Poll

Do you, as an atheist, celebrate Christmas?

Yes
6 (26.1%)
No
7 (30.4%)
Only with family, and close friends.
10 (43.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Christmas  (Read 1957 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Christmas
« on: December 21, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
I ask this 'cause there's barely anyone here.  It could be because it's almost 11am (eastern) but I don't think so.

I personally do not celebrate Christmas, however, if people in my family, or friends I know, wish to give me presents, then, I'll take them.  And, for family only (immediate family only) I will give presents to them but not to celebrate the holiday or anything but out of a turn in favor for getting me a gift.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:00:37 AM »
Technically no, but my mother forces me to go to a family member's house where they pretend that we all love each other unconditionally.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:11:08 AM »
My family and I celebrate a secular christmas-y sort of holiday. That is to say that we gather, we usually have a tree, we share gifts and a big feast. It's a time when we make an extra effort to be all together, even though we live 500 miles apart. Why christmas time for that gathering? Why not? It's all wrapped up with the giddy child-like joy of waiting for the presents to be put under the tree, seeing aunts and uncles and cousins, yummy turkey dinners, and lots of festive decorations.

In my holiday cards I don't use the word christmas, but I'm not offended if someone else does. I'm a little squeamish of the uber-religious cards I get from some of my super-lutheran relatives, but I try not to fuss about it.

Would I be just as happy to call it yule, or solstice, or flibbergast? Sure. I don't care what its called, but its fun, there's a sort of built up energy knowing that most people around me are doing the same thing, and so we do it.  ;D

I haven't figured out how to answer the poll because I'm not sure the difference between "yes" and just with family. And do you mean religious (keep the christ in christmas) celebration, or the santa claus type of secular christmas? And maybe my answer is "sort of", because I'll just as happily say happy yule, or whatever. My typical greeting is "I hope you have a great holiday!" or something of that ilk. I guess that boils down to it being a great excuse for a family party. I'm lucky, in that my family really does care about each other, so no faking required.  :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:39:04 PM »
We celebrate it like the christians do - steal someone's holiday and tweak it until it's our own.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 02:23:06 PM »
Quote from: Traveler
I haven't figured out how to answer the poll because I'm not sure the difference between "yes" and just with family. And do you mean religious (keep the christ in christmas) celebration, or the santa claus type of secular christmas? And maybe my answer is "sort of", because I'll just as happily say happy yule, or whatever. My typical greeting is "I hope you have a great holiday!" or something of that ilk. I guess that boils down to it being a great excuse for a family party. I'm lucky, in that my family really does care about each other, so no faking required.

I opened it up for more than one vote to cut on such confusion; if you choose one verses the others or more than one, then, you can just explain in the comment area of what type rather than it as a whole.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:29:13 PM »
I celebrate axial tilting day.   ;)  and pretty much ditto on what albeto said.  Nothing else better to do, so eat, give presents and hang out with family. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline free

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • We didn't land on Mt Sinai, Mt Sinai landed on us!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
I celebrate non-denominational capitalist wintertime gift-giving season.  Culturally, not religiously.  I stole that phrase from this wrapping paper that I use

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 07:31:30 PM »
My family and I celebrate a secular christmas-y sort of holiday. That is to say that we gather, we usually have a tree, we share gifts and a big feast.

It's Thanksgiving ... but with bling.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
Technically no, but my mother forces me to go to a family member's house where they pretend that we all love each other unconditionally.

funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:43:21 PM »

No, not really. It always ends in an argument. =/
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »

.......more common than not in my observation  :(
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:56 PM »

That's what happens when people pretend they love each other unconditionally. That's why I'm not going this year. I get one free day and, as a bonus, I get to be alone.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 10:59:48 PM »
My family and I celebrate a secular christmas-y sort of holiday. That is to say that we gather, we usually have a tree, we share gifts and a big feast.

Exactly!!! I hope you don't mind if I steal this!!! ;)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 11:53:36 PM »

That's what happens when people pretend they love each other unconditionally. That's why I'm not going this year. I get one free day and, as a bonus, I get to be alone.

.......and santa doesn't even have to deliver that present  ;)    I hope you have a great day

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 11:59:57 PM »
.......and santa doesn't even have to deliver that present  ;)

Don't care about the presents. Quite frankly, I find them somewhat annoying.

