and it fails repeatedly. I like watching people like you fail. 
This gives me a little more perspective on your motivations.

If you’ll notice in my sig, my blog is called “Club Schadenfreude”. I like to see people hoist on the petard of their own willful ignorance and suffer for it. This enjoyment and being honest to myself and others is what “drives” me.

I hadn't seen this, but this makes sense to me about why you "pray".  It seems less and less about keeping an open mind, and more and more about this particular motivation.  If I can find some time this weekend, I'll try to read some from your blog.

Ah, and now you are being dishonest.  You said yourself
  You have made it seem so automatic and simple.  And now you have no reasons why this god of your won’t do what you’ve claimed it would? You certainly seemed sure that it would so one would think that you would know, with as much certainty, what I was supposedly doing wrong?
How is it ever dishonest to claim I don't "know" an answer when I've admitted it would be speculation?  Unless, of course, I had absolute knowledge that I was withholding from you intentionally (which I don't).  Don't mistake that for me not having thoughts on the matter, but you asked me to identify the exact problem in your case, or at least that is how I read it...

Are you wrong, IX?  It seems you are and it also seems that my “prophecy” is likely quite correct.  I would encourage you to give your speculations in this matter since it hasn’t stopped you before.

So, you're really sincerely interested in discussing my views?

Offline Ivellios

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-0
  • Seek and Ye Shall Find
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2012, 12:04:25 PM »
Regardless of her motivations. God clearly indicates that she isn't worth his time or his love. Kinda contradictory for someone that's supposed to be All-Loving and wants a personal relationship.

Or, he's just as real as all the other gods.... which the Bible claims to be real, just that YHWH is a jealous god and wants to be the only worshipped. YHWH, is as real as Baal, Asheroth, Moloch, Amen, and many other gods, according to it.

We know the truth about all those other gods, but christians think, that even though they're all equally (not) real, thier god is different.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:27:39 PM by TruthSeeker »

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
Clearly, although I find that interesting that you don't feel it is irrational to waste time on something you know does not exist.  Isn't life too short for such pointless pursuits?

If we lived in a society in which three-fourths of the adult population believed in the Easter Bunny (with us being in the minority), and in which a large and vocal number of that population were well-financed, working as hard as possible to get laws passed affecting everybody, including nonbelievers, based on their beliefs... if people knocked on my door once or twice a week trying to get me to believe in the Easter Bunny as well, if openly professing disbelief in the Easter Bunny was a prospect that could very well lead to violence against my person or my property, if custody battles in divorce proceedings were disproportionately decided in favor of the parent who believed in the Easter Bunny -- then, we'd spend a lot of time talking about the Easter Bunny, too, and it would hardly be a pointless pursuit.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:20:21 PM by pianodwarf »
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2012, 01:33:25 PM »
Wow, the same question again! How not unexpected.  Pianodwarf said it well.  Read his post and please ask if you don’t understand his point. 

When I see a theist trying to hard to convince me not to question his faith by claiming he’s so concerned about hw short life is, I just have to laugh.  It’s such a poor attempt to try to get me to sit down and shut up.  The fact that life is short is exactly why I do my best to remove religion from the face of the planet.  Religion make false promises and causes people to harm each other over such false promises, especially the judeo/islamo/Christo religions.   
Sounds, still, a bit counter intuitive.  That might just be my perspective, but it seems like a huge waste of time and energy spent living this one life here on earth that is over so quickly.
Yep, it’s just your perspective.  You desperately don’t want anyone to show your religion to be the myths that it is.  Again, I do love the crocodiles tears, oh think of how short this life is.  Uh-huh :D  Sorry, not buying it, IX.  I’m wondering: if you knew of a belief that harmed people, that got children murdered by their own parents, etc, would you not do all you could to stop it?  I find that to be very important and yet one more reason I do this. 
This gives me a little more perspective on your motivations.
Hmmm. I’d like to make sure you aren’t leaving with a false idea, a strawman to attack, rather than what I really intended.  Care to share what you think my “motivations” are?
I hadn't seen this, but this makes sense to me about why you "pray".  It seems less and less about keeping an open mind, and more and more about this particular motivation.  If I can find some time this weekend, I'll try to read some from your blog.
Ah, there we go, the claims that I didn’t pray in the “right” way. I knew you had it in you, IX.  Unfortunately for you, no, I still pray with all honesty and all open mindedness to get an answer *if* there is one to be had. I prayed that way too when just losing my faith and your god still didn’t bother with me. I’ll admit I’m even more sure now that this god doesn’t exist, but I’m still honestly looking.  Maybe your god is on Zeta Reticuli X, but until I have evidence I have no more reason to believe in your god than you have to believe in Odin. 

