Poll

Why did god create death? His heaven and hell are eternal and so why only one death?

He created death because he likes to scare us mortals.
1 (4.5%)
He created death just because he likes to kill things.
2 (9.1%)
He created death because his living creations just aren't good enough to last forever.
1 (4.5%)
He created death accidently, because he's a senile old baffon
2 (9.1%)
Some other reason - (maybe because he didn't) god was created after death.
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Why did god create death?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Why did god create death?
« on: December 18, 2011, 01:07:35 AM »
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Why did god create death?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:32:47 AM »
Simply put: YHWH is the greatest troll in troll history.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 01:33:05 AM »
I could come up with something cute, I guess. But sadly, death created god. Or, more precisely, the fear of death did.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline C

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • Counter-Theist Taskforce
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 01:37:12 AM »

This. Either that or the people who made him.
The Second C

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 01:40:08 AM »

This. Either that or the people who made him.

I think the people who made him were just frightened[1] idiots[2].
 1. See ParkingPlaces' post.
 2. See the Bible.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 01:51:13 AM »
I agree with ParkingPlaces to an extent.

My wife fears death and I can see where her fear of the unknown has frightened her into some sort of pseudo belief in the Christian narrative.

I, however, have no fear at all of passing. To be honest, there are certain ways to die that I would prefer to avoid. But if there is an after life, I have no way of knowing what that will entail for me. It can't be any worse than being born...that was a pretty major event in my life but I have no memory of it. I suspect death would be about the same. I will cross that bridge when I get there.

If there is no afterlife...what's to fear?

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 05:51:59 AM »
To be honest, there are certain ways to die that I would prefer to avoid.

Yikes... me too. Anything to do with crocodiles would be bad I reckon. Or rats. Even gangrene does't do much for me. But I'm a bit confused about
It can't be any worse than being born...that was a pretty major event in my life but I have no memory of it. I suspect death would be about the same.

Are you suggesting you believe in a life after death? With a memory lapse of the passing over? Personally I'd expect to be in no position to have a "memory" of the event as my expectations are of oblivion.
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 08:08:33 AM »
Simple...because of Eve and that damn apple...death is a result of sin.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 08:37:44 AM »
On Supernatural Dean has a conversation with Death at a pizzeria in Chicago where since Death wanted to eat His pizza in peace He killed everyone in the place. 

Satan had managed to get a magical upper hand over Him on Earth and while Dean could never hope to control Death, He'd be grateful for being freed from Satan.

He told Dean that He was one of the 2 oldest beings in the universe -- He and God.  "It's been so long neither of Us remembers who is older."  Eventually, when the universe ends Death will be the last being because he will take God. 

"You'll reap God!" says Dean.

"Yes," says Death.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:49:44 AM by Historicity »

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 08:50:09 AM »
<snip>

That's Death (the personification and the most epic character in the Supernatural universe). This is about death (the phenomenon).
We choose our own gods.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +236/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »

Because Adam looked down upon his lovely wife Eve, then looked to the heavens and said, "Am I really going to be stuck with this bitch forever?  I thought you were merciful." 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 09:08:20 AM »
So far, there is no death.  From the beginning of life on this planet, life has never completely ceased, as far as we know.  Ultimately, if the planet itself is swallowed by it's own sun, or if the sun burns out, this planet that we are on will cease to sustain life.  However, who is to say that the existing life will not figure out how to survive?

P.S.  I wanted to just say that there is no god, but that was too dismissive of the OP, I'm sure!  So I came up with my own cute answer, that is probably going to be seen as ignoring the obvious question.  ;D

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:00:02 AM »
That's Death (the personification and the most epic character in the Supernatural universe). This is about death (the phenomenon).

No, the thread is not.   We have been talking about hypothetical, likely fictional characters, like God.  My comment is not off topic.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 11:17:56 AM »
But I'm a bit confused about
It can't be any worse than being born...that was a pretty major event in my life but I have no memory of it. I suspect death would be about the same.

Are you suggesting you believe in a life after death? With a memory lapse of the passing over? Personally I'd expect to be in no position to have a "memory" of the event as my expectations are of oblivion.

