Author Topic: Diabetes rate doubles in U.S. in last 10 years  (Read 402 times)

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
Diabetes rate doubles in U.S. in last 10 years
« on: November 03, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
Highest rate in the South, according to government report

ATLANTA - The nation's obesity epidemic is exacting a heavy toll: The rate of new diabetes cases nearly doubled in the United States in the past 10 years, the government said Thursday.

The highest rates were in the South, according to the first state-by-state review of new diagnoses. The worst was in West Virginia, where about 13 in 1,000 adults were diagnosed with the disease in 2005-07. The lowest was in Minnesota, where the rate was 5 in 1,000.

Nationally, the rate of new cases climbed from about 5 per 1,000 in the mid-1990s to 9 per 1,000 in the middle of this decade.

Roughly 90 percent of cases are Type 2 diabetes, the form linked to obesity.

The findings dovetail with trends seen in obesity and lack of exercise — two health measures where Southern states also rank at the bottom.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27457618/

The perils of junk food.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Goodkat

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • A man's delusion is insanity, a nation's, religion
Re: Diabetes rate doubles in U.S. in last 10 years
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 08:59:57 PM »
I really hate the idea of diabetes, and it is proof to me that we were not designed intelligently. You give your body too much sugar, and it responds by not being able to handle sugar correctly? F***ing stupid body!

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »
I don't know, Goodkat.  If you give your body too much sulfuric acid, it responds by not being able to handle sulfuric acid correctly, too.  ;D
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Goodkat

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • A man's delusion is insanity, a nation's, religion
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 10:04:33 PM »
I don't know, Goodkat.  If you give your body too much sulfuric acid, it responds by not being able to handle sulfuric acid correctly, too.  ;D
It never could handle that much acid correctly, in diabetes, your body's sugar tolerance is actually lowered!

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 10:09:38 PM »
I know, you raised a perfectly good point.  I'm allowed some fun though, right? :D
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.