Author Topic: "Catholics Come Home" Advertising Campaign  (Read 654 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
"Catholics Come Home" Advertising Campaign
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
Saw one of their ads on TV last night and couldn't believe my eyes or ears.  The Catholic church is now actually advertising for new members.  I don't believe they've ever done that before.  They must really be starting to feel the pinch.  (I can understand that.  It must be rather difficult to convince people to allow you to rape their children -- not a task I'd care to undertake even if I were inclined to do so.)

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: "Catholics Come Home" Advertising Campaign
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »
This along with that adopt an atheist program.  If I go missing you know they kidnapped me and Im in a camp somewhere for retaining. May the peace of the Lord be with you. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:56:18 AM »
Saw one of their ads on TV last night and couldn't believe my eyes or ears.  The Catholic church is now actually advertising for new members.  I don't believe they've ever done that before.  They must really be starting to feel the pinch.  (I can understand that.  It must be rather difficult to convince people to allow you to rape their children -- not a task I'd care to undertake even if I were inclined to do so.)

http://www.catholicscomehome.org/

This is just hilarious. Apparently God isn't doing a good enough job infecting people with the Holy Spirit.

Or, maybe, as you suggest, people don't want anything to do with an institution that turns its back on abuse victims while shuffling perps around, denying wrongdoing, and playing the victim.

I find the following from their website amusing: "At Catholics Come Home, we are dedicated to presenting the honest truth about even very difficult subjects. We want to share with you the beautiful, historical and miraculous aspects of the Catholic Church. People who have taken the time to explore our site are surprised to find out that there is much more to Catholicism than they ever realized."

I seriously doubt they will actually provide meaningful answers to the "difficult subjects". I wonder if that truth includes a Geocentric flat earth universe?

As far as "beautiful, historical and miraculous aspects of the Catholic Church" I am still struggling to think of an example that supports this. I don't consider burning people at the stake, strappado, and other forms of torture and violence to be "beautiful". The "historical" aspects of the Catholic Church include supporting slavery, persecution, misogyny, genocide, rape, racism, etc. Not something to boast about. The miraculous aspects of the Church? No more "miraculous" than the "miraculous" aspects of Voodoo (which is a blend of Catholicism and traditional African customs, as is Santeria).

This site appeals largely to the ignorant who are easily sold on such misinformation and appeals to emotion. Maybe they should just pray that God will send them more followers. If he does, their prayers will be answered, yay God! If not, it's not part of God's plan for the Church to have more followers. I doubt they would consider either the possibility that A) God does not like them or B) God is not real.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 09:59:32 AM »
This along with that adopt an atheist program.

The difference is, the adoption thing was the Catholic League, which, IIRC, is not a formal entity of the church.  These ads are coming straight from the church itself.

A while back, Greta Christina wrote an excellent piece asking, quite simply, "Why Are You Still Catholic?", which I've referenced here before several times in other threads.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/greta/2010/05/25/why-are-y/

I emailed her this morning to let her know about this ad campaign.  I hope she does a column about it.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline enagua

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »
Perhaps I am delusional. I still want to believe that the majority of priests out there are not inclined to rape children. How the church handled it though sickens me.

I am not surprised though that they are finally advertising for members. I am trying to go threw all the paperwork for an annulment. My fiance is Catholic and I am a nonbeliever. I handed in over sixteen pages on explaining my past and why my previous marriage did not work. I just received another form with eight questions that I had already answered.

Needless to say I am frustrated and find this to be arrogant of the church. If you were to take away all other aspects of it's violent history, and just focused on the paperwork alone, yuck. It is things like this that keep rational, logical people from joining an organized religion.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
Perhaps I am delusional. I still want to believe that the majority of priests out there are not inclined to rape children.

I don't think you're delusional.  The percentage of priests who rape children is likely very small.  I'd be surprised if it were even as much as one out of every ten.  (Which is still too many, of course, but you know what I mean.)

That's not the issue, though.  The issue is:

How the church handled it though sickens me.

Exactly.

I am not surprised though that they are finally advertising for members. I am trying to go threw all the paperwork for an annulment. My fiance is Catholic and I am a nonbeliever. I handed in over sixteen pages on explaining my past and why my previous marriage did not work. I just received another form with eight questions that I had already answered.

I'm sorry to hear that.  Divorce is rarely a smooth process, but I've never heard of anything like this.  I hope you can get it finished soon, and as painlessly as possible.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
I wanted to send this note to them by email or contact form, but -- surprise, surprise -- they don't include one anywhere.  So I figured I'd post it here and see what other stuff folks here think should be added to the list.