No...I was saying that IF there is an afterlife then that is how I think it might be. I will not remember this life nor the act of dying. What I do IN this life may effect what sort of afterlife I experience but I wont know. Kinda like Karma and reincarnation only on a different plane of existence.

These are merely old thoughts that still linger in my mind. At this point I have no idea what happens, I was just explaining that either way, I'm cool with death.

I like Jetson's POV that death has not really occurred yet. I've never looked at it that way.

Also, my wife found and suggested Supernatural a few days ago and we watched the first episode but it scared her so badly that she won't watch any more. Since then I have seen several references to the show. Ima have to start watching without her I guess  :-\
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 12:06:35 PM »

Also, my wife found and suggested Supernatural a few days ago and we watched the first episode but it scared her so badly that she won't watch any more. Since then I have seen several references to the show. Ima have to start watching without her I guess  :-\

You know, it's not just theists that can be genuinely frightened by depictions of supernatural, especially the more modern shows and movies, where it looks far more "realistic" than in the early days of movies and shows. It is so real looking, that our brains have a hard time separating it from fantasy and fiction.  This could be a major contributor to the fear behind most faith (my opinion).

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
I could come up with something cute, I guess. But sadly, death created god. Or, more precisely, the fear of death did.

That's pretty much how I see it.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 03:49:53 PM »
When a genetic bloodline ends, is that another death separate from the death of the last member?
If the brain dies, is that a separate death from the death of the other organs that died earlier?
and so and so on..?

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 04:07:37 PM »

Yep! This is why we have imaginary gods.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
Genesis is a folk tale designed not to be believed but, as in the manner of many folk tales, to give an entertaining explanation for something to which there is no answer.

Some 9 year old Bronze Age peasant child once asked, "Why do people die?" and the story began. So popular was it that it was told and re-told and entered into folk-history.

The puzzle is why the person explaining didn't say, "That's what happens when you get too old and things wear out." as was known and said in other cultures. Perhaps they did... a lot of the patriarchs die when they get old, and because of age.

Perhaps the question was, "Why do people have to die?" which requires a nebulous answer given the state of biological knowledge at the time. Anything here will do, but as there was a heaven, then Genesis seems to explain the reason.

In the folk tale of Cinderella, Cinderella dies temporarily and is resurrected by a kiss (In the original story the Prince shagged her) so be grateful that the fundies aren't going around praising 7 dwarves.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 10:53:48 PM »
Genesis is a folk tale designed not to be believed but, as in the manner of many folk tales, to give an entertaining explanation for something to which there is no answer.

Some 9 year old Bronze Age peasant child once asked, "Why do people die?" and the story began. So popular was it that it was told and re-told and entered into folk-history.

The puzzle is why the person explaining didn't say, "That's what happens when you get too old and things wear out." as was known and said in other cultures. Perhaps they did... a lot of the patriarchs die when they get old, and because of age.

Perhaps the question was, "Why do people have to die?" which requires a nebulous answer given the state of biological knowledge at the time. Anything here will do, but as there was a heaven, then Genesis seems to explain the reason.

I always imagined that the cultures which incorporated such grandiose tales were under the guidance of shaman types. The villages looked to these mushroom eating/dope smoking story tellers for answers to life's most difficult questions.

In the folk tale of Cinderella, Cinderella dies temporarily and is resurrected by a kiss (In the original story the Prince shagged her) so be grateful that the fundies aren't going around praising 7 dwarves.

I think you meant Snow White. My question is does the Snow White story have it's roots in old Pagan myths?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 11:05:34 PM »

Let me try a pseudo theist answer:

All other things being equal, then because he knew we would have used up this planets resources and savaged ourselves in the process long before we ever learned self control or figured out how to get off of it . 

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
Let me try a pseudo theist answer:
All other things being equal, then because he knew we would have used up this planets resources and savaged ourselves in the process long before we ever learned self control or figured out how to get off of it .

Err .. was the manna from heaven not enough? Remember we're talking garden of eden here..

