Author Topic: Another Bumper Sticker  (Read 495 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Another Bumper Sticker
« on: December 21, 2011, 10:36:38 AM »
I know people are probably getting tired of such topics but this one I saw on the way home yesterday was weird and, for me, didn't make too much sense.  It said:

"If You're Against Jesus You're A Terrorist Against God"

What the hell does that mean?

Must be some bible-belt nut who came up with that one.

-Nam

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
Re: Another Bumper Sticker
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
Gotta believe Jesus exists before you can be 'against' him.
The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:52:48 AM »
Well, Muslims believe in Jesus, and most Muslims I know are against Jesus.  Same with Jews.  So, are they terrorists against Biblegod?

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:26:50 AM »
So much for that "free will" thing.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »
Nam
I know people are probably getting tired of such topics

These bumper stickers/billboards never get old.  Keep em comin.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 12:02:48 PM »
"If You're Against Jesus You're A Terrorist Against God"

What the hell does that mean?

Just apply logic.

A terrorist is someone who threatens someone as a profession[1]  But unless the threat is credible and really frightens the victim then you're just another troll, loon, etc.

So therefore anyone who is against Jesus scares God.

It's really a profound thought in a short space.
 1. Original definition of professional was not just someone who was competent but someone who professed their work and were dedicated to it.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:24:39 PM »
The almighty Biblegod gets scared?

;)

-Nam

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
of course he does.  Ran around practically screaming holding his skirts up when the tower of babel was being built. 

I rather suspsect that the bumper sticker is wishful thinking that the Christians could imprision anyone who disagreed with them just like this: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/15/indefinite-military-detention-bill-passes_n_1152114.html
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:10:38 PM »
The tower of Babel was knocked over by Biblegod but no other skyscraper, or tower has been knocked over since?  When I read that story, I always thought that the builders just didn't know how to build really tall buildings.

-Nam

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +205/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 03:25:28 PM »
The tower of Babel was knocked over by Biblegod

A correction, here: Genesis does not in fact say that the tower was knocked down.  The ultimate fate of the tower is never given.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 03:26:11 PM »

To put it in proper bumper sticker terms:

ATHEISTS MAKE BABY JESUS CRY

Online One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +223/-30
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 03:26:54 PM »
The tower of Babel was knocked over by Biblegod

A correction, here: Genesis does not in fact say that the tower was knocked down.  The ultimate fate of the tower is never given.

My Portuguese teacher (a catholic) stated that the tower was taken apart by the builders because they couldn't understand each other.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +205/-5
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 03:30:21 PM »
My Portuguese teacher (a catholic) stated that the tower was taken apart by the builders because they couldn't understand each other.

Then he was either misinformed, or he was quoting from another source.  Genesis does not say this.  It says only that the people stopped building after their languages were scrambled.

Genesis 11:

1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech. 2 And it came to pass, as they journeyed from the east, that they found a plain in the land of Shinar; and they dwelt there. 3 And they said one to another, Go to, let us make brick, and burn them thoroughly. And they had brick for stone, and slime had they for mortar. 4 And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth. 5 And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the children built. 6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do; and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. 7 Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. 8 So the Lord scattered them abroad from thence upon the face of all the earth: and they left off to build the city. 9 Therefore is the name of it called Babel; because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth: and from thence did the Lord scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »

There's an old joke about 2 workman strugging with a heavy piece of furniture at each ending.  Making no progress, breathless and sweating, they take a break.

"At this rate we'll never get this unloaded and installed."

"Unloaded?  I thought we were taking this back to the truck!"

Did you Portuguese teacher figure out what language they used to instruct the men to disassemble it?

Online One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +223/-30
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 11:03:35 PM »
Then he was either misinformed, or he was quoting from another source.
<snip>

Probably both. She's also a conspiracy theorist. They're not exactly prone to critical thinking.

<snip>
Did you Portuguese teacher figure out what language they used to instruct the men to disassemble it?

I don't think so. I didn't bother to point out how ridiculous the whole story is, however. For example, if you were suddenly speaking in another language, unable to understand everyone else, you might be too scared to even try to finish building that "huge" tower you were working on.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »
Quote from: pianodwarf

Perhaps, but, as a child, I had a cartoonish style comic-book style, whatever, Bible (which was really thick) and it stated that Biblegod knocked it over because men were trying to get to heaven quicker.

-Nam

Online One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +223/-30
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »

Perhaps, but, as a child, I had a cartoonish style comic-book style, whatever, Bible (which was really thick) and it stated that Biblegod knocked it over because men were trying to get to heaven quicker.

