Author Topic: octopus causes havoc  (Read 1720 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
octopus causes havoc
« on: October 31, 2008, 01:07:06 PM »
""We knew that he was bored as the aquarium is closed for winter, and at two feet, seven inches Otto had discovered he was big enough to swing onto the edge of his tank and shoot out a the 2000 Watt spot light above him with a carefully directed jet of water."

among other things....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3328480/Otto-the-octopus-wrecks-havoc.html
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
Re: octopus causes havoc
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
That's amazing.  I've seen a few programs where new research is showing that octupi, squid, and cuddle fish are amongst the smartest animals on the planet.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:34:19 PM »
At our local aquarium, they started having a problem with fish disappearing from exhibits.  They set up cameras to see what was happening and found that the Giant Pacific Octopus they had was escaping at night, out the top of his tank, then breaking into the other tanks, eating the inhabitants, and then returning to his own tank.  They tried to secure his tank, but succeeded only in locking him out when he escaped the next time, and he died.  I must admit that it made me chuckle to see the words "Exhibit Under Construction" over the octopus tank in the wake of that little fiasco.

Offline ;)

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • My name's Dan, ignore the crap username :)
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:47:33 PM »
That's amazing, DD! :D

Shame it wasn't quite clever enough to get back
Our freedom's consuming itself.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:48:12 PM »
Where was this at? To Davedave that is
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 10:26:42 AM by Irish »

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • That's right. A red X. yaaay.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 10:20:01 AM »
""We knew that he was bored as the aquarium is closed for winter, and at two feet, seven inches Otto had discovered he was big enough to swing onto the edge of his tank and shoot out a the 2000 Watt spot light above him with a carefully directed jet of water."

among other things....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3328480/Otto-the-octopus-wrecks-havoc.html

Absolute coolness!  We may not get along most of the time Velkyn, but we do share some interests. You know, giant crystals and octupi with attitude!
You can't prove it either way so you have to make a choice.

Offline Sota

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 10:30:32 AM »
Am I the only one who finds it deeply disturbing that octopi and squids and such are so smart?

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 12:31:26 PM »

Could be the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific, or the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  I recall hearing a similar story.  Another, involving the shark tank.  They had mixed in some octopuses, figuring they'd be smart enough to hide from the sharks.

They were right, but were rather surprised when some of the sharks started dissapearing.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »
Am I the only one who finds it deeply disturbing that octopi and squids and such are so smart?

You're joking right?

I would be nice to see these creatures after about 5 million years to see what they evolve into.

Offline Sota

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »

You're joking right?

I would be nice to see these creatures after about 5 million years to see what they evolve into.

I was being silly, but I am actually afraid of sea creatures.  And knowing that octopi are actually fairly smart doesn't help that much.

I'm sure it'd be something pretty awesome.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »

I wonder about that, too.  Evolution isn't linear, so there's no reason to expect them to become more intelligent as a species over time unless that intelligence is selected for.  Maybe that selection pressure exists, maybe not.  Tentacled mollusks have been around since the pre-Cambrian, and the smartest species of mollusk alive today is the octopus.  Primates have only been around for between 65 and 85 million years, and that basic 'model' produced humans.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »
Oh no! We're talking about evolution.  Smell it... (sniff, sniff) I smell troll.... Here comes AFadly.  Just wait.  He'll be here soon.

Offline Sota

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 03:43:48 PM »
I've got it.  Octopi shall evolve into something like this:

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »

I wonder about that, too.  Evolution isn't linear, so there's no reason to expect them to become more intelligent as a species over time unless that intelligence is selected for.  Maybe that selection pressure exists, maybe not.  Tentacled mollusks have been around since the pre-Cambrian, and the smartest species of mollusk alive today is the octopus.  Primates have only been around for between 65 and 85 million years, and that basic 'model' produced humans.

Well they got tentacles which means with the proper development, they could use them to build things. If they evolve at all.

I once debated with someone who thought that apes were going to evolve into something as sentient as us in the future. I called bullshit on that.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 04:02:23 PM »
Yeah, octupi should be able to evolve more intelligence.  I'm just skeptical about whether they definitely would do so if left to their own devices.  They've had an awful long time to get this far.  For all we know, their evolutionary development has reached a plateau in their natural habitat.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2008, 04:24:58 PM »
Yeah, octupi should be able to evolve more intelligence.  I'm just skeptical about whether they definitely would do so if left to their own devices.  They've had an awful long time to get this far.  For all we know, their evolutionary development has reached a plateau in their natural habitat.

Or it could have been slowed because of the habitat. Land dwelling creatures have a lot more to look at and think about. Also, in the sea, there is food everywhere. Humans, had to learn how to manage food.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »

Cuttlefish might have an edge with their amazing communication abilities.
They're advantaged by having large brains, and the need to actively outsmart the predators.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x-8v1mxpR0[/youtube]  2:33

There is a short video here that shows how the smarter males are able to breed, thus creating a biological preference toward smarter breeders.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/camo/chan-vid-w-04-220.html

Several more on this page.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/camo/change.html
They are all short and well worth a watch.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 11:10:19 AM »

Birch Aquarium.

Madbunny,

Almost every aquarium curator that keeps cephalopods can tell you stories about them.  The shark tank incident is a more famous one, though that was a separate story and did not happen at the Birch.

Sota,

If squid figure out that humans are edible underneath their wetsuits, they could make the ocean a VERY unpleasant place to be.

Nihilanth,

Your statement here is totally absurd.  Let everyone read this and see the dangers associated with people that have little to no understanding of biology engaging in speculation about evolutionary history and future.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »

You're joking right?

there was a "Future Evolution" show on Discovery Channel that had them in the trees  ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

You're joking right?

there was a "Future Evolution" show on Discovery Channel that had them in the trees  ;D

I love those shows.  :)