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 11:36:16 PM »
Err .. was the manna from heaven not enough? Remember we're talking garden of eden here..

Look, I suck as a christian ok?...until just this very moment I did not realize that manna from heaven was in the bible. I don't even know exactly what it means. The only thing I think of is those crabs on the pipe lines in Finding Nemo. I just thought I would offer a possible explanation from my own special blend of SPAG, you know...to liven up the place  ;)

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 01:36:53 AM »
On Supernatural Dean has a conversation with Death at a pizzeria in Chicago where since Death wanted to eat His pizza in peace He killed everyone in the place. 
[snipped]

When I saw this (I watched 6 seasons in about two weeks) it got me a-thinkin'

Death may have been offended by Biblegod's creation of an eternal place, filled with eternally living beings.  Death might have been the first to say "so what am I, chopped liver?" 

When biblegod created the earth and life on it, we may surmise that he at first intended for mankind to live forever as well.  Perhaps the serpent in the garden was actually Death, who knew if A&E pissed off god, god would let death have them.  The enemy has been misidentified.  Death, and the decay that precedes it are the true enemy, not some fallen angel.

Yes.  I think too much about some tv shows. It substitutes for any real intellectual activity.  Death take me now  :)

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 06:11:17 AM »
Maybe death already existed when bodies could no longer function after they were damaged.
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 06:15:01 AM »
<snip>
Yes.  I think too much about some tv shows. It substitutes for any real intellectual activity.  Death take me now  :)

Hey, you may have something there. Death has expressed his feelings when people are brought back to life. It would only stand to reason that he would have been the one to "corrupt" A&E. Or it might just have been his desire for power. The horsemen appear to be as powerful as the problem they represent.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 02:45:47 PM »
I think you meant Snow White.
Yes - you're right.
My question is does the Snow White story have it's roots in old Pagan myths?
not as far as I know, some countries have their own take on it, but is seems to have started around the early Middle Ages. I assume it came with wandering storytellers (the old form of cable TV.)

The oldest Folk Tale known is The Tale of Two BrothersWiki (not for the squeamish) it dates back to ~1185 BC. (Note how it's a folk tale but how it has gods in it.)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
Look How I ONCE Rationalized!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2011, 03:08:52 PM »
Back in the day, I tried to address this question like this:

Consider the theory that sin and evil create or should I say bring entropy into whatever system it (sin) is introduced. As long as the cancer of sin survives, the system will continue to drift further and further into disorder, pain, suffering, corruption, until finally, the system will cease to be able to be sustained. So in this way, we can see just how the wages of sin is death.

With this idea in mind, we can make sence of the teaching in scripture that tells man not to love the world. The world is infected and dying and the only way to survive is to come out of it. The means by which we can be redeemed from the world is what I term as The Divine Gift.
I can see how sin is the sickness and death is the mechanism used to fight off the infection. Our universe combats sin by inflicting death so that sin cannot persist endlessly. Ultimately, death is intended to kill off the sin infection and once it has accomplished that task, it too will be done away with.
For those who survive this world, we will ever be mindful of two things. One being the Divine Gift that redeemed us from the curse of sin and secondly, the reprocussions of sin. With these things etched in mind, the survivors will not participate in or give sin a chance to be reborn in the new habitation because they know the consequences.

-----
Divine Gift defined: (not being destroyed with the rest of the universe)
I believe that this is where His love for us is truly apparent in that though our "usefulness expires, He grants us the opportunity to not only continue to exist, but also exist in a "new" habitation not infected with evil. In order to receive this gift, we must do so on God's terms, because remember, we are limited creatures. Those of us who submit to those terms will be blessed with the gift that GOD offers while those who do not will not be spared the destruction that is reserved for our reality anyway.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:14:29 PM by Truth OT »

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Re: Look How I ONCE Rationalized!!!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2011, 06:06:27 PM »
Our universe combats sin by inflicting death so that sin cannot persist endlessly.

Woo Hoo! If death ends sin, then when anyone dies they are thus cleansed sinless, and going to heaven.. no need for hell anymore eh..?