-Nam

This is also what I was told.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
From a cartoon at http://thewaronfaith.org/FSCartoons3.html

"Jesus Christ. He is so cool. He's born, I get presents. He dies, I get candy."
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 09:20:24 PM »

-Nam

This is also what I was told.

Me, too. But there are may things I was (we were?) told that aren't actually in the bible. For exampkle, what was Cain's punishment?
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »
From a cartoon at http://thewaronfaith.org/FSCartoons3.html

"Jesus Christ. He is so cool. He's born, I get presents. He dies, I get candy."

I like this one:

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2011, 09:52:47 PM »
Do'h!

I finally went back to that page and scrolled down. (smacks self in head)

It's still great though.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 10:17:04 PM by Samothec »

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +151/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2011, 10:00:32 PM »

;)

-Nam

Yeah, it's known as the irony chariot paradox
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +238/-6
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
Gotta believe Jesus exists before you can be 'against' him.

Not according to them, but logic isn't their strong suit....by definition
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 10:18:38 AM »
Then he was either misinformed, or he was quoting from another source.  Genesis does not say this.  It says only that the people stopped building after their languages were scrambled.

Genesis 11:

1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech

the problem with Genesis 11's first line (as pointed out) is with Genesis 10:5:[1]

By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

They already had different languages.

;)

-Nam
 1. and so on

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +205/-5
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 10:28:46 AM »
Genesis 11:

1 And the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech

the problem with Genesis 11's first line (as pointed out) is with Genesis 10:5:[1]

By these were the isles of the Gentiles divided in their lands; every one after his tongue, after their families, in their nations.

They already had different languages.

;)

-Nam
 1. and so on

A contradiction in the bible?  Not possible.

I wasn't aware of that one.  Interesting.  I wonder how the bible-thumpers try to explain that one away.  I'd Google it if I thought it was worth the trouble.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 10:44:20 AM »
Quote from: Samothec
Me, too. But there are may things I was (we were?) told that aren't actually in the bible. For exampkle, what was Cain's punishment?

I was told that he was sent away.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 10:47:02 AM »
A contradiction in the bible?  Not possible.

I wasn't aware of that one.  Interesting.  I wonder how the bible-thumpers try to explain that one away.  I'd Google it if I thought it was worth the trouble.

It's right there, I mean, that's from the beginning of the chapter but it states the same thing near the end. 

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-76
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
For pianodwarf,

Here's someone asking the question, and someone trying to explain it:

“Can you explain why Genesis 11:1 says that the ‘whole earth was of one language,’ when earlier, in Genesis 10, there is mention of various ‘tongues’ (vv. 5,20,31)?”

One principle of Bible interpretation that constantly must be kept in mind is this: some portions of scripture are arranged chronologically, i.e., in time sequence, while others are set forth topically, i.e., according to the writer’s thematic development. Not recognizing this fact can create considerable confusion in the mind of a Bible student.

There is a common mode of expression in the Bible whereby subjects are addressed topically, rather than chronologically. This means that the material may be assembled to accommodate a particular subject, rather than according to the sequence in which things actually happened.

For example, the careful reader will notice that there are some differences in the material presented in Genesis 1, as distinct from Genesis 2. It is not that the two records conflict with one another, as radical scholars allege; rather, Genesis 1 is presented chronologically, while chapter 2 reflects a thematic development with emphasis upon humanity. (See “Do the First Two Chapters of Genesis Contradict One Another?”)
Christiancourier

The problem I have with that is, though I would agree with the part that throughout the Bible it does do that, from time-to-time, from chapter to chapter, it doesn't always do that, or at least it seems as if it doesn't.  In Chapter 10-11, it reads as if it's skipping ahead, more than anything, rather than reflecting back, or regurgitating what is meant.  This can be seen in most versions of the Bible, if one has read more than 1 (and I have).  One will notice gaps in the KJV, and when you read future versions of the Bible, one will note that the "gaps" seem to disappear, and it's made more clear to the reader as to why there aren't actually contradictions or inconsistencies when there actually are.

At least, in my opinion.

-Nam

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2011, 07:53:35 PM »
my quote edited for spelling (oops)
Quote from: Samothec
Me, too. But there are may things I was (we were?) told that aren't actually in the bible. For example, what was Cain's punishment?

I was told that he was sent away.

-Nam

I, too, was told he was banished to forever wander the Earth. Instead he finds a wife, settles down, has kids, builds a town and generally prospers. Not bad for a murderer.