Author Topic: Check out what this guidance counselor at a Catholic Prep School has to say  (Read 360 times)

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
This is unbelievable. This guy is a coach and guidance counselor, and just look at the mindless drivel he spews forth. The worst part is, they refused his resignation. The coach's full letter is on the right hand side of the page. In it he makes very disparaging remarks about other area schools (one of which had just defeated them prior to this letter) as well as insulting his own student body. This was sent to every student at the school. http://www.goerie.com/article/2011312279952
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
I always get seriously annoyed with someone who claims to "take responsibility" but then "offers his resignation".  That ain't taking responsibility - its getting someone else to make the call.  It means that when your resignation is refused (as chances are it will be - and you know it) you can then feel all smug that you tried to "do the right thing".

If you take responsibility in a case like this, then you resign - or not, if you don't feel it warrants it.  But I'll have none of this weaselly "well, I'll resign if YOU think I should...." nonsense.  That's the action of a spineless cowards who still doesn't want to take the fall himself.

I think the coach needs to "grow a pair".
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
I always get seriously annoyed with someone who claims to "take responsibility" but then "offers his resignation".  That ain't taking responsibility - its getting someone else to make the call.  It means that when your resignation is refused (as chances are it will be - and you know it) you can then feel all smug that you tried to "do the right thing".

If you take responsibility in a case like this, then you resign - or not, if you don't feel it warrants it.  But I'll have none of this weaselly "well, I'll resign if YOU think I should...." nonsense.  That's the action of a spineless cowards who still doesn't want to take the fall himself.

I think the coach needs to "grow a pair".

Yes, if he really wanted to show his sincerity, he would resign, regardless of what they said. I think it is funny how Catholics I know are all saying stuff like "How is this supposed to represent Christianity?"[1] As if the Catholic Church is known for tolerance, acceptance, humility, and gentle words, right? Oh wait, they pretty much had a standing policy to kill non believers, for what, like a thousand years? More? How tolerant, accepting, and gentle. Oh yeah, and their leader has a golden throne, and is the dictator of his own little country? Definitely humble.
 1. No True Scotsman?
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Story at the link appease to be gone.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
Story at the link appease to be gone.

The link seemed to work fine to me, not sure.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Yes, it is working!  The first time I clicked it, I got a page saying that the article was no longer in that location?

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
The link worked for me.

A few of the things that Moffett said were,
"students who preferred to sit with their parents should "cut the umbilical cord and grow a pair," and referred to students who sat with classmates as "boy lovers."

In response to students who chose to sit with their girlfriends, Moffett wrote "if she made or wanted you to sit with her, then she is a high maintenance, selfish pig and you should dump her now."

Moffett called the other teams fans " "mayonnaise sandwich eating, sister loving, trailer park dwelling clowns."

His school president said about Moffett, "but unfortunately he showed a lack of judgment."
That is an understatement if I ever heard one.

Moffett of course said that he took full responsibility for what he wrote.
Well DUH! He wrote it, who else would be responsible?
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
He should be fired, in my opinion.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
I think there are people who fail to realise that there is more to life than sports. This guy is one of those people.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
I think there are people who fail to realise that there is more to life than sports. This guy is one of those people.

Damn well said.  That is actually how I feel, and I am embarrassed slightly, that I did not say so!

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
Re: Check out what this guidance counselor at a Catholic Prep School has to say
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »

True. historically, this "Catholic Prep School" has always been over-the-top competitive, and not above vandalism or verbal abuse against other teams or their stadiums.[1] All Cathedral Prep cares about is its sports program. Too bad for them Stephen Bathory had already laid claim to the title "Athlete of Christ".
 1. To be fair, this school and my high school, McDowell, always had a rivalry, and often the vandalistic acts were mutual. But then, McDowell is a secular school and not some Jesus academy centered around the self declared moral authority from god. I think that raises the expectations of their conduct a bit.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 10:12:38 PM »
Idiots. The problem here is more than an apology to the students who were slammed or the schools that were slammed. The problem is that the students are now trained to believe it is okay to do something like this and just apologize afterwards. The email contained zero sportsmanship and was completely anti-inspirational. The content of the email is something I would expect from a pissed off senior to write and send to the school.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 03:34:03 AM »
LOL, this was a pretty big topic of discussion locally (by which I mean on Facebook). One of my former co-workers (who happens to also be Catholic, and whose son attends one of the schools that were insulted) had a rather long discussion involving several members. she said "Nor should he be able to b a "guidance counselor" since he lacks the skills to give "guidance" that is appropriate and non-derrogatory to young, impressionable men. I think this "talk" has been allowed and encouraged and this guy didn't realize that you couldn't put it "out there" for everyone to see. It's like a cult mentality!!!

To which I just had to respond "Cult mentality at a faith based school? Surely you jest :P "

She actually took it well: "haha Tom...point taken...: )" 

I'm going to consider it a very minor victory for atheism.