Author Topic: Egregious attempt to co-opt Hitchens  (Read 328 times)

Offline desmodia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
Egregious attempt to co-opt Hitchens
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:03:41 PM »
Today's New York Times has an opinion piece by Ross Douthat which attempts to grab some of Hitchens' articulate passion for the theists' side.

We knew this was coming, but it's sickening to see it happening. Patronizing, condescending, and fatuous.

Here's a link to -- get this -- The Believer's Atheist http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/opinion/sunday/douthat-the-believers-atheist.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Go ahead and try to co-opt him, tacky and dishonest as that may be, Mr. Douthat -- he's not on your side and never will be.
"Ak..Ak..AK AK!" from the Martian emperor's speech to Congress, Mars Attacks

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: Egregious attempt to co-opt Hitchens
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »
Douthat is a slimy toad. The comments on his piece are 99% pro-Hitch and anti-Douthat.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 05:50:46 PM »
IIRC, PZ Myers[1], "I can't imagine being Russ Douthat.  I can't imagine having a mind so warped."
 1. Mr. Pharyngula himself

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:05:05 PM »
Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is someone I once called typically smarmy.  However that, his elegy for Hitchens has this hook, "I have no doubt that Christopher Hitchens will have an afterlife."  The HuffPo editors cleverly selected that on the link to the article to get your blood boiling.  (Support yellow journalism!  Read the HuffPo!)  The quote is,

I have no doubt that Christopher Hitchens will have an afterlife. As one of the most original and provocative writers of his generation, his words will continue to mesmerize, incite, confound, and entertain.

Boteach does try to hijack Hitchens because Hitchens had some Jewish ancestry on his mother's side.  But unlike Douthat he does try to retroactively make him into a theist. 

This year Boteach had sent him a case of Kosher wine to be drunk at Hannukkah.  Hitchens wrote back that he had already drunk it.  They were planning a 5th debate as soon as Hitchens' voice recovered.

Boteach's elegy is rather good:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rabbi-shmuley-boteach/christopher-hitchens-and-_b_1153880.html

Then after enjoying that, harsh your buzz by reading this just-plain-stupid one from a Lutheran trying to make Hitchens somehow into Lutheran: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brandon-g-withrow/christopher-hitchens-as-a_b_1153873.html

Offline desmodia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
Shamelessness has no ceiling.
"Ak..Ak..AK AK!" from the Martian emperor's speech to Congress, Mars Attacks

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +406/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:24:16 AM »
Quote from: Ross Douchehat
When stripped of Marxist fairy tales and techno-utopian happy talk, rigorous atheism casts a wasting shadow over every human hope and endeavor.

This, from a man who worships before the image of someone being brutally tortured to death.  Project much?
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:48:15 AM »
There is a fairly new book out there whose title is "Hitch".  It is an autobio by the man himself. An interesting read tho it gets a bit tedious at times. He really did a lot of stuff in his lifetime. Much more than we generally supposed.  While reading it I got the impression that he knew it was to be his last Hurrah.