Author Topic: Breathtaking views  (Read 354 times)

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
Breathtaking views
« on: December 21, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »
Grab onto this spectacular bit of scientific achievement. http://www.flixxy.com/hubble-ultra-deep-field-3d.htm

For all you gentle earth centric types, don't bother.

* Chronos made the URL work
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:25:58 PM by Chronos »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Breathtaking views
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:07:53 PM »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:10:31 AM »
That's totally amazing, and totally incomprehensible. I think my brain might explode.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
Whenever I see anything like that I always like to think that somewhere in the picture (obviously far too small to be seen) that there are stars with civilisation bearing planets orbiting them. Maybe ships moving between the planets and stars. Maybe they look at our galaxy and imagine the same thing. I'm sure in a universe so vast we cannot be the only intelligent species living in it.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »
Very pretty. God does nice work. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »
Whenever I see anything like that I always like to think that somewhere in the picture (obviously far too small to be seen) that there are stars with civilisation bearing planets orbiting them. Maybe ships moving between the planets and stars. Maybe they look at our galaxy and imagine the same thing. I'm sure in a universe so vast we cannot be the only intelligent species living in it.

I think nearly the exact same things; only I take it a step or two further, for both the worse and the better.  I contemplate that the Earth-like planets and its homo sapien-like occupants (if they exist) could be in the infancy of their existence.  What if they haven't even gotten to the fire and stone utensils yet?  Imagine the amount of work this were the case.  It is possible. 
     On the other hand, I postulate that it is the nth degree of an accumulation of what we've considered our best scientific fiction writings for the past three generations.  There are no religions, no medical ailments, no war, everything is recyclable, so on.
     Of course, like you said (and I've thought many times), there could be an exact match to the Earth/homo sapien correlation somewhere in existence. 
     Even further, where does existence end?  Will we ever define this?  I think of it in spherical realms coming in contact with one another at their cusps.  I just don't know it all damn it!  Or as a Christian would answer the questions...praise Jayzuz!

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 08:41:47 PM »
I just don't know it all damn it!  Or as a Christian would answer the questions...praise Jayzuz!

That's the difference. For christians all they're ever going to know they know now. For atheists all we're ever going to know has barely begun.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".