I hope you have a great day

So do I.
We choose our own gods.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 12:11:36 AM »
.......and santa doesn't even have to deliver that present  ;)

Yes    once my kids were adults, I banned the only vestige of christmas I ever practised (ie the present giving)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 06:05:02 AM »

Maybe if you start off with an argument you can end with unconditional love?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 06:07:01 AM »

Here's the problem: unconditional love does not exist. I don't care how much you claim to love someone, if that someone treats you like crap, you're gonna stop loving them eventually.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 06:08:28 AM »

Exactly!!! I hope you don't mind if I steal this!!! ;)

No, not at all!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 09:25:58 AM »
...Here's the problem: unconditional love does not exist. I don't care how much you claim to love someone, if that someone treats you like crap, you're gonna stop loving them eventually.

I agree with this. I can think that I have unconditional love for someone. But if it turned out they were abusive, or that they'd betrayed me in some fundamental way, I might be able to summon up some compassion for whatever drove them to it, but full-on love? No, not so much. Maybe a sort of unconditional compassion for who they could have been, or something. And maybe that's what they mean. But "hug 'em hello" love? No way.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 10:21:59 AM »

Here's the problem: unconditional love does not exist. I don't care how much you claim to love someone, if that someone treats you like crap, you're gonna stop loving them eventually.

I was considering unconditional love as unconditional acceptance for just being you, not a potential problematic you.

Also, I believe that love is undefinable with words but is most exhibited by actions.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
I personally do not celebrate Christmas, however, if people in my family, or friends I know, wish to give me presents, then, I'll take them.  And, for family only (immediate family only) I will give presents to them but not to celebrate the holiday or anything but out of a turn in favor for getting me a gift.

-Nam

Nam, um...............isn't......um, what you just described above exact what celebrating Christmas entails?

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 11:37:08 AM »

Unconditional is a strong and misleading word as it relates to love since love is ALWAYS based on one or more conditions. I love myself because I am me. I love my parents because they are my parents, they raised me, took care of me, etc. There nothing my mom could do short of murdering my kids that could cause me to no longer love her, and even if she did that, I might still have a place in my heart for moms because she's moms.
As far as my kids are concerned, the love I as a father have for them is the closest thing I can think to unconditional love. There's nothing they can do to me that I can think of that would cause me to feel I no longer love them. As a parent, I believe that sentiment is nearly universal within our ranks.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 11:46:56 AM »
Guys, if you wish to discuss the existence or lack thereof of unconditional love, make a new thread. I'm not going to reply here to avoid derailing this one.
We choose our own gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 12:38:59 PM »
I celebrate non-denominational capitalist wintertime gift-giving season.  Culturally, not religiously.  I stole that phrase from this wrapping paper that I use[

I am so getting that for next year.  lurve me some thinkgeek.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2011, 02:12:46 PM »

I find the gifts annoying, as well but mainly 'cause they're never what I ask for. ;)

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2011, 02:14:25 PM »
Quote from: Truth OT
Nam, um...............isn't......um, what you just described above exact what celebrating Christmas entails?

I thought it was supposed to entail the nativity of Christ?

-Nam

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
I LOVE the Holiday season and especially Christmas! I even like calling it Christmas and it's not just because I've become comfortable with the tradition of doing so, but also because the word 'Christmas' seems to be an apt description of what transpires on this holiday. On annd around Christmas, families and chosen friends gather to celebrate the love and personal connections they share. The word Christmas or 'Christ' "mass" can simply be broken down and and understood as meaning mass or gathering together of the chosen (christed).

I know I'm reaching, but it makes sense................

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2011, 03:46:53 PM »
I LOVE the Holiday season and especially Christmas! I even like calling it Christmas and it's not just because I've become comfortable with the tradition of doing so, but also because the word 'Christmas' seems to be an apt description of what transpires on this holiday. On annd around Christmas, families and chosen friends gather to celebrate the love and personal connections they share. The word Christmas or 'Christ' "mass" can simply be broken down and and understood as meaning mass or gathering together of the chosen (christed).

I know I'm reaching, but it makes sense................

Oy. that is reaching!

Dec 25 is the Feast Day of the Nativity.  It's one of a few "holy days of obligation" in the Roman Catholic calendar.  It's the Mass that celebrates the Nativity, or birth, of "Christ," therefore, "Christ's Mass."  It's not a "gathering" but a "re-presentation" of the sacrifice (thus the Eucharist).  This is why it was outlawed in colonial America - it's a papist invention.