-----

Hi!  I saw your television ad for "Catholics Come Home" and would very much like to join the faith!  However, since I'm unclear about a few things, I did want to check in with you before I got the ball rolling on getting my reservation in the "Hotel Hades" cancelled.  Please get back to me at your earliest convenience… thanks.

1)  The Catholic Church once threatened Galileo with excommunication and death for saying that the earth goes around the sun, rather than vice versa.  The church was wrong, but since that's always the case with the church when it comes to matters of science, this is to be expected.  But this is what I'm unclear about: why did it take the church until 1992 to admit it?

2)  When I told a friend of mine that I was thinking about becoming Catholic, he asked me to explain why the church prefers war, pestilence, and starvation over condoms.  I told him I wasn't clear and that I would need to check with you.

3)  I have two children, both boys, ages 8 and 11.  I would like to ensure that they, too, receive the full benefits of membership in the church.  In that regard, can you guarantee that they will be entrusted to the care of one of the many thousands of priests in your ranks who regularly rape children?  (I'm not concerned about the priests being captured and brought to justice by law enforcement.  You're very good at protecting them.)

4)  Catholic practice in seeking converts used to be to torture nonbelievers and ultimately kill them if they didn't convert.  Why did you switch from this method to television advertisements?

5)  I understand that the act of taking communion involves drinking wine and eating crackers that have been magically transformed into Jesus' blood and body, respectively.  After the Catholic church, which faith is the next-largest one that routinely practices cannibalism in its services?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 12:11:17 PM »
Perhaps I am delusional. I still want to believe that the majority of priests out there are not inclined to rape children. How the church handled it though sickens me.

This. And just so everyone knows, it's not just the catholic church. I had an uncle who was a pedophile and he was a lutheran minister. The lutheran church did the exact same thing. Moved him around from state to state whenever he was caught, never once thinking to fire him or warn his new parishoners. By the time we and the rest of the extended family found out what he'd been doing, he'd raped his sons, his grandsons, and numerous boys in his church. I could not believe how the church handled it.  :( Those poor children. I know my cousins will never be the same, and I shudder to think of the sheer numbers of kids who were exposed to him and other monsters like him.

...I am trying to go threw all the paperwork for an annulment. My fiance is Catholic and I am a nonbeliever...

I've never understood the concept of anullment. It's like anything else the church doesn't want to acknowledge. It's like saying "la la la la, the marriage never happened." Hello, the marriage happened. What about kids? I had a friend growing up who was from a catholic woman's first marriage. Because her name was different, and her mom's marriage had apparently never happened, accoding to the church, she felt like a second class citizen.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
(I can understand that.  It must be rather difficult to convince people to allow you to rape their children -- not a task I'd care to undertake even if I were inclined to do so.)

I don't think that has anything to do with it.  It has more to do with more or less appealing religious ideas.  The RCC made a huge liberal leap in the 60s and 70s.  The reaction was a host ultra-conservative clergy being appointed and promoted by the Cardinals.  Right now the church hierarchy is trying to push doctrine that most of their followers do not agree with.  In the darwinian market of memes, they are making themselves extinct.

And it would be refreshing if someone could prove Screwtape's First Law of the Intertubes[1] false.  I mean, jesus christ, man.  Does "pedophile" have to follow "catholic" all the fricken time?  It is not like it is part of the doctrine or that it is unusually common[2].  It is not clever and it does not make a particularly good point about anything.  Let it go already. 

edit - second --> first
 1. any internet discussion of religion or especially Catholicism will eventually elicit references to pedophiles.
 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sex_abuse_cases#Scope_and_nature
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:10:54 PM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
I'll add this to PianoDwarf's list

6.  I do want to experience the healing miracles of the church.  Can you tell me why the popes have only gone to medical doctors when available rather than showing up at Lourdes?  Why weren't the prayers of millions of Catholics enough to get that bullet out of JP 2?  Why is this god limited to the discoveries of men and has allows billions to suffer? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »
And it would be refreshing if someone could prove Screwtape's Second Law of the Intertubes[1] false.  I mean, jesus christ, man.  Does "pedophile" have to follow "catholic" all the fricken time?  It is not like it is part of the doctrine or that it is unusually common[2].  It is not clever and it does not make a particularly good point about anything.  Let it go already.
 1. any internet discussion of religion or especially Catholicism will eventually elicit references to pedophiles.
 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sex_abuse_cases#Scope_and_nature

It really is surprising to me how many people don't seem to "get" this.  The scandal isn't that the priests are raping children (or that it is or isn't uncommon, or anything else like that).  That's a tragedy, but it's not the scandal.  The scandal is the lengths that the church goes to to cover it all up and protect the perpetrators as a matter of institutional policy, extending all the way up to and including the pope himself.  I am not aware of any organization even approaching the size and reach of the church's that does the same thing, especially not one that claims to speak with supreme moral authority for the entire human race.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:16:02 PM »
Do we have a New-Age Pope?