Many, not all, Christians claim that their god wants all to come to know him.  I do want to know about it if it exists. I wouldn’t  worship it since I find its actions vile but I would certainly believe in it if I could know about it.  Since I know that there is no god to answer me, no matter what Christian-given formula I try, I know it will fail.

I know, IX, that you want to claim that I “really” don’t want to know your god, but in fact, I do.  I’m more than open to considering the possibility it exists, but as it stands there is no reason to believe it since you have no evidence.  Just like the Easter Bunny, I find it silly.   
How is it ever dishonest to claim I don't "know" an answer when I've admitted it would be speculation?  Unless, of course, I had absolute knowledge that I was withholding from you intentionally (which I don't).  Don't mistake that for me not having thoughts on the matter, but you asked me to identify the exact problem in your case, or at least that is how I read it...
Ah, but you didn’t say you didn’t know before. You said one could ask him *now*.  And you evidently expected that this god would answer, did you not?  Or were you saying “Why not ask Him now?” and not expecting anything at all.  That would have been a rather curious position for a Christian to take. 
So, you're really sincerely interested in discussing my views?
Of course I am. I’d love to see some reason to believe in the supernatural.  I find this world a bit boring without it but that’s the way it is. IX, I like to play clerics in D&D, so I’m not adverse to religion.  In the game, gods do things and help humanity (and elves, orcs, etc).   I am adverse to religion that is built on lies and does little but harm.

However, a discussion won’t mean I’ll let your claims go without showing how I find they are wrong and requiring you to support your claims with evidence.  If you think you have anything that’ll convince me your religion is true, by all means go ahead. If  you find that you don’t like the sound of that, then you probably won’t like it here at all, discussing anything with anyone.  Oh, and if you’d like to limit the discussion to just you and me or you and anyone else, just ask for a one-on-one and the mods can set up a thread just for that, so you don’t feel overwhelmed.

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »
God have answered me more than once, however I'm sure most of you will consider this as me being talking to myself.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:32 PM »
God have answered me more than once, however I'm sure most of you will consider this as me being talking to myself.

welcome, Augusto.  Yes, you are pretty much right.  Many theists of all types claim that their gods talk to them.  We even see various theists claimign that their gods tell them to do very bad things.  There's no way to tell the difference.

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »
Actually, there is. For everyone knows the difference between good and evil in their heart. You feel what's wrong and what's right. So, at the end what you accumulate is satisfaction or guilt.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:14 PM »
Actually, there is. For everyone knows the difference between good and evil in their heart. You feel what's wrong and what's right. So, at the end what you accumulate is satisfaction or guilt.

Then explain psycopaths.  Augusto, how can *I* tell from looking at you and another theist who both claim that their god spoke to them.  how do I know who is telling the truth.  This is especially a problem for Christians since Christians so often don't agree on what their god "really" wants.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

Psychopaths. Sociopaths. Magnets.
The first two have no sense of right and wrong. The third affects our sense of right and wrong. In addition, morality is subjective.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
Psychopaths do have sense of right and wrong.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
Since Monkeymind is predestined to burn in hell for EVER and a few more evers for the hell of it I suggest questioning the big prick anyway..What's he gonna do? Toss in another ever?
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2012, 02:26:43 PM »

Do they? Have you actually learned what psychopaths are?
We choose our own gods.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »

No we don't.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2012, 02:34:41 PM »

wrong again.  Augusto, our senses of right and wrong are based on culture and on empathy, what we would have done to ourselves. Feral children have no sense of right and wrong.   Your bible is a prime example of how right and wrong change through out time.  There is no "eternal" god giving out objective morals, there is a god that says slavery is fine, genocide is great! women are to be considered property or at best second class citizens.  In the modern world, those "morals" aren't accepted much anymore. 

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2012, 02:37:41 PM »

wrong again.  Augusto, our senses of right and wrong are based on culture and on empathy, what we would have done to ourselves. Feral children have no sense of right and wrong.   Your bible is a prime example of how right and wrong change through out time.  There is no "eternal" god giving out objective morals, there is a god that says slavery is fine, genocide is great! women are to be considered property or at best second class citizens.  In the modern world, those "morals" aren't accepted much anymore.

I think what Augusto meant is that psychopaths know the difference between right and wrong but just don't care (i.e., they do not have a conscience).  This is my understanding of what psychopathy is, in any event, although I don't profess to be an expert in this area.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline IXOYE

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2012, 02:39:20 PM »
When I see a theist trying to hard to convince me not to question his faith by claiming he’s so concerned about hw short life is, I just have to laugh.  It’s such a poor attempt to try to get me to sit down and shut up.  The fact that life is short is exactly why I do my best to remove religion from the face of the planet.  Religion make false promises and causes people to harm each other over such false promises, especially the judeo/islamo/Christo religions. 

So, again, let's make sure I'm not missing something.  Your motivation is to:

remove religion from the face of the planet

and

I like watching people like you fail.

and

I am doing all I can to allow this god to show it self and it fails repeatedly.

and

I like to see people hoist on the petard of their own willful ignorance and suffer for it.

So, how is this supporting your claim of being open-minded?  In light of this, it makes more sense as to why you would hold to your position because it is indeed worth your time to pursue "disproving" something you know doesn't exist because you feel it is harmful (just like Piano Dwarf put forth).  But, that's different, at least to me, then my question I put forth to you about the irrationality of praying to something you know doesn't exist just for the purpose of "keeping an open mind".

With that out of the way, we can hopefully move on to discussing whatever it is you might have an interest in.  Or, if you feel there is still something left to explore here we can.  And for the record, I'm not making claims that you did or did not pray in the right way.  I'm simply trying to ascertain your motives.  A prayer can be just as genuine even if it starts out with "I don't believe in you."  Do you think a God capable of creating the universe would be unable to deal with your sincerity?  My original statement stands, you can still ask Him.  Anything.  Anytime.  Prayer is not the exclusive domain of just "believers".

And, like you, I'm generally interested in this topic.  I also believe that a world or reality without God would be a bit boring.  It sounds at one point that you had some sort of faith?  Tell me a bit more about that.

Of course I am. I’d love to see some reason to believe in the supernatural.  I find this world a bit boring without it but that’s the way it is. IX, I like to play clerics in D&D, so I’m not adverse to religion.  In the game, gods do things and help humanity (and elves, orcs, etc).   I am adverse to religion that is built on lies and does little but harm.

Fair enough, lets use this as an opportunity, then, to discuss whatever is of interest to you.  Clearly, you do have an interest in the "idea" of the supernatural.

However, a discussion won’t mean I’ll let your claims go without showing how I find they are wrong and requiring you to support your claims with evidence.  If you think you have anything that’ll convince me your religion is true, by all means go ahead.

Understood, but we both know there are claims that I can't prove.  That said, if you're interested in discussing them anyway, I'm happy to oblige as best as I can and to share my thoughts, beliefs, and experiences.

Oh, and if you’d like to limit the discussion to just you and me or you and anyone else, just ask for a one-on-one and the mods can set up a thread just for that, so you don’t feel overwhelmed.

If it gets to overwhelming, this is certainly a viable option.  I can see how it could quickly become so if I tried to respond to too many at once.