;)

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 03:39:45 PM »

It really is surprising to me how many people don't seem to "get" this.  The scandal isn't that the priests are raping children (or that it is or isn't uncommon, or anything else like that).  That's a tragedy, but it's not the scandal.  The scandal is the lengths that the church goes to to cover it all up and protect the perpetrators as a matter of institutional policy, extending all the way up to and including the pope himself.  I am not aware of any organization even approaching the size and reach of the church's that does the same thing, especially not one that claims to speak with supreme moral authority for the entire human race.

This is precisely the problem. I totally agree. An institution which claims absolute moral authority directly from God, yet has little to no internal accountability, is deserving of any and all ridicule it gets. I think that too many people jump to the "pedophile priest" stereotype, and forget that the biggest problem is the blatant and insulting efforts to avoid justice.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
It really is surprising to me how many people don't seem to "get" this. 

Are you saying I don't get it?  That I am not aware what the scandal is really about?  That the problem was the systemic protection of the church over children?  If so, spit the marbles out of your mouth and say it rather than dance around and imply it.  I would entertain a direct dicsussion about it, but passive-agressive bullshit does not fly.  And that right there is some passive-agressive bullshit.

My point was the child rape scandal has nothing to do with the topic at hand.  Does this need to be mentioned every. single. time. the RCC is brought up?  I mean, holy shit man, is there anyone here who is not aware of what happened?  And do we bring up the very real point of child rape as doctrine every. single. time. the LDS is mentioned?  No we don't.  Do we bring up female genital mutilation every. single. time. islam is brought up?  No we don't.  Does bringing up the scandal every. single. time. you say "catholic" to a forum of atheists do anything to fix the problem or change the RCC?  No, it doesn't.

So would it be possible for us to just once in a while, not have to say "pedophiles" in the same breath as "Catholics" particularly when that has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation at hand? 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 04:54:09 PM »

So would it be possible for us to just once in a while, not have to say "pedophiles" in the same breath as "Catholics" particularly when that has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation at hand?

I think the actual scandal is relevant, because it is possible that due to eroding trust in the Catholic Church as a result, they need to launch this recruitment scheme. It's certainly not the only contributing factor, but a violation of trust at such a level is just beyond outrage[1], and more troubling than changing the mass, or telling you followers to be anti abortion (though this is admittedly troubling in it's own way).

I would agree though, using the term "pedophile" in regards to anything Catholic is getting a bit tedious, and really kind of misses the point of the nature of the scandal. If the Church had immediately turned these perpetrators over to authorities and cooperated fully with all investigations, there wouldn't have been a scandal. That is the heart of the problem.
 1. especially when the RCC considers itself to be a direct and absolute moral authority from God

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 05:10:17 PM »
I think the actual scandal is relevant, because it is possible that due to eroding trust in the Catholic Church as a result, they need to launch this recruitment scheme.

I suppose it is possible.  But if that is the point, then show me the money.  You know what sticklers we are supposed to be about supporting our claims.  Everything I have seen or read indicates that the vast majority of catholics stand by the Church while condemning the individuals involved, except Pope Dracula.  They let him off the hook out of sheer denial.   But reality can change my mind. Let me have it.  Serve up a good dose of reality.  What factor does the pedo thing play in this recruitment drive?

Sorry to rant, but this shit makes a man weary.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 05:30:44 PM »
You know what sticklers we are supposed to be about supporting our claims. 

Indeed. That's fair of you to ask. From Germany http://www.thelocal.de/society/20100324-26081.html
From Ireland: http://www.christiantoday.com/article/reputation.of.catholic.church.in.tatters.says.priest/24756.htm

Hmm admittedly I am not finding much to back up this claim. I may have to reconsider that, unless I find more to support it. Thanks for making me think.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 07:50:04 AM »
Thanks for making me think.

You are welcome, brother.  It's what I do.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials